Morning sickness is one of the most common symptoms that most women experience during their first-trimester pregnancy. Suffering nausea and vomiting especially after getting up in the morning is a typical sign of the symptoms. Fluctuation in hormones with the rising level of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HGC) and estrogen, low blood sugar and a rise in bilirubin levels are widely believed to be the causes of morning sickness. The level of hormones can vary according to the genetic and cultural influences. Morning sickness makes the pregnant women uncomfortable and unpleasant or even can be dangerous to the growing fetus if some go through the lengthy period. Today’s article, Effective Remedies will show you top 24 simple, natural but effective home remedies for morning sickness that moms swear by.
24 Best Natural Home Remedies For Morning Sickness Moms Swear By
1. Foods To Avoid That Trigger Morning Sickness More Seriously
A lack of appetite or even loss of cravings for food is typical of the expectant mothers during their first three-month pregnancy. This generally accepted explanation for this is the body’s ability to prevent the embryo from exposure to potentially toxic food substances. Therefore, it is not appropriate for you to compel yourself eat unfavorable foods whether they are highly recommended by doctors and nutritionist. Rather than, your choice of healthy foods that agree with you is beneficial.
Also, it is important that pregnant women should pay attention to some sort of food that is proved to be detrimental to their health and the development of the fetus whichever foods they prefer. It includes:
- Foods that contain alcohol and caffeinated drinks: Avoid using them not only throughout the early period but during pregnancy because they have detrimental effects on the embryo
- Foods that are high in fat particularly hydrogenated fats and trans fat: People are keen on fried food but this food is proved to be bad for our digestion
- Packed foods: These high-sodium can cause a lot of problems for the mother for example dizziness
- Strong-smelling vegetables: They enhance vomiting and nausea, so keep away from them for some weeks
- Low-quality food: They contain pathogens and parasites leading to growing bacteria
2. Choose Sort Of Foods That Help Reduce Morning Sickness
Women of childbearing age are more likely to suffer a lot of illnesses and have a weak immune system. It is wise to select the foods that alleviate vomiting and also supply a large number of essential nutrients for your body
Here is a list of healthy foods that can lessen your morning sickness:
- Organic products: These protein-rich foods provide magnesium and potassium
- Vegetarian products: They plays an indispensable part in supplying antioxidants and fiber
- Ginger: Traditionally, gingers are used as a remedy to cure nausea due to their ingredient gingerol
- Starchy foods: It is a source of beta-carotene because they contain much carbohydrates and low fat and salt
- Fresh Fruit: Fruits like kiwis, barriers and melons are rich in vitamin, water and fiber
- Health fats: Seeds and coconut oil are sources of essential fats
- Soups: They are involved in creating collagens and electrolytes for human body
- Healthy fats: Avocado, seeds and coconut oil are essential fats for the body
3. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Drink Herbal Tea
Starting your day with a cup of herbal tea is enjoyable and also can be an at-home effective treatment for this symptom. Here are 3 kinds of herbal tea and their recipe for you to follow:
- Ginger tea: Prepare with about 30-40 grams dried ginger root that are always available in your store and boiled water. First, pour the water into the teapot that has already had ginger slices. Simmer for about 20 minutes and then, strain the tea and relish it
- Lemon balm and peppermint tea: Keep in mind that unless you have heartburn, you can have mixture of them. And for each teapot, use 1-2 teaspoon of herb
- Tea made with red raspberry leaves: Follow the same recipe as the second 2. However, some research indicates that this leaf can trigger uterine contraction. Only when you are given doctor’s permission, you use it
4. Stay Hydrated
Not many people know the enormous outcome of drinking a lot of water in improve the morning sickness symptom. Bringing bottles of water with you anytime and drinking a glass every hour can help your starting of a new day more enjoyable. Consuming enough water also makes urine virtually clear.
