In This Article
When it comes to bacterial vaginosis, do you know exactly what it is? How many women are facing to it daily? Do you think that it is a problem that is very easy to deal with? And does it cause any trouble for you? Be patient and spend your time with us on finding out the answers for these questions! The article on Effective Remedies will show you 20 most effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that use 100% safe & natural ingredients. Some of these methods may be even more effective than others. Although these treatments probably won’t bring as effectively as prescription medications, they are safe and don't cause any side effects that prescription medications often cause.
- 6 must-know tips to prevent bacterial vaginosis naturally & effectively
- 17 must-know tips to treat bacterial infection on skin naturally & fast at home
- 27 most effective home remedies for genital herpes – 100% natural & safe ingredients
- 47 most effective home remedies for bacterial infections on skin, in ear, mouth, stomach, vagina, & blood
20 Effective Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis Using Safe & Natural Ingredients
I. What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis is considered as a vaginal infection that results from an overgrowth of harmful bacteria. In the vagina, there is an environment that contains both “good” and “bad” bacteria. And the bacterial vaginosis has an excess amount of bad bacteria, which throws out the balance of the vaginal environment. In fact, this is a common infection that many women may experience, regardless of whether they have had sex or not.
II. Common Symptoms Of Bacterial Vaginosis?
- The changes in the amount, odor, and color of the vagina discharge
- Pain while urinating and sexual intercourse
- Irritation and itchy
- Spot or bleed slightly from the vagina
III. Most Effective Natural Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis
1. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Boric Acid
Boric acid is loaded with antiseptic and antifungal properties that are extremely beneficial in easing discomforts such as itchiness, pain, and irritation. In addition, it may even aid you in keeping the level of pH balanced and cleansing your vagina . This natural treatment is one of the best optimal home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that you should not miss.
- Firstly, take a gel capsule and add boric acid to it.
- Then, put the capsule inside the vagina before you go to sleep.
- After waking up, you cleanse the vagina with warm water.
- You should repeat this way 1 to 2 times each week.
Note: Remember that pregnant women must avoid using this method.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
2. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Use Chamomile Tea Bag
Chamomile contains relaxing and soothing effects in nature, so it effectively relieves swelling, pain, and burning & itching sensations. Moreover, this herb may alleviate the symptoms efficiently and aid you significantly in the treatment of bacterial infection in the vagina .
- At first, take a chamomile tea bag and add it into a glass filled with hot water.
- Next, simmer it for about 1 minute and then take the tea bag out the glass.
- Now, keep it in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- After that, put this tea bag inside your vagina.
- Remember to squirt the tea bag to allow the water to reach the inflamed vaginal canals.
- You should perform this method for 1 or 2 times a day until the symptoms of this infection are gone away.
See more: Warning signs of cervical cancer
3. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Turmeric
Turmeric is well-known for its antibiotic and anti-inflammatory effects that can help you to reduce the swelling significantly and manage the symptoms of the infections . Hence, this herb is considered one of the other natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that you should try.
- Firstly, take 1 to 2 tbsp. of turmeric powder.
- Then, add it into a glass of warm milk.
- Now, mix them well and consume it.
- Remember to drink this solution twice a day.
- Also, you may add turmeric to your daily cooking.
4. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Tea Tree Oil
In fact, tea tree oil consists of powerful antibacterial & antifungal effects that may help to treat bacterial vaginosis effectively. According to a small study in the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy in 1999, participants reported successful treatment of this infection only by using tea tree oil .
- Firstly, mix 5-10 drops of the tea tree essential oil with 1 ounce of carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) Then, use this solution to rinse your vagina. Remember not to use this oil without mixing with the carrier oil first because it may burn the tender skin area.
- Another option, add several drops of the tea tree essential oil to a bowl filled with warm water and then stir it well. Now, rinse your vagina with the solution. Do this treatment for once daily for 3 to 4 weeks.
- Or, pour 3 drops of the tea tree essential oil and 3 cups of white vinegar into your bathtub filled with lukewarm water and soak in it for 30 minutes. You should follow this method every other day for 1 to 2 months.
Note: Many people have an allergic reaction to tea tree oil. Therefore, remember to do a small test with a small amount of diluted tea tree oil on the skin before using it on your vagina. If there isn't any reaction occurring within 1 to 2 days, it seems to be safe for you to use.
5. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Hydrogen Peroxide
It can be said that hydrogen peroxide is another of natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that has long been used. It is a disinfecting agent, so it can aid in removing the bad bacteria in the body. Also, H2O2 completely removes inflammatory agents in the body & other factors that result in bacterial vaginosis. Most women insert a clean tampon soaked with a little 3% hydrogen peroxide to treat bacterial vaginosis. This solution may help you to disinfect and manage the growth of bad bacteria. In addition, it may even aid in easing itchiness, pain, & inflammation.
According to a study in 2003, using about an ounce of hydrogen peroxide daily for 1 week is able to help treat to bacterial vaginosis as effectively as to traditional medications .
