Nausea or qualm is the discomfort and uneasy feeling that appears in the upper stomach. Usually, people who suffer from nausea have a prime symptom like the strong involuntary urge to vomit, but sometimes they may have a feeling of nausea without vomiting. Nausea is not a severe disease; actually, it is a sign of some other ailments. The prolonged feeling of nausea and vomiting may lead to dehydration or electrolyte imbalance. Intentional vomiting repeatedly may relieve the uneasy feeling of nausea because the stomach acid will wear out faster.
There are many causes of nausea such as stomach infection, pregnancy, food poisoning, depression, drug abuse, an overdose of caffeine, chemotherapy, excessive use of alcohol , aversion, worry and so on. The main symptoms of nausea are diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, fret, uneasiness, wooziness, dizziness, anxiety, heartburn, etc. 
Nausea may occur anytime, so applying natural remedies are very useful. Especially when you are getting stomach problems or pregnant, taking the drug to treat nausea is very dangerous. Therefore, in this writing, Effective Remedies is going to reveal 20 most effective home remedies for nausea feeling in adults & children that work naturally. Let’s enjoy!
20 Effective Home Remedies For Nausea Feeling In Adults & Kids That Work Naturally
The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies that can be used alongside usual medical treatment. Always consult your doctor about your nausea feeling, and if symptoms are getting worse rather than better.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
The smell of lemon helps to relieve nausea by calming your stomach. Lemon has the neutralizing acids that create bicarbonates in the stomach that in turn heal nausea caused by the gas, flu, heartburn, bloating, and upset stomach. In a clinical trial assessed the effect of the aromatherapy of lemon inhalation on nausea & vomiting during pregnancy, one hundred pregnant women suffering from nausea & vomiting were separated into the controlled group and intervention one. When patients felt nauseous, they inhaled lemon essential oil or a placebo. The results showed that the intensity of nausea & vomiting in the 2nd and 4th days of treatment in the intervention group was lower than the controlled one. This suggests that lemon scent may be useful in lowering nausea in pregnant women .
- Mix 1 tsp of honey with 1 tsp of lemon juice well
- You can consume this mixture slowly by using a small teaspoon or lick it off slowly.
- Use a sharp knife to slice a lemon into two parts
- Put one part close to your nose and smell it till you feel better
- You have to exhale and inhale fully; or else, this leads to some other problems.
- Squeeze half a lemon to extract the lemon juice
- Mix this lemon juice with ½ tsp of salt in fresh water
- Before drinking this water, you should smell it in 1-3 minutes
- Note: If you have high blood pressure, keep off the salt.
- You will need ½ tsp of sugar, 10 drops of fresh lemon juice, and ¼ tsp of baking soda
- Mix all ingredients in a glass of water and drink it to get rid of nausea quickly.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
Thanks to the antispasmodic properties, peppermint may help to relieve your nausea problems  and prevent the upset stomach . A research conducted in 1997 by the scientists at Liverpool University showed that peppermint could effectively cure post-operative nausea . In 2012, researchers working at Molloy College evaluated the special effects of aromatherapy on the postoperative nausea severity in women experiencing surgical procedures. Women with postoperative nausea got traditional antiemetics, saline vapor, or inhalation of peppermint oil. The results showed the significant effect of aromatherapy in reducing nausea . Moreover, using peppermint essential oil might help to reduce the cost of treatment. Here are two effective ways to use the peppermint.
- Place a few drops of fresh peppermint oil on a clean cotton swab or tissue
- Directly apply it to your gums
- Or, you can pour this oil into your hands
- Rub gently on your gums by using your fingertips.
- Add 1 tsp of dried peppermint leaves to a cup of hot water and let them steep for 3-5 minutes
- Add 1 tsp of honey
- Enjoy this warm tea slowly
- This peppermint tea may help you relieve nausea caused by intestinal cramping quickly.
Ginger is considered as one of the best, oldest home remedies for nausea . It encourages the secretion of several digestive enzymes to neutralize stomach acids, thereby, improve digestion. The pungent phenols and volatile oils  presenting in ginger may relax the stomach muscles to decrease the overactivity of the stomach. They also influence the nervous system and intestines. This is very useful to relieve nausea feeling. Ginger has positive effects on both chemotherapy-induced nausea and pregnancy-related one. Many preclinical & clinical studies have found that ginger had a nausea-reducing impact and might fight against different stimuli such as seasickness, morning sickness and chemotherapy-induced nausea . You can use ginger in many forms such as cooked, raw, ale, or any other types to treat this problem. Now, we are going to introduce you to 3 natural methods to cure nausea using ginger.
