Women, when suffering from menstrual cramps, cannot interest in doing their regular activities. But this problem may decrease with their age as well as often disappear once women have a baby. There are many ways of healing menstrual cramps in adults at home by using natural solutions such as herbs, vegetables, fruits, and other ingredients. In this article, Effective Remedies will show you the best home remedies for menstrual cramps relief. The following writing collected information from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Top 19 Natural Home Remedies For Menstrual Cramps Relief
Menstrual cramps (also known as Dysmenorrhea ) are dull, cramping, or throbbing pains in the lower abdomen that was mostly experienced in women during or before their monthly periods. Prostaglandin hormone is the main hormone which is responsible for the inflammation and menstrual cramps during your period. In addition, it may be caused by uterine fibroids, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), adenomyosis, cervical stenosis, etc. This disease has many symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sweating, pain, etc. Here are the best ways for reducing menstrual cramps you should try applying.
1. Cinnamon Tea
In fact, cinnamon has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties which can assist you in easing the menstrual cramps symptoms.
- Ground cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon or 1 stick of cinnamon
- Teabag – 1
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- At first, you put the cinnamon in the boiling water cup
- Then you stir them well and allow this water mixture to steep for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Next, you add the tea bag into the mixture and continue to steep it for 2 or 3 minutes
- You may make it sweeter by combining it with sugar or honey.
- You consume this cinnamon tea when it is still warm and remember to apply it regularly to get a relief from menstrual cramps.
- Besides, you many sprinkle the cinnamon powder in your breakfast, on sweet rolls or on toast.
2. Home Remedies For Menstrual Cramps – Fennel Seed And Honey
Fennel seed contains antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, and phytoestrogen properties, which can help you relax your muscles in the uterus and thereby relieving cramping along with discomfort faster.
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Now, you firstly add the fennel seeds into the boiling water.
- Then you simmer this mixture on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Next, you take the mixture out of the heat and strain the tea.
- After that, you combine this tea with the honey and mix them well.
- You drink this herbal tea twice per day beginning 3 days before the first expected day of your cycle.
- Keep drinking it as you need to relieve pain. To get the best results, you should drink this tea when it is hot.
3. Home Remedies For Menstrual Cramps with Ginger, Salt, & Honey
Ginger has the ability to make your pain reduced, leading to lower prostaglandins as well as to make you feel more comfortable from menstrual cramps. Additionally, it also helps you calm the stomach and soothe your cramps.
Remedy 1: Ginger alone
- You simply take ½ teaspoon of dried ginger powder or grated ginger
- Then you mix it with 1 cup of boiling water
- You stir well and let the mixture steep for a few minutes
- Now, you can drink this ginger tea to treat this problem along with other menstrual pains.
- You should drink this tea for 3 times per day
- Or you may eat the raw ginger or include it in cooked, ale, cookies, candies, snacks form
Remedy 2: Combine ginger, salt, & honey for menstrual cramps relief
- Firstly, you boil some ginger slices for a few minutes and then strain the water
- Next, you add 1 pinch of salt in this water and stir them well
- To drink it, you put a little honey in this mixture, which can make you feel more comfortable from menstrual cramps.
4. Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap molasses is another remedy in the list of top home remedies for menstrual cramps. In fact, blackstrap molasses are high in calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, vitamin B6, selenium, and manganese, which may help you a lot in reducing blood clots as well as in soothing the muscles of your uterine walls. This will also lessen cramps during menstruation.
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup of warm milk
- First of all, you put blackstrap molasses into the warm milk.
- Then you stir them well to make a fine mixture.
- You just drink this mixture whenever you start having menstrual cramps.
- Let continue this remedy as you need.
5. Peppermint For Treating Menstrual Cramps
Peppermint is also one of well-known home remedies for menstrual cramps. In fact, peppermint works as an appetite suppressant and natural muscle relaxer. Hence, it may help you to heal this disease faster.
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint leaves powder (dried)
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Firstly, you pour the dried peppermint leaves powder into the boiling water
- Then you stir them well to make a mixture and let this mixture steep for several minutes
- Next, you strain the tea and drink this. You may add sugar or honey to make it sweeter if you want.
- You should consume this tea once or twice per day
- In addition, you may try sucking some mint candies or including this leaves to your diet.
Papaya is a potent anti-inflammatory agent, which is very helpful in healing menstrual cramps. Additionally, it contains many nutrients such as carotene, calcium, iron, vitamins A and C, which will assist you in soothing the uterine wall as well as in easing muscle contractions. You simply include papaya in each of your daily meals before and during your period to decrease or eliminate pain caused by this problem.
7. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile has natural anti-inflammatory properties that have the ability to decrease the production of prostaglandin and thereby giving you a relief from menstrual cramps.
- 1 teaspoon of chamomile powder (dried)
- 1 cup of boiling water
- You just mix the dried chamomile powder into the boiling water and stir them well
- After that, you steep it for about 7 to 10 minutes
- Next, you strain the tea and consume it slowly for several times daily.