It would be better if you use low-sugar drinks instead of beverages or beer. Sometimes, you can put some mint, lemon slices or basil to make your water more special and delicious
5. Boost Vitamins
Some scientific evidence shows that taking 25 mg vitamin B6 three times a day can help lower morning sickness . It keeps hormone balance and controls the levels of the hormone cortisol which has influence on blood sugar. If the blood sugar in your pregnant woman is low, it is likely to make symptom of nausea worse. These women can add vitamin B6 through supplements such as Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate (P5P) or foods like beef, chicken, pork, tuna, bell peppers, green peas, spinach, broccoli, turnip greens, sunflower seeds, and hazelnuts
Vitamin B12 can contribute to reduced fatigue and easy digestion. Salmon, beef, lamb, , scallops,shrimp, or yogurt are these rich-in-vitamin 12 foods.
6. Get Plenty Of Rest
Having a good sleep to meet body’s basic need is the best solution to escape the morning sickness symptom. Make sure that you get enough sleep during a day because it tiredness and stress instigates morning sickness. Try to relax, take deep breaths and get plenty of rest
7. Don’t Skip Breakfast
After waking up in the morning, find bland foods such as chicken soup, broth, toast and plain baked potato rather than something with having strong or interesting taste. Eat some of them slowly before getting out of the bed
8. Eat Little But Often
It means that you divide your diet into plenty of smaller meals during the day instead of three big meals as normal. Changing eating patterns with frequent meals help to keep your stomach from being empty because the feeling of hunger results in a sense of nausea. Trying to maintain a habit of having 5-6 meals throughout the day with small proportions would the best choice.
9. Keep A Morning Sickness Diary
Keeping track of how your situation is changing is necessary. Thanks to keep writing on a daily basis, you can calculate when your morning sickness reaches its peak and you can savor your foods without worry. In some case, after that, doctor will help you improve your condition better by examining your diary
10. Do Exercises
Building a daily routine with some physical activity during the early pregnancy is important. Doing yoga, go swimming, go walking or go cycling for 30 minutes per day can helps you relieve stress, control your hormone levels, think in a positive way, feel awake in the morning a, ease digestive pains and improve your carvings. As a result, getting involved in physical activities can help reduced sickness morning and beneficial to the mothers in many ways
11. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Acupuncture & Acupressure
The traditional remedies have been used for thousands of year and considered as the most effective way of dealing with nausea and vomiting. Acupuncture uses special thin needles to push through the body to hit some nerves. The alternative helps the women calmer and control pain. Acupressure refers to that using fingers to push some points on the body is to relieve stress and nausea . You have to find the pressure points on your boy and practice it by putting pressure on your inner wrist, collar bone, or thumbs at home.
12. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Try Aromatherapy
By using natural oils, aromatherapy is a remedy for psychological and physical enhancement. It is also helpful for improving digestion and strengthening the immune systems.
13. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Use Probiotics
According to some studies, probiotics can helps to have a strong immune system and make digestion better because it hinders problems related to undigested foods that get stuck in gastrointestinal tract and lead to nausea. Probiotics, found in some foods such as yogurt, sauerkraut, kefir or kimchi and in supplements, protects your gut and reduced inflammation. Approximately 80% of our immune system is in the gut, so the key to have a sense of well-being is to support the gut.
14. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Use Bentonite Clay
The solution to morning sickness has been applied for some centuries by African women. It reduces the bad bacteria and increases good bacteria and probiotics in the gut. In addition, it helps with well-functional digestion system and thus alleviates morning sickness.
15. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Curry Leaves
The juice extracted from a handful of fresh curry leaves, when mixed with lemon juice and sugar, is one of the Ayurvedic home remedies for morning sickness.
- Firstly, press a handful of curry leaves on one sieve to extract its juice.
- Then, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey and mix them well.
- Finally, drink this mixture 2 or 3 times per day.
16. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Cheese
During pregnancy, you should eat lots of protein because it can help to regulate your blood glucose levels. The protein-rich foods also help to reduce the symptoms of nausea and vomiting caused due to morning sickness, particularly when you’re craving for carbohydrates.
Cheese is one of the great choices if you feel like that you can vomit from eating something. You may try eating cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, or cottage cheese.
Or, you can also make a cheese salad along with fruits and vegetables and enjoy it for your lunch or dinner. You can also have cheese or some other high-protein snacks before going to sleep.
17. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Fennel Seeds
The aromatic fennel seeds can be used to calm your stomach and give quick relief from morning sickness. In addition, the anesthetic components in fennel seeds aid in fighting nausea.
- Chew on 1 tsp. of fennel seeds after each meal to aid in the digestion process.
- Or, you can try fennel tea. Add 1 tsp. of the crushed fennel seeds to 1 cup of boiling water. Then, steep it for some minutes before straining. Now, add some drops of lemon juice and 1 tsp. of honey to the tea before sipping it.
18. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Peppermint
Peppermint contains an anesthetic property that can help to calm the stomach and reduce nausea.
- Firstly, make peppermint tea by adding 1 tbsp. of peppermint leaves to a cup of boiling water. Then, steep it for 10 minutes and strain it. If desired, add sugar or honey to it. Drink this tea slowly.
- Or, you can add some drops of peppermint oil to a cloth and then inhale the smell. Or, sucking on peppermint candies is very effective.
19. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Bael Juice
Bael juice can help to relieve morning sickness effectively while it aids in better digestion and prevents constipation.
- Firstly, extract the juice of a bael fruit and then add 2 to 4 tbsp. of it to a bowl of cooked rice.
- Then, eat this once a day for mild symptoms or 3 times per day for a severe condition.
20. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Cloves
The clove sticks are packed with antiseptic and anesthetic properties, which are good for digestion and treat vomiting and nausea.
- Just chew 2 or 3 cloves after meals or prepare a tea with 4 cloves and then sip it.
- Or, prepare a mixture of honey and roasted clove powder and consume it regularly to keep nausea at bay and improve your digestion.
21. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Cumin
Cumin is one of the great home remedies for morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Just add 1/2 tbsp. of cumin seed powder to 1 glass of warm water. Then, sip the tea.
- Or, you can boil 1 liter of water and then add a small pinch of nutmeg and 1 tbsp. of cumin seeds to it. Let the mixture steep for 5 minutes. Then, strain and drink the tea when required for a quick relief.
- Alternatively, combine 1/2 tsp. of cumin seed powder and 1/4 tsp. of cardamom powder. Then, add honey to it and sip it slowly for reducing morning sickness.
22. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Potato Chips
In fact, potato chips are the favorite snack of many people. If you are the same, you can also use this snack to treat morning sickness. In a point of fact, eating potato chips helps to reduce the feeling of vomiting because this snack helps your stomach calm. Moreover, when you experience morning sickness, the saliva is often over-produced, which leads you to the condition of nausea. Also, the salt in potato chips makes the saliva dry.
- Simply, consume some potato chips every day.
23. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Red Raspberry
Red raspberry is also listed in the home remedies for morning sickness during pregnancy. It is also beneficial for soothing the muscles of your uterus, which facilitates your body to be ready to give a baby. Furthermore, consuming the red raspberry tea can aid in improving the blood circulation and strengthening the immune system of pregnant women, which are beneficial for combating any diseases during the pregnancy time.
- Firstly, take 1 tsp. of the dried red raspberry leaves and then add them to a pot.
- Now, pour a cup of clean water into the pot.
- After that, boil the pot for 10-12 minutes and then strain the mixture.
- Finally, consume the tea slowly to get rid of the feeling of nausea quickly.
24. Home Remedies For Morning Sickness – Apple Cider Vinegar
The pH level of apple cider vinegar is neutral, so it can help to neutralize the gastric acid present in your stomach.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of honey with 1 tbsp. of the apple cider vinegar in a cup of cold water and then have it before bedtime.
- Add 2 or 3 tsp. of the apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water and then have it in the early morning as the first thing.
- Mix 1 tsp. of the apple cider vinegar in 1/2 cup of water and then use this solution as mouthwash after vomiting. It helps to freshen up your breath because the uncomfortable smell of vomit may make you nauseous.
A balanced diet, relaxation, vitamin intake, small and frequent meals, kinds of fresh foods, herbal tea, traditional treatments, and exercises are the key factors to escape the symptom of vomiting and nausea. Applying some of these natural home remedies for morning sickness that moms swear by will help you to ease your worry about this issue at the first period of pregnancy. Visit our Home Remedies page to find out more about some valuable remedies for common health problems.