People often say that nose- and throat-related diseases are prolonged and repeated. If you suffer from this disease, you will see that this is right. Post-nasal drip is a long-lasting condition, accompanied with persistent, uncomfortable, heavy headaches and the discharge from your sinuses to the throat or nose . Then, when knowing somewhere having good doctors, you will visit immediately. You even take many types of medicine, including Eastern & Western medicine. Taking more anti-inflammatory and antibiotic medications causes patients to develop some symptoms such as upset stomach and epigastric pain. Although you may spend much money on buying expensive drugs and visit doctors, your condition is still not improved. Today, Effective Remedies will introduce to you top 20 effective and natural home remedies for post-nasal drip that can give you extremely excellent results.
- Natural home remedies for nasal congestion in adults & babies
- Natural home remedies for sinus infection symptoms relief
Top 20 Effective & Natural Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip
1. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Steam Inhalation
One of the first natural home remedies for post-nasal drip is steam inhalation. Using steam treatment helps to regulate the production of mucus. If you want to get great relief from this, add essential oils to steam.
- Firstly, take a bowl filled with hot, boiling water.
- Next, drape a towel over the head and then hold the face over the bowl.
- Now, inhale the steam deeply for about 10 minutes and then blow your nose.
- Repeat this method 2 or 3 times a day until you completely recover.
You may even take a warm shower to help to break up the mucus. However, very small children should avoid using this steam treatment.
Read more: DIY homemade natural decongestant recipes
2. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Barberry
Loaded with many medicinal effects, barberry is another of the natural home remedies for post-nasal drip that you need to try. It is very rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C, alkaloid, or berberine. Hence, it is considered as a powerful antimicrobial to help get rid of respiratory infections.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Firstly, add 4 grams of the dried barberry root to hot water.
- Then, mix them well and simmer the tea for a few minutes.
- Finally, consume this tea when it is still warm.
3. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Salt Water
As you may know, many problems related to nose or throat can be completely treated with only salt water. Of course, post-nasal drip isn’t an exception. Gargling with salt water on a daily basis helps you to get rid of post-nasal drip by thinning mucus and removing anything irritating in the nasal passages . However, remember to gargle with salt water even when your condition is treated. It will prevent you from developing many other health problems.
- At first, add 1/2 tsp. of salt to one cup filled with warm water.
- Then, stir it thoroughly till the salt dissolves completely.
- Finally, gargle with this solution several times a day for 2 or 3 days.
4. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Fenugreek
Fenugreek has been utilized as a vegetable in Eastern nations. It is one of the marvelous herbal home remedies for post-nasal drip. This herb has a high content of fiber. Having a bitter taste, fenugreek is an ideal astringent that helps you to get rid of the symptoms of post-nasal drip, including chest congestion.
This herb is very beneficial in reducing the mucus congestion – a main factor for the post-nasal drip. It may be added to a tea and you should take the tea 2 or 3 times a day for lasting relief. Also, you can add fenugreek to a bowl of hot soup and eat it for better results.
In addition, you can use its extracts or powder in daily cooking to increase the healing process.
5. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Lemon
Lemon effectively helps to loosen mucus and improve the resistance of the body to infections. In addition, its high content of vitamin C makes lemon eligible for treating postnasal drip.
- At first, squeeze the juice of half a lemon and add it to a cup filled with warm water. Next, add raw honey to it for better taste. Drink this solution as the first thing in the early morning. Repeat this method a few times a day to reduce the overproduction of mucus.
- Or, you can add lemon juice to a cup of green or black tea before drinking it.
6. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Nasal Irrigation
Saline nasal irrigation is also considered to be helpful for reducing upper respiratory conditions . Nasal irrigation is also beneficial in clearing up excess mucus and opening nasal blockages. In addition, it even aids in protecting the nasal passages from irritants and reducing the risk of further infection.
- At first, add 1/4 tsp. of salt and 1 pinch of baking soda into 1 cup filled with warm water.
- Now, pour this solution into a neti pot.
- Now, stand over a sink, tilt the head to one side & squirt this solution into one nostril.
- Then, move the head back, forward & side-to-side to aid the solution in reaching your nasal cavities.
