Itchy skin or pruritus is a common beauty problem affecting many people. It can disrupt your sleep and daily activities. This problem is not serious, but it can result in injuries and infections if leaf untreated. You may suffer from itching in certain body areas, such as your legs or arms, or all over the body. This problem is accompanied by other changes such as bump or blisters, redness and spots, scaly skin, and dry and peeling skin. Thankfully, lots of natural remedies can give you quick relief from the itchy skin and inhibit complications caused due to excessive scratching. In this post, we, Effective Remedies, have listed the best ways on how to get rid of itchy skin on the face, hands, feet, or during pregnancy. Keep reading to learn more!
- Effective home remedies for jock itch relief for men & women that work naturally
- Effective home remedies for rashes on the body that work naturally
- Effective home remedies for hives that work naturally
26 Ways How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Face, Hands, Feet, Or During Pregnancy
I. Causes Of Itchy Skin
This skin condition is a result of different factors. They include:
- Dry Skin: This is one of the leading causes of itchy skin. The problem of dry skin often results from older age and environmental factors such as bathing or washing too much and long-term use of central heating or air conditioning.
- Nerve disorders: Some conditions affecting the nervous system including diabetes mellitus, multiple sclerosis, pinched nerves, and shingles can lead to itching.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, a few women undergo itchy skin, especially on their thighs and abdomen. Besides, itchy skin conditions can worsen during pregnancy.
- Irritation And Allergic Reactions: Chemicals, wool, soaps and other substances may irritate the skin and result in itching. The substance, such as cosmetics or poison ivy, sometimes causes an allergic reaction.
- Internal Diseases: The itchy skin can be a sign or symptom of underlying ailments such as liver disease, iron deficiency anemia, kidney failure, cancers and thyroid problems.
- Skin Conditions And Rashes: Lots of skin conditions can cause itch to the skin, including eczema (dermatitis), scabies, psoriasis, lice, hives, and chickenpox.
- Drugs: Reactions to antifungal, antibiotic, or narcotic drugs can cause widespread itching and rashes.
II. Foods That Relieve Itchy Skin
Certain foods you eat on a regular basis can assist in alleviating the itchy skin. For example, consuming foods high in vitamins A, C and E can suppress the urge to scratch, which provides much-needed relief. Here are some of the best foods that can help you eliminate the itchy skin naturally:
- Foods High In Vitamin A: Vitamin A can help with the development and growth of skin, promoting the sebum production, which can keep the itchy skin clean and fresh. This vitamin is also perfect for reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. You can find vitamin A in eggs, liver, cantaloupe, and sweet potatoes.
- Foods High In Vitamin C: A lack of vitamin C is often associated with rough, scaly and dry skin that can be itchy and cause inflammation. This vitamin also protects the skin by reducing your exposure to the sun rays. Green peppers, grapefruit, kiwi, oranges, cabbage, and broccoli are some of the best sources of vitamin C.
- Food High In Vitamin E: This vitamin has antioxidant properties, which help to guard your skin against free radicals. It additionally aids in minimizing the free radical effects. It’s also helpful in creating skin cells by improving blood circulation on the skin. Consume foods such as nuts, seeds, corn, olive, spinach and wheat germ to stimulate your vitamin E intake.
III. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Face
1. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Face With Basil
Basil contains a potent essential oil named eugenol and topical anesthetic. Along with that, it exhibits compounds named thymol and camphor, which work effectively on combating itching. Ways to use it:
- Boiling water – two cups
- Dried basil leaves – one tablespoon
Add the basil leaves to the boiling water at first and cover the pan for several minutes. Allow the mixture to cool down and then, apply it over your face with the support of a cotton ball.
- Basil leaves
Pick up some basil leaves and crush them well. Then, rub them over the affected skin region and let it dry. Afterward, clean it with tepid water. Do the process many times per day.
2. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Face With Thyme
Thyme consists of anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help numb the nerve fibers and reduce the inflammation caused due to excessive scratching. These agents also help to calm skin infections, redness, allergies, and itchiness.
- Dried thyme leaves – one tablespoon
- Boiling water – two cups
Firstly, add the dried thyme leaves to the boiling water. Cover the cup for a couple of minutes and let it steep. Let it cool down and strain it up. After that, use a clean cloth to apply it to the affected skin. For quick results, reapply it many times in a day.
3. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Face With Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil possesses soothing and analgesic agents, which make it a fantastic remedy for itchy skin on the face. This remedy is useful for people with itchy skin caused due to stress, scabies or dermatitis. It additionally contains cooling properties that can help battle itching caused by poison ivy, bug bites, and hives. Apart from that, it is beneficial for calming itching related to liver disease, kidney disease, and diabetes.
- Carrier oil such as coconut, almond or olive oil – one tablespoon
- Peppermint oil – three drops
Add the peppermint oil to the carrier oil at first and later apply this diluted peppermint oil to the face and massage it gently over your face. Try this remedy twice a day.
4. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Face With Lemon
Lemon is full of citric and acetic acids, anti-irritating, anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic agents, which are helpful for treating itchy skin. Lemon also contains vitamin C that functions as bleaching properties. It also has the volatile oil that can decrease the inflammation together with numb sensations.
- Fresh lemon – 1 to 2
Extract the lemon juice at first. Use a cotton ball to apply this juice over the itchy skin area. Allow this application to dry naturally and wash it off by using tepid water. Reapply it twice a day.
IV. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet
1. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Vinegar
Vinegar can treat fungal infections thanks to its powerful antiseptic. It works by creating an environment that does not welcome the development and growth of bacteria. The acetic acid housed in it serves as an antiseptic, destroys the invading pathogen and neutralizes the skin’s acidity to relieve itching.
- Warm water
Just mix a part of vinegar with three parts of warm water in a bucket or a small tub. Later, soak your feet in this resultant mixture for fifteen minutes and thoroughly oat dry. For quick results, do the process twice daily.
2. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Baking Soda
Baking soda is a widely-used treatment for itchy skin on feet. It holds anti-inflammatory properties, which help to soothe the itchiness and inflammation on the skin. Baking soda is also helpful for balancing the skin’s pH levels, thereby making an environment that does not encourage the development and growth of bacteria.
- Baking soda – one tablespoon
Make a paste of the baking soda and water and rub it between the toes. Wait for a few minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water. After that, dry your feet. Follow this simple way two or three times on a regular basis for a couple of weeks.
3. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Garlic
Garlic exhibits powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which are ideal for treating various health and skin ailments including the itchy skin on feet. Garlic can alleviate itching skin. Besides, the presence of olive oil in this remedy ensures that the skin remains hydrated, thereby preventing further itching and drying.
- Olive oil – three drops
- Garlic clove -1
Crush the garlic clove and mix it with the olive oil. Stir these ingredients thoroughly to attain a paste. Start applying this paste to your affected areas and let it remain for thirty minutes. Afterward, rinse with water and a light antifungal soap. Redo daily for best results.
4. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful remedy for combating a lot of skin ailments. It is also a fantastic treatment for itchy feet due to its antifungal and antiseptic properties. Besides, this oil also helps to deal with acne, boils, warts, and rashes. Not only that, it can eliminate the fungi from the skin’s surface, kill the bacteria and leave you feeling good again.
Mix vegetable oil and pure tea tree oil in equal amounts and rub the mixture on your affected skin two times per day.
Just combine a part of aloe vera gel with three parts of tea tree oil. Rub this solution on your feet two times
5. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Cinnamon
Cinnamon is a good ingredient to relieve itchy skin on feet. Thanks to its excellent antiseptic abilities, cinnamon works well in killing off bacteria. Apart from that, its antiperspirant nature helps to battle the fungi causing itching.
- Cinnamon sticks – 8 to 10
- Boiling water – 4 cups
Break the stick of cinnamon into tiny parts and add these cinnamon stick bits to the boiling water. Allow this blend to simmer for five minutes on low heat and let it steep for around 45 minutes. After that, soak the feet inside of the solution for one hour and pat your feet dry. For the desired results, repeat the treatment 1 to 2 times a day.
6. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil comes with antifungal properties that make it ideal for conditions such as athlete’s foot, ringworm, and jock itch. Lavender oil also effectively fights against itchy skin owing to its natural antiseptic and antiperspirant. It can also help soothe the itching and stinging of bug bites. It’s also a soft, soothing scent making it an excellent choice for moisturizing dry skin.
