For sure, most of girls and women wish to possess a thick and bobbing hair to make them look gorgeous and attractive. Thus, taking care of hair is necessary to females and of course, losing hair is truly their anxiety. Hair loss sometimes is called alopecia; it is the phenomenon of losing too much hair and can occur in both females and males. The signs of the disease are that hair loses a lot when you wash or stroke your hair by hands, hair loses more than 100 strands a day, hair loses when hair is wet and dry, hair becomes sparse and can clearly see the scalp in females and mild bald in males. Hair loss is a very common disease and normally everyone can face at least once in life. But luckily, we can stop this disease immediately if you can find out some effective home remedies for alopecia.
In general, alopecia often occurs when nutrients necessary for hair such as proteins or vitamins are inadequate or even occurs after giving birth. Other reasons for this issue are improper shampoo, water pollution, stress, and cosmetic overdose. If hair loss, however, lasts longer and becomes more serious, there may be some dangerous diseases behind. Therefore, it is essential for you to resolve the hair-losing problem right after seeing its symptoms. You do not need to meet doctors immediately; instead, let’s try some following ancient, proven natural home remedies for alopecia areata introduced on our Effective Remedies site. These remedies are collected from sharing of those who recovered from this disease. Therefore, you are highly recommended to keep reading this article and find some proper home remedies for alopecia areata that work for yourself.
- Best natural home remedies for hair fall control & treatment
- Everything you need to know about hair loss
- Natural home remedies for hair growth and strength fast
- How to grow thick hair fast & naturally at home
31 Ancient, Proven Natural Home Remedies For Alopecia Areata
1. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Onion
Onion is an ingredient that every housewife knows. But not everyone that besides being a good food for the body, onion is also one of the effective home remedies for alopecia due to a large amount of sulfur contained in it. Depending on the amount of sulfur in the body, the skin, hair, and nails will be healthy or weak. If your hair is adequately supplied with sulfur, it will look healthy and develop better. Moreover, not only can the insufficiency of sulfur cause you to get a dry skin, weak nails, and vulnerable hair, but it also makes you feel more tired than usual with headaches and allergies. Thus, supplementing sulfur from onions is a good idea to help you become healthy and have a beautiful hair .
- Crush an onion to get its juice
- Apply the juice on your scalp for 15 minutes
- Shampoo with warm water
- Crush some onions to get 2.5 cups of onion juice
- Boil it and then leave it cool down within 50 minutes
- Slowly pour this liquid on the hair and then wash with shampoo and water
- Mix ¼ cup of onion juice with a teaspoon of honey
- Apply this mixture on the hair for 15 minutes daily
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
- Chop some onions and then put them in a jar
- Add some rum and leave it within 24 hours
- Strain it to get the liquid
- Apply it on the hair and gently massage the scalp
You are encouraged to do these above home remedies for alopecia regularly to get good results. It is noticeable that you should leave your hair dry naturally after using a towel to wipe it dry.
See more: Natural home remedies for dry hair
2. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Garlic
Garlic is another kitchen ingredient that is used as one of the other home remedies for alopecia. This is because garlic contains a lot of B vitamins (such as vitamin B1 & vitamin B2) and vitamin E, which can support the process of converting necessary proteins to help to give you a healthier hair, stimulate the hair growth, and restrict hair loss . Besides, garlic is rich in sulfur and nutrients that can improve the production of collagen. However, only when used properly at the right time, this remedy brings a completely good result. Below are the three most common home remedies for alopecia with garlic that you should not ignore.
- Prepare some peeled garlic and puree them
- After cleaning the hair and scalp, apply pureed garlic on the areas of hair loss for 20-30 minutes
- Wash the hair with warm water and shampoo to remove the garlic smell
- Squeeze garlic to get its juice
- Apply the juice to your hair and scalp
- Gently massage the scalp from 30 to 40 minutes
- Wash your hair with warm water and shampoo
Garlic has a bactericidal effect while it provides the hair follicles with nutrients to make hairs grow back rapidly. Please do these solutions regularly and continuously for 10 days and then stop for 10 days before continuing the second phase to get the best effect.
- Mix one teaspoon of vitamin A or E with one teaspoon of honey, one teaspoon of castor oil, 1-2 garlic cloves, one egg yolk, and two teaspoons of olive oil
- Apply this mixture to the hair and use a towel to wrap the hair for 30 minutes
- Wash your hair with water
With this method, you should do every 2 days, which will help you to prevent hair loss effectively. Be patient to do this method regularly to get rid of alopecia as soon as possible.
3. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Eggs
Eggs are a nutritious food that is familiar to everyone. However, not all people know that eggs are also used as one of the home remedies for alopecia. This is because eggs contain a lot of protein that is beneficial for nourishing the hair and repairing a damaged hair. Especially, taking care of hair with eggs can promote hair to grow thicker, which is suitable for those who are suffering from hair loss. Depending on the type of the hair, you will use white or yolk. Egg whites are suitable for oily hair since the whites are capable of absorbing excess oil on the hair and scalp. If your hair is normal or dry, it is a good idea to use egg yolks to nourish the hair.
Remedy 1: An egg yolk mask for dry hair and normal hair
Egg yolks contain more protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and many fatty acids . These nutrients help to stimulate hair growth and prevent premature alopecia. Besides egg yolk, olive oil can also smooth your hair, keep it moisturized, prevent it from turning white, and keep it fresh & healthy
- Mix 2 egg yolks with 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Add a cup of water to the mixture
- Use fingers to evenly apply this mixture to the scalp, wrap the hair with a towel, and wait for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse your hair with water or with shampoo if you do not want to keep the smell of eggs on your head.
You will notice that the hair is improved after the first application. You only need to apply this remedy 1 to 2 times per month.
Remedy 2: A white egg mask for oily hair
With a white egg mask, you also use olive oil to moisturize the hair; but you need to add honey. People with oily hair may face acne on their scalp, especially in the forehead area due to the pore obstruction. In this remedy, honey can help to reduce acne and bacteria and keep your hair and scalp clean. The main ingredient of this mask is egg white that is responsible for absorbing excess oil and keeping your scalp clean, all of which helps your hair to grow faster.
- Mix 2 egg whites with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of honey (if your hair is long, you can use a double amount of these ingredients)
- Apply this mixture to the scalp and wrap the hair with a towel within 14-20 minutes
- Wash the hair off with water or shampoo if you want
Similar to the remedy 1, you should apply this method 1-2 times per month, depending on the condition of your hair.
4. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Aloe Vera
Another of the natural home remedies for alopecia that you should try is aloe vera. Aloe vera is very well-known for its wonderful benefits for beauty, such as taking care of skin, removing acne, etc. Moreover, aloe vera also has a great effect on the hair loss and it has gained many females’ trust . Aloe vera gel is a biological active element that enhances the effectiveness of hair regeneration. Moreover, it also contains a high level of vitamin D and many other vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. A few vitamins such as vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, and vitamin B12 are very useful in promoting the growth of hair follicles. Additionally, a salicylic acid found in aloe vera is a compound similar to aspirin. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help to prevent scalp diseases such as hair folliculitis and dandruff. Besides, aloe vera contains plenty of water and antioxidants, helping to moisturize the hair very well. Therefore, not only is aloe vera used to stop alopecia but it also makes your hair soft and strong. The remedy with aloe vera is truly effective, simple, and inexpensive. The following are home remedies for alopecia with aloe vera that you can learn in more detail.
- Use a knife to split aloe vera leave into 2 halves to get its meat and then squeeze the aloe vera juice
- Mix the juice with 2 teaspoons of honey or with a fresh lemon’s juice
- After shampooing and drying your hair, apply the mixture on the scalp and hair, massage the scalp gently so that the nutrients can permeate evenly
- After about 20 minutes, wash with cold water
- Perform 2-3 times per week to get the best result
Mixing lemon with aloe vera not only alleviates hair loss but also effectively clean the scalp to prevent dandruff. Natural acid in lemon juice helps to kill bacteria, which enables to prevent skin diseases.
- Mix aloe vera gel with enough coconut oil
- After shampooing and drying your hair, use the mixture to massage the hair and scalp for 20 minutes
- Wash with warm water to remove excess oil
- Perform this method regularly 2-3 times per week, hair loss will be significantly reduced
Aloe vera and coconut oil are two common ingredients for beauty that many women choose to use. They both provide the hair nutrients and moisture to help it grow back quickly and healthily. Therefore, you should do these 2 home remedies for alopecia frequently to stop hair loss and improve the quality of your hair.
5. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Honey
Honey is like a best friend of every woman in taking care of their beauty. Doubtless, honey has marvelous functions to improve the skin, get rid of acne and considerably intensify the immune system. Not only that, honey also supplements many nutrients necessary for recovering damaged hair, helping them become stronger, longer, and shinier. In fact, honey contains many enzymes and antibacterial & anti-fungal properties that significantly help the hair roots and scalp become cleaner. The moisture-retaining properties found in honey also assist in regulating and maintaining moisture in the hair. Apart from that, honey is believed to enhance healthy growth of hair follicles. Especially, glucose oxidase enzyme in honey slowly liberates hydrogen peroxide, a component known to brighten the hair color . Therefore, honey is always listed in the top effective home remedies for alopecia that you should apply immediately if you want to have a beautiful hair.
