Anyone who has sparkling white teeth looks more attractive, healthier, and younger. There are many people who usually avoid smiling in public places because of their teeth color. Some factors causing yellow teeth may include poor dental hygiene, aging, hereditary factors, or excessive consumption of tobacco, cigarette, coffee, and tea. Furthermore, improper metabolism, climatic conditions, infection, and the high dose of antibiotics also contribute to the discoloration of your teeth. Generally, people look for professional treatments to remove the yellow tinge from their teeth. However, these treatments may be expensive and take a lot of time. So now if you want to whiten your teeth, let’s use some natural remedies that can be done at home. In addition, these home remedies don’t cost too much money, and some of them can be easily found in your kitchen. If you need to find out what they are to whiten your teeth and give you a perfect smile, you ought to continue reading this article of top 18 best natural home remedies to whiten teeth fast.
- 31 Most effective home remedies for an abscessed tooth pain in children & adults
- 29 Natural home remedies for toothache pain relief
- Top 9 natural home remedies for dry socket relief from pain & other symptoms
Top 18 Natural Home Remedies To Whiten Teeth Fast At Home
1. Baking Soda
The best ingredients helping you to whiten your teeth is baking soda, as it may remove the plaque and give your teeth pearly white shine. Moreover, baking soda creates a naturally alkaline environment in the mouth, which is beneficial in preventing bacteria from growing. One study shows that types of toothpaste containing baking soda are more effective at getting rid of yellow stains from your teeth than standard types without baking soda .
- Firstly, take a quarter teaspoon of baking soda
- Then mix them with your toothpaste
- Next, brush your teeth with this mixture
- Finally, wash off with warm water
- Do this remedy once or twice per week
- Continue doing every week
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Now take a little baking soda
- Then dilute it with water
- Finally, gently scrub your teeth with this solution
- Follow these steps twice in the first week and keep doing every 15 days
2. Orange Peel
In the list of top home remedies to whiten teeth, orange peel is one of the most wonderful suggestions. If you use it regularly, it will help to reduce the yellow tinge accumulated on your teeth. The calcium and vitamin C in orange peel help to fight the microorganisms causing yellow teeth. Orange contains an enzyme called bromelain that removes stains on the tooth surface and reduces plaque buildup. Also, orange peel has limonene, which is effective in eliminating teeth stains, especially stains due to smoking. A study states that toothpaste with d-limonene is significantly effective in relieving smoking stains on the teeth and d-limonene only may inhibit the formation of further stains due to smoking
- Now take an orange peel
- Then rub it on your teeth every night before bedtime.
- Do this in a few weeks to get the effective result
Also, you can use the powder of dried orange peel if you do not have fresh orange peel.
Strawberries have a lot of vitamin C, which may help you remove, prevent the formation of plaque on the tooth and whiten teeth naturally. According to a recent study, a mixture of strawberry and baking soda has a minimal effect on your tooth enamel. Another study published in 2013 shows that strawberry juice has a positive effect on whitening the teeth stains due to coffee. You should eat a strawberry after drinking coffee, alcohol, or smoking, as it contains natural teeth whitening quality.
Method 1: Strawberries
- Firstly, take some strawberries
- Next grind them to make a paste
- Finally, gently rub it on your teeth
- Do this remedy twice per day
- Repeat every day for a few days
Method 2: Strawberries and baking soda
Baking soda and strawberries are good home remedies to whiten teeth thanks to vitamin C found in strawberries.
- Firstly, take a half teaspoon of baking soda and the pulp of a strawberry
- Then mash strawberry
- Next, mix it with baking soda well together
- After that, spread this mixture on your teeth
- Finally, wash it off and brush your teeth with your toothpaste after leaving it on for a few minutes
- Do this once or twice per week
- Repeat every week
4. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide consists of the mild bleaching effect, which may help to whiten your teeth. It is also a bleaching agent in nature that kills bacteria in the mouth. In fact, hydrogen peroxide has been used for years to disinfect cuts or wounds due to its ability to remove bacteria. Many whitening products in the market contain hydrogen peroxide at a much higher content than you will use. A study found that a type of toothpaste containing 1% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda helped to significantly whiten the teeth. According to another study, brushing with a commercial type of toothpaste containing hydrogen peroxide and baking soda twice per day results in 62% whiter teeth within six weeks
Method 1: Hydrogen peroxide
- Now brush your teeth as usual
- Then take your mouthwash with hydrogen peroxide
- Finally, gargle with this mouthwash and rinse off again
But remember not to swallow this. And you should use hydrogen peroxide carefully because it may cause irritation of your gums along with making your teeth sensitive.
