bacteria. And if you want to know whether you have food poisoning or not, you should be aware of some of the symptoms of food poisoning. They include diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, headache, vomiting, and abdominal cramps.
When you suffer from food poisoning, your body is able to lose a lot of water. Therefore, drinking more water is a good treatment for this case to stay hydrated. In addition, drinking water will help to flush out the toxins, which cause food poisoning symptoms. However, there are various treatments you can apply when you have food poisoning. This article describes the best home remedies for food poisoning in adults and children naturally. There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
- 10 best tips to prevent food poisoning naturally
- Top 10 foods you should avoid reheating in microwave
1. Ginger Tea
Ginger has been used for thousands of years for treating innumerable ailments owing to its powerful preventive and therapeutic effects . Ginger aids in improving assimilation and absorption of essential nutrients and promoting digestion. Ginger also relieves vomiting and nausea, which are the usual symptoms related to foodborne illnesses .
- Take a teaspoon of grated ginger.
- Pour a cup of boiling water into it
- Let it steep for a few minutes
- Add some honey or sugar to this tea depending on your taste
- Drink this ginger tea several times per day until your symptoms of food poisoning are gone
2. Ginger Juice And Honey
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
Ginger juice helps you to reduce pain or inflammation thanks to its anti-inflammatory. Studies show that honey can soothe the pain in the stomach within minutes due to its antifungal and antibacterial effects. Take some drops of ginger juice and add it to the honey
- Mix them well.
- Swallow this mixture various times per day until you feel better.
Sometimes, you can consume fresh ginger slices or you may add ginger to your diet every day.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another excellent treatment for food poisoning. The acidic in apple cider vinegar has the alkaline effect, so it helps to soothe the gastrointestinal lining and kill the bacteria. Using ACV will give you an immediate relief from food poisoning, so let give it a try.
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Dilute it in a cup of hot water.
- Drink this mixture before you eat your food.
Besides, you can drink apple cider vinegar without diluting. Taking two or three teaspoons of this vinegar is good for your situation. And remember to follow this method before you eat something to get rid of food poisoning.
4. Basil Juice And Honey
Basil is known as a fantastic herb which can soothe the abdominal discomfort caused by food poisoning. It can also fight the micro-organisms because of its antimicrobial properties. Honey, on the other hand, comes with antibacterial and antifungal effects, all of which help to kill the bacteria responsible for food poisoning.
- Take and wash carefully some basil leaves.
- Extract the juice from these leaves.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the juice.
- Add a little fresh coriander juice if desired.
- Drink this solution several times per day.
- Keep doing this method until your situation is improved.
Lemon is potent in battling food poisoning due to its antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, the acid present in lemon can kill the bacteria which cause food poisoning.
- Cut a lemon into two halves. Squeeze them to take the juice. Add a pinch of sugar to lemon juice. Drink this two or three times per day.
- Alternatively, dilute a tablespoon of lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Sip this solution to help clean your system out.
6. Cumin Seeds With Coriander Juice
Cumin seeds are sometimes called jeera. These seeds will help you to ease abdominal discomfort and stomach inflammation caused by food poisoning. Food poisoning caused due to Salmonella is known as Salmonellosis. The research suggests that coriander can boost recovery from full-blown intestinal infections by killing dangerous bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella.
- Pour a teaspoon of cumin seeds into a cup of water and boil it.
- After boiling, remove the heat and let it cool.
- Add a little salt and a teaspoon of coriander juice to it.
- Drink this solution twice per day.
- Continue drinking for a few days until you escape from all the symptoms of food poisoning.
Garlic is said to have the effect on fighting food poisoning because of its strong antifungal, antiviral along with antibacterial properties . Besides, it can reduce the symptoms related to food poisoning such as diarrhea and abdominal pain.
- Eat a fresh garlic clove and swallow it with water.
- You can also take some fresh garlic cloves and extract juice from them. Consume this garlic juice.
- Another option is to take some garlic oil. Mix it with an equal amount of soybean oil well. Finally, you gently rub this mixture onto your stomach after you eat something.
- Apply the remedy regularly until your symptoms are taken away.