The simplest way is using only honey without any other ingredients combined.
- After shampooing, you do not dry your hair completely, leave it to remain slightly moist to absorb more nutrients
- Use a sufficient amount of honey to evenly apply on total scalp and hair
- Gently massage the scalp and hair so that the hair follicles easily absorb nutrients from the honey
- After 30 minutes, rinse your hair with lukewarm water
- Perform regularly 3-4 times per week, by this way, the hair will significantly decrease dry and fracture
- Mix sugar-free milk with 2-3 teaspoons of honey
- Use this mixture instead of shampoo to wash the hair
- Or evenly apply this mixture on the scalp and hair, wrap the hair for 1 hour with a towel
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of honey with aloe vera gel and add some drops of olive oil
- Use this mixture to rub on the scalp and hair, wrap it within 30 minutes
- Perform the remedy regularly 3-4 times per weeks to increase hair elasticity and reduce hair loss
- Add a tablespoon of coconut juice, some avocado’s meat, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 tablespoons of olive oil in a grinder
- Grind well and place this ground mixture on every layer of hair
- After a half or one hour, wash the hair with water
- This method can help to prevent dry, hard, vulnerable hair phenomenon. You can store this mixture in the refrigerator within 2 weeks to use regularly.
- Peel a banana and crush it
- Mix the crushed banana with some honey and a chicken egg
- After shampoo, apply the mixture on your hair, gently massage for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water
Because eggs and bananas provide vitamins to restore a weak hair while the moisturizing, antibacterial properties of honey keep your hair healthy and reduce alopecia. Follow this remedy frequently to get an attractive hair.
6. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Almond Oil
Another powerful ingredient used in many home remedies for alopecia is almond oil. Women generally like sweet foods, so almond is surely very familiar with them. But not every woman knows that almond oil that is extracted from almonds is extremely useful in stop hair loss. The reasons why almond oil is such a great ingredient are that it contains the vitamins and minerals necessary for the body and hair, including vitamin E, manganese, fiber and especially phenylalanine. In particular, Vitamin E helps to provide the necessary moisture to the hair so that the hair becomes shiny and the hair loss due to dryness decreases. In addition, vitamin E is involved in the cell regeneration and protects cells from harmful agents. As a result, the aging process of the body, typical of the symptoms of hair loss, is pushed back. Manganese stimulates the activity of enzymes in the body and supports the production of calcium and phosphorus. Hence, biological processes go faster and more efficiently, enabling hair to grow and to avoid the risk of hair loss.
Fiber helps the digestive system work well while minimizing the amount of cholesterol in the blood which is enough condition for the production and development of the hormone causing loss hair. Meanwhile, phenylalanine has been shown to improve memory and regulate the nervous system so that the mind becomes relaxed and refreshed. Then, hormones in the body avoid some risk of the disorder. This is the basis for protecting your hair from breakage . There are two home remedies for alopecia with almond oil that you should not miss.
- Take some drops of almond oil into a palm
- Apply the oil on the entire scalp and from the hair roots to the end of hairs
- Gently massage so that the nutrients permeate deeply into the scalp
- Do this solution for 2-3 times per week after shampooing
- Mix a tablespoon of almond oil with one tablespoon of honey and an egg yolk to make a paste
- After shampooing, apply this mixture on the entire scalp and hair
- Wrap the hair for about 1 hour with a towel
- Rinse the hair with water
- Perform this remedy regularly once per week to reduce alopecia.
7. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Mustard Oil
Mustard is typically an ingredient used to make food. It is especially good for health due to the anti-inflammatory & antibacterial substances and omega-3, -6, vitamin E, fatty acids, antioxidants and other minerals in it. Mustard oil is extracted from mustard seeds; as a result, it has a lot of effects on human health as well. Mustard oil is truly effective in moisturizing, preventing infections and fungal diseases, especially alleviating hair loss . We can find mustard oil at cosmetic shops. The regular use of mustard oil will bring you an unexpected result. Therefore, using mustard oil is considered as one of the best home remedies for alopecia.
- Heat mustard oil; for the best results, you can combine mustard oil, olive oil, and almond oil and then heat it.
- Apply this mixture on the hair and massage lightly for 15-20 minutes and then wrap the hair for 2-3 hours.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
If you maintain this way for a while, your hair loss treatment will be successful. Apply this method to have a beautiful and smooth hair.
8. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Green Tea
It is no coincidence that green tea is considered as a “golden friend” for human health. Green tea has an antioxidant & antibacterial ability while helping to intensify the absorbability of vitamins and remove toxins from the body. In addition, it aids in promoting the re-organization of the blood and simultaneously enhancing the immune system of the body. Therefore, it is possible to effectively increase longevity, prevent cancer, and reduce stress. Especially, green tea contains a lot of caffeine that is capable of balancing testosterone, which helps to prevent hair loss and stimulate hair growth. Besides, green tea with the rich of catechin helps to control and prevent hair fall very well. In addition, compounds such as carotenoids, tocopherols, or minerals found in green tea stimulate hair growth . Whereby, using green tea as another of effective home remedies for alopecia is an ideal idea.
- Wash tea leaves, place them in a pot, and then add water and boil
- When seeing steam up, put some salt into the pot and decrease the fire, boil for 2-3 minutes and then turn off the stove
- Let the pot cool down, then filter to get the tea
- Use warm the green tea to shampoo as usual, during shampooing, gently massage so that dirt on the scalp and hair follicles is removed
- After 5-7 minutes, wash with warm water and then condition the hair to provide necessary moisture for the hair.
Salt with antibacterial properties also supports you to treat scalp itching and clean scalp quite effectively. Green tea boiled with a little salt has a good effect on blood circulation, helping women to relax. Let’s perform this solution 2-3 times per week for great results.
- Mix 50 grams of green tea powder with a liter of warm water to shampoo
- After shampooing, use warmed apple cider vinegar to apply on your hair
- Wrap the hair for 1 hour
- Rinse off with clean water
- Add 200 ml of water, 20 g of green tea leaves and 50 g of chrysanthemum into a pot
- Boil for 5 minutes, then filter the water
- Cool down, and then add 200 ml of white wine, leave it for 2-3 days
- Use this mixture to evenly apply on your hair, combine with gently massaging for 30 minutes
- Rinse off with clean water
Not only it is an effective treatment for alopecia, but it also helps you own a smooth and shiny hair.
9. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Rosemary Oil
Clearly, not everyone knows rosemary since this tree is not planted everywhere. However, rosemary oil that is extracted from rosemary is one of the common & effective home remedies for alopecia. Rosemary essential oil has many uses such as fever reduction, anti-inflammation, etc. and the most outstanding benefit is still to treat hair fall. When you are developing hair fall, growing your hair and keeping it long seem a quite difficult task. Rosemary oil may counter this issue by stimulating circulation in your scalp, which will promote hair growth . Besides, its anti-inflammatory properties and high nutritional value make it a great ingredient for nourishing your hair follicles and soothing your scalp. It also contains analgesic properties that help to soothe an inflamed scalp . The oil from this herb helps to unclog the hair follicles, which aids in removing some problems such as dandruff and hair fall. In addition, it keeps a dry scalp moisturized, and prevents dandruff and flaking. Also, it repairs a damaged hair while removing grime and dirt that can keep your hair weighed down. Here are two home remedies for alopecia with rosemary oil that you should not skip.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with 5 drops of rosemary oil
- Heat the mixture, then apply on the scalp, wrap the hair with a towel
- After 20-30 minutes, wash the hair off with cold water
- Perform this solution 1-2 times per week to get a healthy hair
- Apply some drops of rosemary oil on the scalp
- Gently massage to stimulate blood circulation
- Do the remedy regularly in the evening and wash off in the tomorrow morning
Using rosemary oil to massage the scalp both helps you take care of your hair, prevent hair loss and help you relieve stresses and tiredness. Thus, rosemary oil is a perfect choice if you are finding some of the effective home remedies for alopecia.
10. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Licorice Root
Being one of the 50 basic herbs, licorice is extensively used in traditional medicine (both Oriental and Western medicine). In addition to the antifebrile, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, ulcerative properties, licorice root is also used as one of the home remedies for alopecia thanks to the ability to expand the pores, soothe the scalp, reduce dandruff, and stop hair loss quite effectively. This traditional method gives you great results meanwhile its use is very simple. Therefore, you should try licorice to save your weak hair and have a stronger hair. There are two home remedies for alopecia with licorice root that you should not miss.
- Prepare licorice root powder (that you can buy in oriental drugstores) and fresh unsweetened milk
- Depending on the length, thinness or thickness of the hair, take just enough licorice root powder and fresh milk reasonably. For example, with shoulder-length hair, mix 1-2 tablespoons of licorice root powder with half a pack of unsweetened fresh milk (100 to 150 ml) to create a mixture that is neither too thick nor too liquid
- Directly apply onto the hair as a mask sleep and wait 45 to 60 minutes then shampoo again with warm water
However, do not overuse this method every day because it can make the scalp more sensitive. Only use this type of “sleeping mask” once or twice a week to get better effects.