8. Lemon And Honey
This is one of the effective home remedies for menstrual cramps. Lemon has a good amount of minerals and vitamins along with alkalizing effect which can keep your body hydrated and thereby helping you in healing this disease.
- 1 glass of warm water
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- First of all, you squeeze the lemon to get its juice.
- Then you put this lemon juice into the warm water and honey
- You stir it well until they form a consistent mixture.
- You should drink this lemon water every day in the morning when you have an empty stomach.
- This will help you stay hydrated all day and keep menstrual cramps at bay.
Basil is rich in caffeic acid that has a pain-killing and analgesic effect. In addition, it may help you to relieve the pain caused by menstrual cramps.
- 2 tablespoons of basil leaves
- 1 pint of boiling water
- You simply add the basil leaves into the boiling water
- Then you stir them well and cover it tightly
- You let it cool down a few minutes to reach the room temperature.
- After that, you can drink ½ to 1 cup of this tea per hour to get rid of the pain
- You should follow this remedy whenever you need.
10. Heat Or Hot Compress
You may apply heat or hot compress directly to your lower back and lower abdomen to assist you in relieving pain. This is considered as one of the oldest home remedies for menstrual cramps that you have to try.
- You just take a hot water bottle or heating pad and then put it directly on your abdomen. You have to be sure that this bottle/pad is not over heat
- If you do not have any hot water bottle or heating pad, you may use a hot towel or warm bath instead.
- You should apply this remedy regularly during your monthly periods
11. Drinking Warm Water
Drink at least 10 glasses of water during your menstruation if you want to get relief from pain.
It is recommended to drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water during menstruation. Because your body loses an amount of blood, it asks enough water to fill the loss of blood. But instead of consuming cold or normal water, you’d better drink warm water. Let Drink 5 to 7 glasses of warm water to help you in relieving the soreness of your muscles as well as to provide you with a relief from the pain caused by menstrual cramps. Remember that drinking water is important during menstruation and if you do not provide your body with enough water, you will become severely dehydrated. This is also known as a reason causing cramping.
12. Parsley, Carrot, Beetroot, & Cucumber
Parley will help you to heal the pain caused due to menstrual cramps. Additionally, it also raises menstruation as well as regularizes the monthly periods.
- You firstly take parsley, carrot, cucumber, and beetroot at an equal ratio
- Then you mix all these ingredients well and blend them to get the juice.
- Now you drink 75 milliliters of this juice per day to keep menstrual cramps at bay.
13. Fenugreek Seeds
In fact, fenugreek seeds are very beneficial reducing inflammation of your muscles. When pregnancy women are in the last stages, consuming the fenugreek water will help them to decrease the contractions of their uterus.
Fenugreek seeds are natural analgesics which can bring a great relief from the painful in menstruation.
- To apply it, you need to take 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Then you combine them with 1 glass of warm water.
- You stir them well and wait for a few minutes.
- After that, you strain the water and drink it before your monthly periods 3 or 4 days.
- You should continue this treatment at the third day of your periods.
Another remedy in the list of top home remedies for menstrual cramps is flaxseeds. These seeds can help you to decrease the prostaglandin production (responsible for menstrual cramps or pain) in your body thanks to their herbal properties. You simply consume 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds per day whenever you suffer from menstrual cramps to get rid of this problem faster.
15. Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is high in calcium and the lack of calcium in women may lead to menstrual cramps. Hence, you should start consuming 2 cups of hot chocolate per day before your monthly periods 3 days. Remember to continue consuming the hot chocolate two times for the 4 to 5 days of your monthly periods.
Carrots are well-known to be useful for the eyes. Hence, if people want to keep their eyes sight, they should include carrots in your daily meals. However, carrots also have another effect in treating menstrual cramps. It may aid women in order that the menstrual flow can become more regular and thereby cramps can be lessened.
- At first, you slice a fresh carrot into many small pieces.
- Then you put these pieces with a cup of water in a blender and blend them until they become a juice.
- You drink this carrot juice daily to get the best results.
17. Doing Exercise
Doing exercise will help to release endorphins, which can act like a mood lifter and natural pain killer. It also assists you in increasing the blood flow to your reproductive organs, relieving stress, giving relaxation, etc. Hence, doing exercise daily especially during your monthly periods will help to get a relief from menstrual cramps.
18. Aloe Vera
The final remedy I want to introduce you in the list of top home remedies for menstrual cramps is aloe Vera. It has the ability to decrease the pressure found in your uterus and thereby keeping the pain at bay.
- Firstly, you cut an aloe Vera leaf and squeeze to get its gel.
- Then you mix this gel with a cup of warm water and a bit of honey.
- You stir them you and drink this two times per day during your monthly periods.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 19 natural home remedies for menstrual cramps, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of menstrual cramps relief quickly and easily. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for menstrual cramps, please leave them below.