- Now, blow the nose to eliminate excess mucus & solution.
- Repeat this process with the remaining nostril.
- Do this method once daily for several days and then several times per week.
7. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Anise Seeds
Another great expectorant from nature is anise seeds that are appreciated as one of other best home remedies for post-nasal drip. Thanks to this expectorant, you can get relief from any irritation caused due to post-nasal drip or irritations in the nasal passages.
- Firstly, prepare ground anise seeds, black pepper, ginger, and honey
- Then, mix them together with equal amounts
- Now, consume 1/2 spoon of this mixture daily before meals.
If you cannot find all of these ingredients, you can use the anise seed tea by boiling these seeds in water.
8. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Apple Cider Vinegar
As you know, apple cider vinegar contains an alkalizing effect, which makes it present in the list of natural home remedies for post-nasal drip. It can aid you in thinning out mucus, which eliminates it easily and enhances your immunity to fight against infections .
- Firstly, mix 1 to 2 tbsp. of raw & unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 1 tsp. of raw honey in 1 cup of warm water. Then, drink this tonic for 2 times per day for several days.
- Or, you can dilute raw apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water. Then, heat this solution till it steams. After that, inhale the steam. Follow this remedy a few times per day for several days.
9. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Garlic
Garlic is considered as one of the natural home remedies for post-nasal drip . It is beneficial in controlling the overproduction of mucus while it also helps you to prevent infection and many other problems. Thanks to the antibiotic qualities of garlic, this spice helps to improve the healing process.
- Firstly, chop 3-4 garlic cloves and then roast them in 1 tsp. of clarified butter for about 1 minute. Then, eat them along with warm milk twice a day for a few days.
- Or, you can chew raw garlic several times a day.
- Another option, you may consult your doctor to take garlic supplements.
10. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil consists of many anti-inflammatory & expectorant compounds that help to break up excess mucus and reduce nasal passageways. Therefore, it is among the common essential oils for getting rid of post-nasal drip.
- At first, take 2 cups of hot water
- Then, pour 5 drops of eucalyptus oil into the cup
- After that, put your head over this cup and steam with this solution for 5 minutes
You should do this method before going to bed at night. It improves the quality of your sleep as well.
11. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Drink More Water
Increasing the intake of fluid helps to thin the mucus and enhance a quick recovery. It also keeps nasal passages and your body well hydrated. Dehydration may make the symptoms and your condition worse.
- Drink plenty of water during the day. For better results, drink warm water.
- Or, you can drink hot lemonade, chicken soup, green tea, broths, and vegetable soup.
- Avoid alcohol, soda, and caffeine, which may cause dehydration.
Note: People with kidney problems, consult a doctor before increasing the fluid intake.
12. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Chicken Soup
Another familiar relief for people who suffer from a common cold or flu is chicken soup. Apart from boosting up the energy level, this soup is claimed to reduce the risk of inflammation and soreness in your throat.
Even when the post-nasal drip leads to some swallowing problems, eating chicken soup is an excellent choice. However, you should avoid chunky or creamy soup because they will make the situation worse by stimulating the release of mucus.
In other words, eating chicken soup is another of effective home remedies for post-nasal drip that you should not miss.
13. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Black Pepper
Black pepper is loaded with many antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which makes it one of the wonderful home remedies for post-nasal drip that you should be aware of. In addition to supporting the immune system, black pepper aids the body in healing respiratory infections.
If you are trying to remove mucus and treat post-nasal drip fast, you should add black pepper to your daily diet. The results may be as quick as other treatments for post-nasal drip.
14. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Ginger
The list of the natural home remedies for post-nasal drip should definitely include ginger because it works as an excellent decongestant. It contains antibacterial and antiviral properties, which help you to decrease the overproduction of mucus and support the expulsion. Also, this spice plays a crucial role in treating some signs of post-nasal drip, including a sore throat, chest congestion, and hoarseness .
- You can drink 2 or 3 cups of ginger tea a day. To make this tea, add 1 tbsp. of sliced ginger to 1-2 cups of clean water and then simmer it on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. After that, strain the tea and add raw honey to it. Finally, drink it.
