Do you want to understand more about nasal congestion? Discover more about it before finding home remedies for nasal congestion presented in this article.
Nasal congestion or ‘stuffy nose’ or ‘blocked nose’ occurs when there is swelling in your nasal cavity which leads to the buildup of mucus. And the result is that you will have trouble in breathing normally. In addition, nasal congestion is the symptom which is often related to flu, allergic reaction, as well as cold. Moreover, nasal congestion will make you extremely discomfortable; therefore, it is very important to treat this condition immediately. If you do not cure it, it will cause other problems like restless, ear infection, and so on.
There are a lot of simple ways in order to clear nasal congestion. You can use medical treatments or apply some remedies made of the ingredients which you can easily find in your kitchen. If you wonder to know about these home remedies, please continue reading this article on our page Effective Remedies which will present to you the best home remedies for nasal congestion you can follow to get rid of it soon.
Top 16 Natural Home Remedies For Nasal Congestion In Babies And Adults
These are 16 natural home remedies for nasal congestion which you can do to get rid of it quickly:
1. Garlic, Turmeric Powder And Water
The first and the best remedy for this condition is garlic. It contains antifungal and antiviral properties which can help to beat the respiratory infection causing your nasal congestion. Here is the way which you can follow to treat nasal congestion:
- Firstly, take two or three garlic cloves
- Next boil them with a cup of water
- Then pour a half teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Finally, drink this mixture several times per day
- Repeat every day in order to clear your congestion.
In addition, you can eat fresh garlic cloves or add garlic to your diet every day to relieve discomfort as well as stuffiness.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey
Another way to cure nasal congestion is using apple cider vinegar. It can help you to thin the mucus. In addition, it is good for your immunity as well as your overall health. This is the detailed instruction for you to consult:
- Firstly, prepare a tablespoon of honey as well as 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Then pour them into a cup of warm water
- After that, mix them well
- Finally, drink this solution twice or thrice times per day
- Repeat daily for a few days or until you feel better
3. Steam Inhalation
Inhalation therapy is also a popular remedy you can apply at home if you want to get a quick relief from nasal congestion. It can work as the natural expectorant in order to treat nasal congestion. Also, it helps to lubricate your irritated respiratory tract. Now it’s time to say goodbye to nasal congestion by using this remedy.
- Firstly, take a large bowl of boiling water
- Then add some drops of peppermint oil to this
- Next keep your head about 50 cm from the bowl
- Finally, inhale the steam.
- Do this method from two to four times per day
- Continue doing every day until your nasal congestion is gone away
You can add a tablespoon of carom seeds which are crushed if you don’t have peppermint oil.
However, you also pay attention that this remedy is not recommended for young children because it may burn them. Moreover, pregnant women, as well as people who suffer from the heart condition, central nervous system disorder, or high blood pressure, should not use this remedy.
4. Nasal Irrigation
The nasal irrigation with the saline solution also is used as one of the effective home remedies for nasal congestion. It can wash the mucus away from your nasal passages. Here is the detailed direction for you:
- First add a teaspoon of salt into 2 cups of warm water. You ought to use distilled water
- Then mix well together
- After that, pour this solution into the neti pot
- Finally, use this solution for nasal irrigation
- Follow this remedy once or twice per day
- Repeat every day in a few days until your condition is improved
Remember to wash the irrigation device after you use it.
5. Eucalyptus Oil
If you are suffering from nasal congestion, why don’t you apply eucalyptus oil?
It can bring a lot of benefits for these people because of its anti-inflammatory properties and decongestant. Now let’s follow this detailed instruction below in order to clear congestion.
- First take one or two drops of this oil
- Then put it into a fresh handkerchief
- Finally, inhale the aroma
- Follow this remedy various times per day
- Repeat every day until your condition is improved
Besides, you can apply eucalyptus oil as this way. You are able to use this oil on your pillow. Therefore, you are capable of getting the advantages of this oil even when you are sleeping deeply.
