Possessing beautiful and white skin seems to be a desire for most people. However, due to some reasons, your skin has to endure scars, which is one of the most popular beauty concerns. It not only affects your skin health but also loses your confidence on some occasions. Scar tissues appear to replace the normal skin above the damaged layer of skin. The reasons for scar tissue can include burns, acne, cuts, fungal infection, scrapes, bites, surgery, etc. Scar tissue looks the same with healthy skin, but in fact, the structure of the fibers is different. It does not cause pain, but really affects your appearance. So now, the big question for us is what natural remedies for scar removal are. To get rid of scars, you can use a dozen of medical treatments, but there are natural treatments that you can apply to mitigate scar tissue without side effects. If you are bearing scars, you should consider reading this article. We are going to show you the top 20 science-backed natural home remedies for scars removal on legs and other body parts. Hopefully, after taking the following remedies, your scars will fade away, and your skin will become lighter. However, remember that the result will vary among people depending on the depth of scars and its severity, so be conscious to choose the best treatment for your skin. Scars, on its own, also will fade away naturally after a period of time. Besides, there is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
- Top 35 tips to remove acne scars from face
- 8 best tips of makeup for acne prone skin and scars
- Top 20 proven remedies for burns on skin
- Top 14 time-tested home remedies for boils (This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Sarah Brewer MSc , MA (Cantab), MB, BChir, RNutr, MBANT, CNHC)
Top 20 Science-Backed Natural Home Remedies For Scars Removal On Legs & Other Body Parts
1. Extract Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is the kind of herb with so many functionalities when applied to hair, skin, and critical health problems. In treating scars, it is also used widely by so many people. It is believed to regenerate skin tissue, reduce the scar’s size, and prevent scar formation. Besides, it contains moisturizing and soothing compounds, so it can help mitigate inflammation and raise the skin elasticity. It also helps to remove dead skin fast with anti-inflammatory property, mitigate swelling, help to fix damaged skin, and enhance the growth of new skin. A study found that the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties present in aloe vera have the ability to improve the healing procedure of injured skin and promote healthy skin. Besides, the topical application of aloe vera may be helpful in healing cutaneous wounds.
- Cut the aloe vera into half and crush it to extract its gel.
- Use the gel to apply directly to the scar area and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Let it dry naturally and rinse it off with tepid water.
- Repeat this process daily for 1-2 months.
Lemon is among the best natural home remedies for scars removal. As you may know, loaded in lemon is alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA), which is extracted to remove dead skin tissue, at the same time, regenerate and reduce damaged skin, fortify new skin, and provide elasticity to the skin. Besides, it is considered a bleacher and is also rich in vitamin C that may help to lighten blemishes and scars.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Wash the scar and surrounding area thoroughly.
- Let dip a cotton ball in a teaspoon of lime.
- Apply the cotton ball treated with lime directly to the scarred area.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes before rinsing off with fresh water.
Note: Using lemon juice may make your skin more sensitive, so be sure to take on sunscreen when you have to go out while still being treated with it. Besides, lemon is also an effective method for lightening the dark inner thighs.
Fenugreek contains powerful antioxidants, which yield remarkable benefits in combating liver and pancreas conditions and treat skin disorders altogether. Using fenugreek is a simple way to eliminate scars. A study showed that fenugreek was used widely as a poultice to fight off gout, tumors, inflamed glands, scars, wounds, and various skin inflammations. It additionally may help enhance wound healing thanks to its therapeutic and nutritional effects.
Mix some ground fenugreek seeds with water to make a paste, and then apply it to your scars as a mask. After a long time, you will see the positive result on your scars.
You can boil the fenugreek seeds with water, and then use a blender to get them blended well. After that, you will get a paste and apply it to your affected skin as it is cooled down. Leave the paste there for a short time, when you are done, take it off, and rinse it off with water. Reapply this method as much as necessary if you want to remove scars completely.
4. Raw Honey
Honey is extremely a magical treatment in a ton of natural home remedies for scars removal. It is widely used to fade the scars away because it possesses natural ability such as fast moisturizing, infection healing, therefore, it is not strange when raw honey is used to treat wounds, stimulate regeneration of damaged skin, and prevent excessive scarring. According to a study, honey acts as a moisturizer so that it may help to fade dead cells and enhance the regeneration of skin tissue. Also, it can help to reduce the growth of excess collagen and dead skin accumulation.
- Before using this remedy, you need to clean the scarred area thoroughly.
- Take some raw honey with a clean tool and apply it to the affected area.
- Massage the area gently for 10 minutes.
- Let it sit for 1 hour and rinse the honey off with fresh water.
- Reapply this process 2 times per day for several weeks until you see your scars fade away.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of raw honey.
- Stir it well and use the paste to apply to your scarred area.
- Massage the area gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Place a clean washcloth over the treated area.
- Wait till the washcloth becomes cool and wipe the affected area with it.
- Reapply this process for 3-4 times per week for some months to see the best results.
5. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar comes with acetic and lactic acids . These acids are used in chemical peels to get rid of acne scars. With its great functionality, apple cider vinegar is commonly used as a potent treatment for scars. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar helps to exfoliate the affected skin and eliminate dead skin, thereby getting back the light appearance for your skin in a short time. Apart from that, it can remain the skin pH level, which is useful for the texture of the skin. As a result, it improves skin cell growths and lightens the scar.
- Prepare a clean cotton ball dipped into the apple cider vinegar.
- Apply it directly to your affected skin.
- Leave it there for 5-10 minutes and rinse it off with water.
- Apply some moisturizing lotion to it.