Method 1: Ginger Tea
- 2-3 cups of water
- 2 inches of ginger root
- Honey (optional)
How to make:
- Wash the ginger root thoroughly with water
- Peel it and slice it into small pieces (you can cut it into tiny pieces for more effectively)
- Boil water over medium-high temperature
- Then, add the ginger to the boiling water
- After 5 minutes, remove from the heat and pour it into a cup or mug
- You can add a little honey if you like and sip this tea slowly to feel more comfortable
- Repeat this process till you get relief from nausea.
Method 2: Ginger Ale
- 3-4 strips of lemon
- 2 cups of ginger (roughly chopped and peeled)
- ¾ of chilled club soda
- 4-5 cups of water
- ½ -1 cup of sugar
- Ice cubes
How to make:
- Place lemon peel and chopped ginger in a saucepan
- Pour water into the saucepan and boil it over high heat
- Cook it till the boiling point and simmer it for 10 minutes without covering
- At the same time, add a small amount of sugar and stir it well
- Then remove from heat when the mixture is decreased to three cups (after 15 minutes)
- Strain this mixture into a large clean bowl and pour it into a clean glass container with a tight lid. Keep it for 7 days
- Now mix 1 cup of club soda with a ¼ cup of syrup
- Drink this ale with ice cubes to reduce nausea.
- Mix ½ tsp of ginger juice with 1 tsp of honey and 1 tsp each of fresh mint juice and lemon juice
- You should drink this juice until you feel better
- Or, you can try a ginger pickle or ginger candy or nibble on a small piece of raw ginger to get relief from nausea
- Note: If you are using aspirin, prescribed anticoagulant drugs or other similar medicines, do not apply ginger remedies.
4. Milk Toast
Another popular home remedy for nausea is milk toast. As we know, bland food  such as crackers and bread will help to calm your stomach because they may absorb excess acid while milk may coat your stomach and help increase the calorie level. Here is the way to use milk toast to get rid of nausea.
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 piece of toast
- Unsalted butter
How to make:
- Heat a cup of milk (don’t boil it) and then pour it into a clean bowl
- Apply a little bit of butter to the toast
- Then crumble this toast into the milk
- Now, slowly enjoy it to reduce nausea, you will feel better soon.
Do you know that cinnamon is a soothing herb helping to prevent vomiting and nausea? It is thanks to the catechin, a chemical substance found in this herb. Cinnamon is especially useful for relieving nausea caused by acid reflux, gas, and indigestion . Pregnancy-related vomiting and nausea caused by menstrual cramps may also be treated using cinnamon . Let’s take specific instructions below.
- 1 cup of boiling water
- ½ tsp of cinnamon powder
- Add the cinnamon powder to a cup of boiling water
- Steep it for 2 -3 minutes
- Next, strain to take the tea
- Slowly drink this tea to get rid of nausea
6. Cumin Seeds
Like other home remedies for nausea, cumin may promote proper assimilation of nutrients as well as digestion by preventing the formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract. It also relieves uneasiness in general and nausea in particular .
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 tsp of crushed cumin seeds
- A small amount of nutmeg
- Mix the crushed cumin seeds with a small amount of nutmeg oil in a cup of hot water
- Leave it for 2-3 minutes
- Filter this tea and sip it slowly to remove the uneasy feeling caused by nausea
- Or you can chew 1 tsp of dried cumin seeds to relieve nausea quickly.
Chamomile flower has spasmolytic properties, so it may help relax the intestinal muscles and reduce nausea feeling .
- Hot water
- 2 – 3 tsp of dried chamomile flowers
- Honey or lemon juice
- Add dried chamomile flowers to a cup
- Pour hot water into the cup
- Leave it for a few minutes to infuse
- Next, strain it and add a little honey or lemon juice if you want
- Sip it slowly to get relief from nausea
- Note: If you face ragweed allergies or you are pregnant, keep off this tea because it may lead to some severe health problems.
Like the cinnamon, clove is an excellent nausea-fighting spice. It has soothing and aromatic properties , so it is beneficial in relieving nausea symptoms. It is also used to treat morning sickness and pregnancy-related nausea .