Honey is an effective remedy for a lot of health problems including food poisoning. It exhibits both antibacterial and antifungal properties which are very useful in dealing with indigestion or some other symptoms of food poisoning. Honey can be taken in the pure form or sometimes added to tea. Thus, if you consume a teaspoon of honey three times every day, it can heal your upset stomach wonderfully. It can also control the formation of excess acid in your stomach.
9. Yogurt And Fenugreek Seeds
A study showed that yogurt contains immunologic effects that can cure many problems related to eating. Yogurt contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, so it can help to fight the bacteria causing food poisoning. Meanwhile, fenugreek seeds can help to treat abdominal discomfort. Therefore, when you combine both ingredients together, it will give you a relief from vomiting along with stomach pain.
- Prepare a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Swallow the fenugreek seeds first and then swallow the yogurt.
- Follow this method several times per day.
- Remember not to chew them together.
As you know, bananas are both a delicious fruit and a good remedy for a lot of problems including food poisoning. It is rich in potassium, so it can help to supply the amount of potassium which you lose because of diarrhea and vomiting.
You just need to consume a ripe banana every day. It will help you to restore your energy level. If you want to eat a ripe banana, let’s make a banana shake. Drinking this healthy and tasty banana shake two or three times per day to get rid of food poisoning.
11. Cumin Seeds, Salt And Asafetida
Cumin seed is aids in secreting pancreatic enzymes that help to support healthy digestive function. Apart from that, it’s even beneficial for easing discomfort caused by food poisoning. Thanks to its antimicrobial, anti-flatulence & anti-inflammatory agents, asafetida can treat the symptoms of food poisoning effectively. Thus, drinking the tea made of cumin seeds, salt and asafetida is very helpful.
- Pour a teaspoon of cumin seed into a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep in a few minutes.
- Add a little salt and asafetida into this liquid.
- Stir them well.
- Drink this liquid twice or thrice per day.
- Repeat this remedy in a few days until your symptoms are all gone.
12. Peppermint Tea
The inhaled vapor of peppermint essential oils may help reduce the incidence and severity of d vomiting and nausea associated with food poisoning. Besides, it composes of potent anti-bacterial agents, which fight against the bacteria contributing to food poisoning and decrease abdominal cramps.
- Take a few peppermint leaves.
- Pour one cup of boiling water into the leaves.
- Let it steep in a few minutes.
- Drink this peppermint tea 3 or 4 times per day.
- Keep doing this process until the symptoms of food poisoning are all gone away.
You can also eat anything which contains menthol or peppermint such as hard candies and chewing gum because peppermint can calm the contraction in your stomach down. Besides, it can help in digestion of food and expel gas.
13. Corn Starch With Orange Juice Or Apple Juice
The combination between orange or apple juice and corn starch will help to take away food poisoning effectively. Apples contain many benefits because they have enzymes which prevent the growth of bacteria causing food poisoning. Also, they are even useful for providing relief from diarrhea, acidity, and stomach pain.
- Take a glass of orange juice.
- Add two teaspoons of corn starch syrup.
- Stir well together.
- Drink this juice to fasten the healing process.
- Drink this several times per day until your condition has improved.
- Allow your stomach to settle. That means you stop drinking or eating in a few hours
- Try drinking small sips of water or sucking on ice chips.
- Ease back into eating but stop eating if nausea returns.
- Stay away from dairy products
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Drink a lot of water, about 10 cups per day. When you are suffering from food poisoning, you ought to drink more water than that.
- Have a rest
- Do not consume spicy food or fatty food
- Wash your hands carefully with antiseptic soap before or after you have meals
- Wash your dishes as well as utensils in the warm water in order to kill bacteria
- Use a disinfectant to clean cutting boards, tables, and kitchen slaps regularly
- Store your food properly in order to prevent cross-contamination
- Avoid eating fresh mushrooms which have just been picked up 
- Do not eat the food which you keep in the fridge for a long time
- Cook everything carefully until it is well done, especially meat
If you want to know more about natural home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. The article is only for informational purposes; therefore, you should see your doctor to get advice before applying any of these home remedies for food poisoning. If you have any questions, or you know other at home remedies for food poisoning, please share them with us below.