Method 2: Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
- Firstly, take a tablespoon of baking soda as well as 1½ teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide
- Then mix them with a cup of water
- Finally, use this solution as your mouthwash
- Do this two or three times per day daily until you get the positive result
5. Lemon Juice And Salt
To whiten your teeth and remove the yellow tinge on your teeth, you can use lemon juice and salt. Lemon extract and peel have citric acid that helps to bleach the stains on the enamel. Also, it contains antibacterial properties. In fact, there are several ways to use lemon for whitening your teeth. You can gargle with lemon juice every day or use the lemon peel to scrub your teeth daily. And the combination of lemon juice and salt is also one of the best home remedies to whiten teeth.
- Firstly, mix some drops of lemon juice with some salt together
- After that, apply the mixture on your teeth
- Next, vigorously rub the mixture on your gums and teeth
- Now let it sit for a few minutes
- Finally, wash your mouth with water thoroughly
- Follow this treatment twice a day
- Repeat every day for 2 weeks
Salt is not only a cooking ingredient but also a treatment for whitening teeth because it is made from sodium chloride. You can use it for any age. It helps to replenish the lost mineral content in your teeth and revive the original colour of your teeth. There are three ways to apply salt for tooth whitening as below. You can choose to perform one of them.
- You can use salt every morning as the tooth powder instead of using toothpaste
- You also mix a little salt with some charcoal and use it to brush your teeth regularly
- Another choice for you is to mix salt with baking soda. And then you can rub the mixture on your teeth
Whatever you choose to apply to whiten your teeth, you ought to be extra careful to use salt because it may damage your gums and your tooth enamel if you use it roughly
7. Holy Basil Leaves
Thanks to its whitening properties, holy basil may protect your teeth from problems such as pyorrhea which is the advanced form of periodontal disease. According to a study in 2014, mouthwash containing holy basil has an antiplaque activity, and it is effective in fighting against bacteria strains forming plaque. It is used as an antiplaque type of mouthwash with prophylactic benefits. So applying this remedy is also a good idea.
Method 1: Holy basil leaves
- Firstly, place a few holy basil leaves under the sun for a few hours
- Next grind them in order to get powder when you see the leaves dry
- After that, mix this powder with your toothpaste
- Finally, brush your teeth as usual
- Do this remedy once or twice per day
- Keep doing every day until you get the positive result
Method 2: Holy basil leaves and mustard oil
As you have known that holy basil leaves may help to whiten your teeth due to its whitening properties, so now why don’t you combine them with another ingredient? Let’s talk about this method.
- Firstly, take some holy basil leaves
- Then mix them with enough amount of mustard oil
- Finally, use this mixture to clean your teeth
- Follow this remedy once per day
- Repeat every day until your teeth are whitened
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Do you like eating crunchy food items such as apple? Apple brings a lot of benefits to our lives. And one of the benefits which it brings to us is that it may help to make your teeth whiter. In addition, eating the crunchy apple is able to scrub your teeth as your toothbrush. A 2012 study shows that apple juice has the ability to whiten your tooth enamel that had discoloration due to drinking coffee.
So what you need to do now is to try to eat at least an apple per day. If you want to stay away from the yellow stain which is accumulated on your teeth, you should do this twice a day daily.
Remember to chew it thoroughly so that the natural acid in the apple, as well as the fiber-rich rough flesh, have more time to work on the teeth.
Sometimes, you can consume other crunchy food items such as cucumbers, broccoli, and carrots.
9. Activated Charcoal
To get the white and sparkling teeth, you can use activated charcoal as one of the wonderful home remedies to whiten teeth. Charcoal contains the powerful crystal-based chemical that is capable of whitening your teeth. It is negatively charged, and it will bind to the positively charged plaque present on the surface of your teeth and then is absorbed by it, thus whitening your teeth. Here is the detailed instruction for you:
- Firstly, take some charcoal powder
- Then mix it with your toothpaste
- Finally, use this paste to brush your teeth as usual
- Do this method twice per day
- Repeat every day in order to make your teeth whiter
And if you do not have activated charcoal, you are able to use the ashes of burnt rosemary and burnt bread too.