- At first, make a solution by mixing hydrogen peroxide and water in equal amounts.
- Then, cleanse your vagina with this solution.
- After 10 minutes, remember to cleanse your vagina again with cold water.
- Repeat this method 1 to 2 times a day for several days.
Note: Use only 3-percent hydrogen peroxide in this treatment.
6. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Garlic
Garlic is packed with strong antibacterial effects, and it has long been used as one of best natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. According to one study in the Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal in 2014, taking a garlic supplement could be a great option for healing bacterial vaginosis .
However, remember that you should only eat garlic or take garlic supplements. Never insert garlic into your vagina because it burns the tender skin.
- Firstly, crush 3 to 4 garlic cloves. Then, smear the mashed garlic cloves on the affected area and keep it in for about 20 minutes. Finally, rinse this area with warm water. Repeat this remedy 1 time a day for several months.
- Or, wrap 1 garlic clove in gauze. Then, put it in your vagina and keep it in for 15 to 20 minutes. Use this treatment 1 time a day for several days.
- Another option, eat raw or cooked garlic daily. If you don’t like the taste of garlic, opt for taking garlic capsules after consulting your doctor.
7. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Yogurt
Yogurt is another of natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that you should try. It is known as a natural probiotic. Therefore, it contains plenty of healthy bacteria. The Mayo Clinic found that eating yogurt might help to take healthy bacteria back into your body. This aids in establishing a balanced environment in the vagina and fighting off the bad bacteria . For the optimal benefits, eat at least 1 serving of yogurt a day.
- Firstly, dip a clean cotton pad in a cup of yogurt and then apply it to your affected area. Next, keep it for 30 minutes and then wash this area thoroughly with water. Repeat this way 3 times per day until the symptoms are gone away.
- Or, you can dip a tampon in a little yogurt and then put it in your vagina for 1 to 2 hours. Follow this way twice daily until you can get rid of the symptoms completely.
- Also, eat 2 cups of plain yogurt every day to help restore the normal pH balance of the vagina and reduce the growth of harmful bacteria.
8. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Probiotics
Although yogurt has some probiotics, there are a lot of probiotic supplements available in the market. According to a study in 2014, there is clear evidence that taking a probiotic supplement daily may help to treat and prevent the bacterial vaginosis issue . Probiotics may come in liquid or pill form. If you have been on an antibiotic, it may kill off both good and bad bacteria. So, you should replace good bacteria by taking probiotics supplements and eating yogurt.
In fact, natural probiotics, such as yogurt, fermented foods, and some cottage cheeses, may support the bacterial colony, which keeps your vagina healthy.
Besides, a probiotic supplement may help. Women having pain caused due to bacterial vaginosis may try a cooling probiotic tampon.
To follow this, women may use a tampon applicator soaked with freezing unflavored plain yogurt to insert into the vagina. And the cooling sensation temporarily reduces pain, and the probiotic can combat the underlying infection.
9. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Take An ACV Bath
Apple cider vinegar is an acidic compound. And as you know, one of the causes of bacterial vaginosis is a sudden change in the pH level of the vagina. The acidity of this vinegar can help to regulate your pH level and restore balance in the body. When your pH level is in check, you can regulate the growth of bad & good bacteria. In addition, apple cider vinegar has antibacterial effects that aid in killing off bad bacteria in your body.
- Firstly, add 1 to 2 cups of the apple cider vinegar to a bathtub filled with water. Then, sit in the water for 20 minutes. After that, gently pat the vaginal area dry. Repeat this way once daily until your condition is improved.
- Or, take 2 tbsp. of this vinegar and add it to warm water. Then, cleanse the vagina with this solution twice a day for several days.
- Another option, take 1-2 tbsp. of this vinegar and honey and then add them to 1 cup of warm water. Mix them well and consume it twice a day.
10. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Cold Compress
A cold compress is extremely beneficial in relieving discomforts, pain, itching sensation, and inflammatory by numbing the affected area. This natural treatment for bacterial infection is recommended when you need to reduce the symptoms immediately.
- Firstly, use a clean cloth to wrap a few ice cubes.
- Then, apply it to your vagina for 1 minute.
- After having a break for another minute, reapply.
- Perform this for several times and remember to apply the method anytime as needed.
- Another option, cleanse your vagina with cold water for several times per day.
11. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Fenugreek
Fenugreek is extremely effective in treating bacterial vaginosis. It helps to improve the level of pH in your vagina and boost up the immune system in order to speed the healing process.
In addition, it is also beneficial in helping you to maintain a balanced hormone level and stabilizing the menstrual period, which is essential for the natural treatment of bacterial infection.
- Firstly, soak 2 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds in 1 glass of water overnight. After that, drink this water when your stomach is empty. Do this method daily for at least 1 month until you see an improvement in your condition.
- Or, mix 1 tsp. of fenugreek powder in 1 cup of yogurt. Consume it twice daily for a few days until your symptoms are gone away.
- Another option, steep 1 tsp. of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 minutes. Then, strain it and add a little honey to it. Finally, drink this tea 2 or 3 times daily.
12. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Use Milk
Milk is loaded with lactobacilli bacteria, which makes it as one of the excellent home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. In addition, milk helps to strengthen your immune system to fight off the bad bacteria.
- Firstly, dip a tampon in the chilled milk and then insert it into the vagina. Next, keep the tampon in there for 1 to 2 hours and then take it out. Do this method once daily for a few days to ease the symptoms.
- Another option, add 1 tsp. of turmeric powder to 1 glass of warm milk. Then, drink this mixture once a day until your condition is improved.
13. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Coconut Oil
Coconut oil consists of natural antiviral, antifungal, & antibacterial properties that may help to kill the germs causing bacterial vaginosis while preventing it from recurring.
- You can apply organic coconut oil to the affected area 3 times daily until you see an improvement in your condition.
- Or, soak a tampon in a little of the organic coconut oil and then insert it into your vagina. Next, leave it in for several hours. After that, remove the tampon and rinse the area with warm water thoroughly. Do this way once daily for a few days.
- Alternatively, add coconut oil to your daily diet as much as possible in order to boost your immunity and speed the healing process.
14. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Indian Lilac
Also called neem or margosa, Indian lilac contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that can help to reduce itching & inflammation and to kill the germs causing this infection.
- Firstly, take a handful of the margosa leaves and heat them in a pan. You needn’t add water or other liquids to it.
- Then, allow these leaves to cool and grind them into a powder.
- Now, mix 2 tsp. of the powder with water to form a paste.
- After that, apply this paste in & around the vagina and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Finally, rinse it with warm water.
- Do this method twice daily until the symptoms are gone away.
15. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is packed with antibacterial and antifungal effects and may be used to combat the germs causing bacterial vaginosis. In addition, it can effectively prevent the recurrence of this infection. To treat bacterial vaginosis, you should use oregano oil that doesn’t contain alcohol.
- Firstly, mix 3 drops of oregano oil and 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Then, apply it to your affected area and keep it for 2 hours. Do this treatment once daily until you see an improvement.
- Or, add 3 drops of oregano oil into a glass filled with lukewarm water. Mix them well and drink it twice daily. Repeat this treatment for 1 to 2 months.
16. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Wear Cotton Underwear
Some certain sorts of underwear, including spandex, seem not to be as breathable as cotton type. Wearing underwear of these materials may trap the moisture, which may cause a breeding environment for bacteria and may make a bacterial vaginal infection worse.
To treat your bacterial vaginosis quickly and prevent the reoccurrence of this infection, wear breathable cotton underwear. In addition, you should avoid wearing tight pants.
17. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Have Safe Sex
Bacterial vaginosis may spread between sexual partners. Therefore, a woman who has bacterial vaginosis should abstain from sexual intercourse, or practice safer sex by using a condom, until the bacterial infection is gone away.
Sexual practices affect the natural balance of the bacteria in your vagina, which may trigger an outbreak of bacterial vaginosis. Strategies that reduce the risk include:
- Use condoms during sex. When semen mixes with your vaginal fluids, it may worsen the smell of your existing bacterial vaginosis.
- Avoid transition from the anal to vaginal intercourse because this may transfer fecal material to your vagina, causing bacterial vaginosis. Change a new condom before going from the anal to vaginal sex, and never put anything in your vagina that has been present in the anus without rinsing with soap & warm water.
- Urinate immediately after sexual intercourse. After urinating, remember to rinse your vagina and vulva with water. In some women, their sexual fluids & lubricants change the normal pH balance of their vagina, which makes them more vulnerable to getting bacterial vaginosis.
18. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Don’t Douche
Douching is considered as one of the major factors for vaginal infections because it disrupts the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina. Douching actually won’t help to get rid of a bacterial infection. Instead, it may worsen the infection by removing good bacteria present in the vagina to protect you .
19. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Upgrade Your Tampons
During menstrual cycles, you should try using organic cotton tampons and make sure to change them frequently. In addition, it is recommended using unscented pads or tampons that don’t contain harsh chemicals, perfumes, or dyes.
Besides, you can avoid the overgrowth of bacteria by changing tampons for at least 3 times a day (at least every 6 to 8 hours). Also, you can use pads/panty liners to limit the time you utilize the same tampon).
20. Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis – Have Good Hygiene
The vaginal & anal areas are very close together. By having good hygiene, you may help to treat and prevent the bacterial vaginosis issue. For this, there are some rules:
- Remember that you should have an act of wiping from front to back when using the bathroom. In other words, you need to wipe away from your vagina towards your rectum to avoid the contamination from the stool.
- Change your tampon or pad several times a day during your cycle. Always rinse your sex toys with high-quality soap & hot water.
With these effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that use safe and natural ingredients, you may easily manage the symptoms of this condition and prevent it from recurring. Nevertheless, if you don’t notice any improvement within 2 weeks, you should consult a doctor. For more home remedies for other health issues, please visit our Home Remedies page. Moreover, if you want to share your thoughts or know other home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, leave your comments below!