- Or, you can chew some raw ginger slices a few times per day and include ginger to your daily cooking.
15. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Onion
Maybe many people are not a fan of onions due to its smell, but it is undoubtedly one of other best antibiotics that you can find in nature. Therefore, to deal with a cough or a sore throat from post-nasal drip, you can use onions. In addition, onion speeds up the healing time and removes irritants in the nasal passages.
- Firstly, chop an onion and then mix it with grated ginger
- Then, cook them on the low heat
- Now, pour 3 tbsp. of sugar into the mixture and stir them a few minutes
- After that, turn off the heat
- Next, cover the mixture for another 10 minutes
- Finally, consume this solution
- Repeat this way 2 to 3 times daily and you will get better results.
16. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Indian Gooseberry
Do you know that Indian gooseberry is also one of the best natural home remedies for post-nasal drip? It is extensively used to get rid of the symptoms of post-nasal drip, such as an inflamed throat or congestion.
- Firstly, take 1 tsp. of Indian gooseberry, honey, and black pepper
- Then, mix them well in a cup of warm water
- Finally, drink it once a day
- You have to follow this method continuously within one month.
17. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Increase The Intake Of Vitamin C
If you suffer from post-nasal drip, the important thing is that you need to eat more foods rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is proven a powerful antioxidant that can boost up the immune system and supports the resistance of the body to various types of infections.
In addition, it helps to reduce the production of histamine present in the body, which is involved in an allergic reaction.
- Simply, eat more foods rich in vitamin C, including lemons, oranges, kiwis, bell peppers, berries, broccoli, tomatoes, dark leafy greens, and papayas.
- Or, you can take vitamin C supplements after consulting a doctor for a proper dosage.
18. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is loaded with an antihistamine and capsaicin compound, which helps to thin out mucus and thus make it easier to expel . In addition, it has an ability to soothe the irritation in the throat. Hence, cayenne pepper is regarded one of the natural and incredible home remedies for post-nasal drip.
- Mix 1/2 tsp. each of honey and cayenne pepper and then consume it 2 to 3 times daily for several days.
- Or, add 1/2 to 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper to 1 cup filled with warm water and then sip it slowly. Follow this method a few times per day.
- Another option, add cayenne pepper to your cooking.
19. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Goldenseal
In fact, many herbs may work as effectively as some medicinal treatments for the post-nasal drip issue and goldenseal is such an herb. It protects the body from bacteria while its anti-inflammatory properties reduce the risk of inflammation that is caused due to post-nasal drip.
- Firstly, put goldenseal root into a pot of water and then boil them for several minutes
- Next, strain the solution
- Finally, consume the tea when it is still warm
Note: Pregnant women and people who suffer from high blood pressure should avoid this herb.
20. Home Remedies For Post-Nasal Drip – Ginger & Thyme Tea
One of the most instantly effective home remedies for post-nasal drip is to drink ginger & thyme tea. Ginger offers an anti-inflammatory property while thyme is a power antibacterial. This is very helpful in getting rid of post-nasal drip at home. Try this method immediately to get relief from this condition.
- Add 1/2 tsp. of ground ginger and 1/2 tsp. of thyme to 1 cup filled with boiling water.
- Then, cover and steep the tea for 10 minutes.
- After that, strain the tea and drink it.
- Drink 2 cups of this tea a day regularly to eliminate post-nasal drip.
- Blow the nose frequently to eliminate excess mucus in the nasal cavity
- Wash your hands thoroughly after blowing the nose.
- Relax for a few days in order to help the body recover quickly.
- Avoid possible allergens that can aggravate your condition.
- Maintain adequate humidity in your house.
- Steer clear of smog & other pollutants.
- Suck on some menthol candies and lozenges to soothe your irritated throat.
- Avoid smoking or quit smoking.
- Avoid some dairy products, such as milk and ice cream because they may trigger post-nasal drip.
- Vacuum and dust your house a couple times per week to keep it clean.
In fact, there are a lot of home remedies for post-nasal drip and these remedies are among the most common. In case, you know other Home Remedies, feel free to share it with us!