6. Warm Cloth
When you get the stuffy nose, it is very important to aid the steady flow of mucus through the nasal passages. So applying warm cloth is also a good idea for this case. Let’s do it according to the detailed instruction below:
- Now take a clean washcloth
- Then dip it into warm water
- Next remove the excessive water
- After that, put the cloth over your face
- Finally, leave it on from 10 to 15 minutes
- Do this method several times a day
- Keep doing daily until your condition is improved
7. Black Pepper
Black pepper is highly beneficial for curing nasal congestion as well as blocked sinuses. It can help to induce sneezing. Therefore, you can get rid of the mucus along with allergies in your sinuses. Here is the detailed instruction which you ought to consult:
- Firstly, take some black pepper in your palm
- Secondly, take 3 drops of sesame oil and add to black pepper
- After that, dip your finger into this solution
- Then apply it under your stuffy nose
- Finally, breathe in the very strong aroma
- Do this process as needed
8. Spicy Tomato Tea
When you get nasal congestion, why not use spicy tomato tea? This is one of the wonderful home remedies for nasal congestion because it can help to improve the flow of your mucus through your nasal passages. Here is the detailed direction which you ought to follow:
- Now take these ingredients: a tablespoon of chopped garlic, a tablespoon of lemon juice, a pinch of sea salt, some hot sauce as well as a cup of tomato juice
- Next boil them together
- Finally, slowly drink this tea when it is still hot
- Do this remedy twice a day
- Repeat every day until you get the relief from stuffy nose
9. Fenugreek Seeds
If you are suffering from nasal congestion, fenugreek seeds are also one of the best home remedies for nasal congestion. It contains anti-inflammatory properties. That’s why it can help to cleanse your mucus membranes. In addition, the moisture, as well as the heat, from fenugreek seeds will help to thin your mucus. Now what you need to do is to follow these steps below:
- First mix from one to two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds which are crushed into a glass of water
- Then boil it
- Next strain this solution
- Finally, drink this when it is still warm
- Do this procedure up to three times a day
- Keep doing every day until you get the relief from this problem
Moreover, you ought to remember that this remedy is not advised for those who are during pregnancy because it is able to stimulate uterine contractions.
10. Lemon Juice, Black Pepper And Salt
As you know black pepper is a good remedy which is used to treat nasal congestion, why don’t you combine it with other ingredients? If you wonder to know how to combine it, please consult this detailed instruction below:
- Firstly, prepare well: two tablespoons of lemon juice, a quarter teaspoon of black pepper along with a little salt
- After that, mix all ingredients well together
- Finally, consume this solution
- Do this remedy once or twice per day
- Continue doing every day until you get the effective relief from nasal congestion
11. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is also an effective remedy you can apply at home. And this remedy is very easy to do. Let’s follow these steps below:
- Now take 2 or 3 drops of mustard oil
- Then put them in your nostrils
- Do this process as needed and it will give you a relief from your blocked nose
12. Black Pepper And Honey
Why don’t you use black pepper and honey to treat nasal congestion? Now it’s time you performed this remedy as this detailed recipe:
- Firstly, place a tablespoon of honey as well as a tablespoon of black pepper into a cup
- Next pour boiling water into the cup
- After that, leave it on for 15 minutes
- Then stir it well
- Finally, drink this solution as needed in order to get a relief from stuffy nose quickly
Just like garlic, onion can be used to cure nasal congestion too. It can clear your nose as well as give you a quick relief from nasal congestion. Here is the way you ought to follow:
- First take an onion
- Then peel it off
- Next cut it
- Finally, smell it for about 5 minutes
- Do this treatment as needed
14. Ginger Tea
Ginger is also a good idea for those who suffer from nasal congestion. Let’s make ginger tea as the following direction in order to get rid of nasal congestion
- First take a teaspoon of ginger root bits
- Then put it in a cup of boiling water
- After that, let it steep for about 10 minutes
- Next add a little honey to this if you want
- Finally, drink this tea several times per day daily in order to get a relief from stuffy nose
15. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is beneficial for people who have nasal congestion. Therefore, making this tea is a good method if you want to treat this disease. Let’s consult this specific recipe:
- First prepare a teaspoon of dried chamomile flower
- Next put them into a cup
- After that, pour boiling water into this cup
- Then allow it to steep for about 10 minutes
- Now add a little lemon juice or honey if you want
- Finally, enjoy this tea
- Do this treatment various times per day daily until your condition is better
16. Peppermint Tea
In order to cure nasal congestion, peppermint tea is very good for this case. Here is the detailed instruction which you had better consult:
- First take a quarter cup of fresh peppermint leaves
- Next pour boiling water
- Then allow it to steep
- After that, strain the liquid
- Finally, drink this tea several times a day daily until you feel better
Besides, you need to follow these tips below in order to get rid of nasal congestion, too.
- Use the humidifier
- Take the hot bath or hot shower. However, you should be aware of the heat of water in order to not burn yourself
- Stay hydrated by drinking more water per day. You can also drink fruit juice, tea or sport drinks
- Use the saline spray. But you ought to ask your doctor before using it
- Have medical checkup
- Consume more foods which contain a lot of vitamin C as well as omega 3 fatty acids
- Rinse off your bed linens more often
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 16 natural and effective home remedies for nasal congestion, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your stuffy nose easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any home remedies for nasal congestion. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for nasal congestion, please leave them below.