- Buy dried licorice roots that have been processed, cleaned, then wash again with water
- Put them in a pot, add 2 cups of water, then boil them
- Drink as tea every day
Its sweetness & fragrant makes it easy to drink. In addition to alleviating hair loss, it also aids in purifying and cooling the body. Maintain drinking licorice regularly to gradually see changes in both the hair and body.
11. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Cinnamon Powder
Cinnamon powder is mostly known as a spice for foods; but more interestingly, it also has the great effect of stopping hair loss and taking care of the scalp. The cinnamon powder contains many types of eugenol oil and trans-cinnamic acid. As a result, it helps prevent the development of harmful organisms on the scalp. Most people’s scalp has harmful bacteria, fungi, and viruses that cause problems such as dandruff, hair loss, etc. To solve the problems, the first thing to do is to eliminate the bad effects of these harmful organisms. Now, remember to use cinnamon powder as one of the most useful home remedies for alopecia. In fact, the cinnamon powder has been very successful in removing and preventing the harmful factors on the scalp. At the same time, it also helps to protect the scalp. Not only does cinnamon powder help eliminate harmful organisms, but it also owns the ability to increase circulation to the scalp to nourish the hair roots. As a result, your hair not only becomes thicker but also looks smooth and shiny. You will have the hair of which you always dream by using cinnamon powder regularly. Here are three home remedies for alopecia with cinnamon powder that you should not ignore.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder with 1 egg yolk and 2 teaspoons of honey to make a dense mixture
- Apply this mixture on the wet hair, and combine with gentle massage so that nutrients gradually permeate into the scalp
- Wash the hair off with warm water
- Perform the remedy for 1-2 times per week. After 2 weeks, you will see a positive change for your hair.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of coffee powder and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and some shampoo
- Use this mixture like a type of shampoo and wash your hair normally
- Put 2 teaspoons of coffee powder, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder and 1 liter of water in a sprayer
- Spray this mixture on your hair before shampooing
This method is very simple but it can bring you a healthier hair, reduce alopecia, and stimulate the hair growth in a short time. You will see the difference in just 2 weeks of application.
- Combine gel of 3 aloe vera leaves with 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Evenly apply this mixture on the wet hair and simultaneously massage your scalp
- Do this remedy for 2-3 times per week to get the best result.
12. Home Remedies For Alopecia – Chinese Hibiscus
Chinese hibiscus is a very beautiful, red flower. This may be everything people know about this flower. But surprisingly, the red flowers have many uses in taking care of both skin and hair. In fact, Chinese hibiscus is considered as the best herb to stimulate hair growth in India. Therefore, if you are searching a method to help your hair grow faster, you should take advantage of this flower right away . In particular, Chinese hibiscus helps to stop hair loss, prevent hair from turning white, promote hair follicle growth, balance pH level of the scalp, and reduce itching and oil that make the scalp stuck. Let’s follow the home remedies for alopecia with Chinese hibiscus below to own an attractive hair.
- Prepare 10 Chinese hibiscus leaves, 3 Chinese hibiscus flowers and 125 ml of coconut oil
- Crush the leaves and flowers to get their liquid
- Mix the liquid and the coconut oil, then boil them for 2-3 minutes, let cool
- Apply this mixture on the total hair, and combine with gentle massage within 15 minutes, wait for more 15 minutes with a towel
- Rinse it off with water
- After 1 day, you can wash your hair with shampoo if seeing the hair sticky
- Perform this solution regularly for 2 times per week to stop hair loss
If you maintain doing it, after 3 months, you can see the transparent difference; the hair becomes shiny, healthy and has no hair loss.
- Prepare 40 Chinese hibiscus flowers and 500 ml of coconut oil
- Heat a pan, pour coconut oil into the pan, wait for coconut oil heat, add the flowers until the Chinese hibiscus flowers shrink and stick up, then turn off the stove
- Filter to get the liquid put in a bottle to store in a refrigerator
- Apply this oil on the hair, focus on the hair roots for about 30 minutes
- Wash with water
- Perform this remedy every 2 days, after 1 month of use, you may be surprised by the great result it brings you.
These above ancient, proven natural home remedies for alopecia areata are very simple and easy to follow. So now, with these methods in your hands, you do not need to worry about your hair loss, but of course, the effectiveness still depends on how frequently you do or whether they are suitable for your hair type. Thus, you should choose some recipes that work best for your hair type and apply them regularly for better results. Using natural Home Remedies may be much better for the hair than using chemical shampoos. I hope that you will have the hair as you expected.