- Add 1 tsp of clove to a glass of boiling water
- Next, you cover it and let it steep for 5 minutes
- Strain it to take the tea and add a little bit of honey for taste if you want
- Drink this tea when nausea attacks
- Alternately, you add a few drops of fresh clove oil on a tissue and inhale the smell. You should take deep breaths until you see the improvement.
- Or, you can chew 1-2 cloves to get relief from nausea quickly.
Aniseed or anise calms your stomach to prevent nausea. Aniseed also aids the digestive system and comprises anethole, a phytoestrogen which may give an immediate stop to nausea symptoms  and protect your body from stomach ulcers .
- ½ cup of boiling water
- ¼ tsp of aniseed
- Firstly, add the aniseed to a cup of boiling water and cover it
- Then, steep for about 5 minutes and strain the tea
- Drink the tea once per day whenever you get the nausea problem. It makes you feel more comfortable.
- Or, you can sprinkle the aniseed on mild vegetables like pumpkin, carrots and so on.
- Another method you can apply is chewing 1 teaspoon of aniseed to get quick relief from nausea.
Another herb helping to treat nausea you should apply is fennel. It is used to prevent the formation of gas in your gastrointestinal tract as well as encourage the expulsion of gas. You can use fennel to alleviate nausea caused by digestion-related conditions like flatulence  and intestinal gas. Moreover, the anesthetic constituents presenting in it may reduce queasiness and menstrual pain during monthly periods . It is known as an excellent remedy for pregnant women if taken in moderation.
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 tbsp of fennel seeds
- 1 tsp of honey or lemon juice (optional)
- Add the crushed fennel seeds to a cup of hot water and steep it for about 10 minutes
- Add the honey or lemon juice for taste
- Drink this tea slowly
- Finally, chew these fennel seeds
- Or you can chew on 1 tsp of fennel seeds to get rid of nausea fast.
11. Vegetable Broth
Vegetable broth contains vitamins A and C and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium , which are vital for the human body to fight against harmful bacteria, including those causing nausea. Drinking this kind of warming beverage is also powerful at improving your overall health .
- Seasoning of your choice (pepper, salt, garlic, etc.)
- Variety of vegetables (mushrooms, celery, tomatoes, onions, corn, carrots, etc.)
- Add all vegetables to a large saucepan
- Pour water into it and put it over high heat to boil
- When the water boils, add the seasoning you like
- Next, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes
- Then you strain out the vegetables and pour the broth in a clean bowl
- Drink this broth for instant energy as well as remove the nausea condition
- Or you can drink chicken broth instead.
12. Cranberry Juice
One of the best home remedies for nausea is cranberry juice which is helpful in providing essential nutrients and excellent taste without sugar punch. It is used to prevent the feeling of nausea  by calming the stomach. It is beneficial when you can eat nothing because it helps to ease the digestive tract and keep the body hydrated.
13. Diet Plan
Paying attention to your diet is also essential to get rid of nausea discomforts. Let’s make a diet plan properly and remove the things which lead to nausea.
- If you suffer from nausea caused by food poisoning or stomach issues, you had better apply the brat diet  standing for bananas, rice, applesauce without sugar, toast. You can add potatoes and pasta to achieve a better result.
- Consume foods that are abundant in fiber and protein  such as fresh vegetables (onions, cabbage, corn, etc.), fresh fruits (grapes, berries, apples, bananas, oranges, etc.) and fish such as sardines and salmon in your daily meal.
- Avoid oily and spicy food, caffeine, alcohol, and dairy products.
14. Cold Compress
Nausea may lead the body temperature to rise; therefore, a cold compress is necessary to stabilize it and lessen dizziness – one of the nausea symptoms. Here are the directions:
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a towel. Then place it across your throat, on the back of your neck, or your forehead for 2-3 minutes. You will feel better soon.
- Or, soak a cotton tissue in cold water. Then wring out the excess water and put it on the forehead, throat or neck for 5 – 10 minutes to reduce the nausea symptoms.
You will feel better within 2-3 hours if you apply the above home remedies for nausea. However, if your symptoms last for a long time (more than 24 hours), you need to see your doctor immediately. If you want to give us further information, please leave your comments below. We will respond as soon as possible. To get more information related to other health problems and effective home remedies, visit our main Home Remedies page.