Thanks to the antiseptic and astringent properties, neem oil or margosa oil may help you not only to whiten your teeth but also to get rid of the bad breath and prevent dental cavities. According to a study published in 2017, the isoprenoids, e.g., nimbin, nimbinin, and nimbidin, in neem have antibacterial properties that help to fight oral streptococci and also prevent them from sticking to your tooth surface. The result showed a reduction in gingivitis and plaque, similar to standard fluoridated toothpaste. Therefore, applying this remedy will help you to change your teeth color.
- You can chew some neem branches or use neem twigs as your toothbrush every day. It can help you to tackle your teeth problems along with removing yellow discoloration.
- Or you can take a little neem oil. Then mix it with your toothpaste. Finally, brush your teeth as usual. Do this remedy twice per day daily until your teeth become white as you want.
Are you a big fan of bananas? Do you often throw banana peel after eating it? Now it’s time to change your mind. Banana contains a lot of wonderful minerals such as magnesium, manganese, and potassium, all of which are absorbed over the tooth surface to make them look white. Vitamin D, which is found in bananas, helps to improve your dental health effectively .Those minerals can be absorbed into your teeth and keep them looking best.
- Firstly, take the banana peel after you eat it
- Then apply it on your teeth
- Next, rub it gently. You have to use the inside of the peel
- Finally, leave it on for 2 minutes
- Follow this process once or twice per day
- Repeat every day until your condition is improved
12. Olive Oil
One of the effective home remedies to whiten teeth is extremely simple and effective at removing yellow stains is olive oil.Olive oil pulling around your mouth may help to reduce plaque and gingivitis.
- Firstly, take a cloth or cotton swab
- Then it into a little olive oil
- Next, apply it to your teeth in 2 or 3 minutes
- Finally, brush your teeth as usual
- Do this remedy twice per day
- Keep doing every day until you notice the positive result
13. Coconut Oil Pulling
Is it true that coconut oil may help to clean your teeth? Some people say that when they apply coconut oil after brushing, their teeth will become whiter. However, most people praise the results of oil pulling with coconut oil. Swishing oil around in the mouth may help to kill bacteria, which may turn into dental plaque and cause the teeth to look yellow. Also, coconut oil is a high source of lauric acid, which may help to kill bacteria and reduce inflammation  . According to a few studies, daily oil pulling helps to reduce bacteria in your mouth, and plaque and gingivitis as well. Oil pulling with coconut oil is an effective method to decrease plaque formation and gingivitis induced by plaque. In addition, coconut oil has antimicrobial properties, so it is good for your gums.
- Now place a spoon of coconut oil into your mouth
- After that, swish it between your teeth from 5 to 20 minutes
- Do this remedy once or twice per day daily
Sometimes, you can add a few drops of coconut oil to your toothbrush and then brush your teeth. Also, you can apply coconut oil as this way. You add a little coconut oil to the corner of the washcloth and rub it on your teeth gently.
14. Turmeric, Salt, And Lime Juice
Turmeric is also one of the natural and effective home remedies to whiten teeth because of its whitening properties. When used to brush the teeth, turmeric acts as an abrasive and helps to remove stains on the teeth, thus revealing whiter teeth. It contains antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic activities, mainly due to a component called curcumin in it.
Turmeric is also useful in treating some other dental problems such as gingivitis and toothache. According to a study in the Food Chemistry in 2011, components of turmeric help to inhibit the virulence effects of S. mutans bioﬁlms (responsible for plaque formation and tooth decay) and it also helps to control dental bioﬁlms and further dental caries formation. Another study published in 2013, turmeric plays a positive role in treating periodontal diseases and even oral cancers.
The rich content of vitamin C in lemon is also beneficial in whitening teeth. According to a 2007 study, vitamin C deficiency may worsen periodontitis, which is an accumulation of bacteria on your teeth and gums. This accumulation contributes to discoloration of the teeth.
- Firstly, take some turmeric roots
- Secondly, roast them
- Next, crush them into the powder
- Then add some lime juice as well as some salt
- After that, mix them well in order to make a fine paste
- Finally, rub this paste on your teeth, leave it on for a few minutes and wash it off
- Do this remedy once or twice per week weekly
If you want to know more about natural home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 18 natural and effective home remedies to whiten teeth fast at home, hope that it can help you find out the best and most suitable home remedies to have white teeth easily and quickly. However, the article is only for informational purposes; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any of these home remedies above. If you have any questions, please leave them below.