- Lavender oil – several drops
- Carrier oil such as jojoba or olive oil
Mix the lavender oil with the carrier oil. Start applying the oil mixture to your feet. Let the oil work for around 5 to 10 minutes. Afterward, clean off with generous amounts of water or a paper towel. For visible results, repeat the treatment daily.
7. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Salt
Using salt is highly effective for eradicating the fungi causing itchy skin since it’s a natural purifier. It’s made of magnesium sulfate, which helps to ease irritated skin and remove toxins. It additionally dries out insect bites and oozing itches along, while making the remaining healthy skin soothed and cleansed.
- Warm water
- Salt – four tablespoons
Mix the salt with a quart of warm water in a small tub. Mix these things thoroughly until the salt completely dissolves in the water. Start soaking your feet in the solution for roughly 10 minutes and after that, pat dry with a towel. Follow the process three to four times throughout the day.
8. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Yogurt
Yogurt is chock-full of calcium, protein, and vitamins B2 (riboflavin), B12, B5 and D, and probiotics so that it provides us with many health benefits. It is perfect for fighting dryness thanks to its excellent skin-hydrating agent. Plus, it consists of the lactic acid that can remove bacteria and germs causing itchiness. Apart from that, it is potent in soothing itchy and dry skin due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Cool plain yogurt
Get some cool plain yogurt and apply it directly to your feet. Allow your application to sit for around ten minutes and pat dry. Reapply two times a day for a couple of weeks.
9. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Feet With Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly can absorb moisture from the skin, thereby creating an unwelcoming environment for the bacteria inhabiting the skin and causing itching.
- Petroleum jelly
Pick up some petroleum jelly and apply it to your feet. Use an old pair of socks to cover up and let it act overnight. In the morning, remove by taking a shower. Follow the remedy nightly before sleeping for a few days.
V. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Hands
1. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Hands With Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is an ideal remedy for decreasing itching in your hands owing to its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It’s also chock full of vitamin E that assists in keeping your skin hydrated and moisturized, thus lowering itching.
- An aloe vera leaf
- Lukewarm water
The first step is slicing open the aloe vera leaf and squeezing out its gel into one clean bowl. Then, start applying this fresh gel on the hands and wait for roughly 15 minutes before washing with lukewarm water. For best results, try this treatment once in a day.
- Fresh aloe vera gel – one tablespoon
- Green clay – two tablespoons
Just combine all the above components well to have a smooth paste. Later apply the paste on your hands and allow it to air dry. After fifteen minutes, wash the hands with lukewarm water. You should reapply it once in a day to get the desired results.
2. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Hands With ACV
ACV works wonders in eliminating itchiness in your hands, as it comprises anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and anti-itching abilities. It additionally contains certain enzymes, which can restore the skin’s pH balance. Moreover, its antimicrobial properties can prevent infection while its anti-inflammatory characteristics reduce the itchy symptoms.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cotton ball
- Lukewarm water
You get a little amount of ACV and apply it on the hands with a cotton ball. Rinse it after half an hour with lukewarm water. To get rid of itchiness soon, do the process 1-2 times throughout the day for several days.
3. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Hands With Cool Water
Using cool water may be one of the easy and simple ways to combat itchy skin on hands. It helps calm itching by easing the inflamed skin. It aids in bringing almost immediate relief from the itching. For this treatment, wrap an ice cube in one thin cotton cloth and rub your affected areas with it. After that, have a bath or take a shower in cool water. Alternatively, pick up a clean washcloth and sip it in cold water. Later wring out the excess and place it over your problem areas. Let it remain for fifteen minutes and replace it afterward. Repeat the procedure as needed.
4. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Hands With Cloves & Juniper Berries
A combination of juniper berries and cloves is an excellent treatment for itchy skin. Juniper berries are beneficial for bringing down the itching and inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Cloves, on the other hand, possess a powerful essential oil, which reduces itching by numbing the nerve endings.
- Unsalted butter – six tablespoons
- Beeswax – two tablespoons
- Ground cloves – three tablespoons
- Ground juniper berries – five tablespoons
Add the unsalted butter to one saucepan and melt it. Later melt the beeswax in another saucepan. Then, add the melted butter to melted beeswax and use a spatula to stir well. After that, stir in the ground juniper berries and ground cloves and leave the mixture to cool down. Start applying it on your hands and keep it on overnight. Wash it off with water in the morning. Use this remedy one time a day for some days.
5. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin On Hands With Oatmeal
Oatmeal is another efficient method that can soothe the itchy skin. It possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-irritating effects, which work together on soothing and comforting your itchy skin.
- Colloidal oatmeal – a cup
Add enough water to the colloidal oatmeal to create a paste. Allow it to thicken for a while and apply the paste to your affected areas. Cover with a cloth and wash after half an hour with cool water. You can use this remedy once throughout the day.
VI. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin During Pregnancy
1. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin During Pregnancy With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is helpful to ease the itchy skin since it has anti-inflammatory properties. Besides, it’s highly moisturizing, thus treating the itchy skin caused due to xerosis –dry skin. Ways to have coconut oil for removing itchy skin during pregnancy:
Pick up little organic coconut oil in the hands and massage it gently onto your problem areas. Keep the oil on all night or around 30-40 minutes before rinsing it off. Redo at least once every day.
- Coconut oil – 30 ml
- Rose geranium oil – 12 drops
Just add the rose geranium oil to the coconut oil and mix these oils well. Apply it to your affected areas and wash it off after 30 to 60 minutes. Do this process one to two times daily. Rose geranium oil can be useful for eliminating the itchy skin because of its anti-itch and anti-inflammatory abilities.
- Coconut oil – 30 ml
- Juniper oil – 12 drops
Add the juniper oil to the coconut oil and apply the solution to the regions that are itching. After 30-60 minutes, wash it off. For quick relief, repeat it 1 to 2 times every day. Juniper oil owns the potent anti-inflammatory properties that not only alleviate itching but also bring down inflammation and swelling.
2. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin During Pregnancy With Dandelion Root
This herb is alkaline. It effectively helps to relieve itching and inflammation by restoring the lost pH of your skin. Besides, the carotenoids housed in dandelion roots are useful for promoting healthy skin. Here’s how to treat this condition during pregnancy with this magical herb:
- Dandelion root – one to two tablespoons
- Water – a cup
Just add the root to the water and boil it in a saucepan. Simmer for roughly five minutes and strain. Let the solution cool a bit and soak one cotton pad in it. Apply to your itchy skin and allow the application to dry. Do this process 2 to 3 times every day.
3. How To Get Rid Of Itchy Skin During Pregnancy With Gram Flour Paste
Gram flour is a wonderful remedy for the healthy and smooth skin. It is also perfect for getting rid of inflammation, skin irritation and itchiness.
- Gram flour – one tablespoon
Add enough amounts of yogurt to the gram flour and mix them well to achieve a paste. Apply the resultant paste to your affected areas and let it dry. Remove the paste with water after half an hour. Follow the simple remedy once daily.
VII. Prevention Tips
The following tips and tricks can help to prevent itching:
- Keep the surroundings humid and prevent the skin from drying and becoming itchy by using a humidifier.
- Shower every day and keep the nails trimmed.
- Wear cotton, loose-fitting clothing.
- Drink plenty of water daily to help keep yourself well hydrated.
- Keep your skin moisturized by applying a good moisturizer.
- Avoid or limit consuming alcohol and caffeine.
- Test for allergic reactions to foods such as milk, peanuts, eggs, mushrooms, fish, etc., and avoid them.
VIII. When To Visit A Doctor?
In a few cases, the problem of itchy skin can become intense and prolong for a long time. You must visit your doctor or dermatologist if the itching:
- doesn’t recover event after self-care
- lasts for a few weeks
- is severe
- affects the entire body
- begins suddenly without explanation
- is scarring or has become an infection
- is accompanied by symptoms such as tiredness, fever or weight loss.
These are all the best remedies to combat the itchy skin. Try following any of these treatments regularly to achieve the satisfying results. If you know other easy ways on how to get rid of itchy skin on face, hands, feet, or during pregnancy? Please post it in the comments box below. Also, we always welcome any query or doubt. All of the contents provided in this article are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.