- Reapply this process several times a day for several weeks.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water with the ratio 1:2 to make a solution.
- Apply this solution to your scarred skin after cleansing your face and before going to bed.
- Apply moisturizer to your skin.
Note: If your skin is sensitive with strong apple cider vinegar, dilute it with water before applying it to your skin.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is well known for its high content of vitamin K and E, which are very effective in combating with the scar and making it fade away entirely. Along with that, vitamin E with an antioxidant agent in coconut oil can improve the healing procedure and inhibit any new scar. A study found that the capric, caprylic, and lauric acids from this oil may promote collagen production. Lauric acids may help reduce Propionibacterium acnes bacteria in certain forms of inflammatory acne.
- Take a few drops of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix them well.
- Apply directly to your scar. For small scars, use less coconut oil.
- Massage the affected area gently for 5 minutes so that the oil immerses deep into your skin.
- Leave the oil on scarred skin for 10 minutes and use a clean cloth to wipe the oil off
- Reapply the process if needed.
7. Cocoa Butter
Butter is also popularly used to treat scar tissue because it contains a moisturizing agent that can moisturize your dry skin caused by scars. It can get deep into your skin layers and remove harmful germs that cause your scars while supplying elasticity to your loosening skin. Furthermore, it is enriched with a high content of vitamin E, and you will not disappoint when applying cocoa butter to your scar for sure.
- Use a wet washcloth to rub on the affected skin and dab it dry with a clean towel.
- Take 1 spoonful of pure cocoa butter to apply to the affected skin and press on it in a circular motion.
- Reapply this process 3 times per day for a couple of weeks until you see a better change on your scars.
8. Lavender Oil
Another kind of oil included in the most effective natural home remedies for scars is lavender oil. Lavender oil contains a high level of skin cell rejuvenating compounds, which are very useful to defeat keloid scar and scar tissue and stimulate damaged skin restoration. Moreover, lavender oil is responsible for promoting the turnover rate of skin cells, at the same time, fading the scar to avoid permanent scars. Besides, it has been shown in many studies to stimulate healing of burns and wounds .
Take some drops of lavender oil to apply directly to the scars and then use your fingers to massage the scarred area in a circular motion for 10-15 minutes so that the oil can immerse deep into your affected skin.
Combine lavender oil and olive oil in an equal amount. Apply this solution to your affected area and massage gently for a few minutes.
You should apply either of the above methods 2 times per day for a few weeks to see an improvement on your skin.
9. Olive Oil
If you are wondering about whether such natural home remedies for scars are efficient enough to treat stubborn scars, then olive oil will prove that the statement is completely true. It is said to take a positive effect on your damaged skin, making it heal faster and bringing about lighter skin. After a long time using olive oil, the function of moisturizer will help your skin hydrated, and then your scars will be removed partially.
With olive oil, you just need to take a few drops of olive oil and apply it directly to your affected skin for several days until you see the positive result.
10. Rosehip Seed Oil
Rosehip seed oil is believed by most women as a perfect tool for cosmetics and makeup, especially scars removal and damaged skin healing. With a high content of anti-inflammatory found in rosehip seed oil, it can work the best when treating scars. It further works great on enhancing post-surgical scars. It is also loaded with linoleic acid, which may help decrease hyperpigmentation in certain scars.
Follow the guide if you want to get rid of scars soon
- Take some drops of rosehip seed oil and use your fingers to apply the oil to your scarred skin on a circular motion. Reapply this method twice daily for several weeks.
- Be careful if your skin is too sensitive to use this kind of oil.
11. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is commonly used in many daily activities, including skin care. Tea tree oil comes with a high number of skin-healing and scar-removing compounds, which may help eliminate scars in a short time. Apart from that, the oil composes of the anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties  that are significantly effective against scars and blemishes. It also helps the skin heal faster and control the skin condition more efficiently.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil or almond oil with 2 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this solution to the scarred area and let it sit for a few hours.
- Rinse it off.
- Repeat this process once per day for several weeks.
- Put 2-3 drops of tea tree oil in a ½ cup of tepid water.
- Use this mixture to apply to the scarred area 2 times each day for a few weeks.
You can even make soap from tea tree oil to wash your scars every day.
Note: Tea tree oil is a bit strong, so make sure to dilute it with water before using to avoid the unexpected reaction.
12. Cod Liver Oil
The next oil that is helpful enough to struggle with scars and wounds is cod liver oil . It contains a large number of beneficial properties that can restructure the gems on the skin, bringing back its elasticity and light color. When it is applied to burned skin, it will bring about a radiant and glowing skin for you. It also can make the darker complexion become improved. Besides, it can reduce wrinkles and provide moisture to your dry skin, making your skin strong and healthy.
You wash the scarred area thoroughly, and then take some drops of cod liver oil to apply to your scars several times to make them invisible in a short time.
13. Extract Garlic Oil
The benefits of garlic may be endless. It may be beneficial for healing numerous skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis, acne, stretch marks, fungal infections, psoriasis, wrinkles, scars, and other signs of aging . In treating scars, garlic is also used widely because it contains a high content of antibiotic that is very beneficial for skin. Taking use of garlic oil on a regular basis will bring about a whiter skin with faded scars as you expected.
- Prepare some garlic oil by extracting it from some garlic cloves.
- Take some drops of garlic oil on hands to apply directly to your scars.
- Let the oil sit there for 15 minutes before washing it off.
14. Onion Extract
Onion has a great anti-inflammatory property that can limit the growth of collagen in the scar, so after using it, your scar will be less noticeable . A study showed that onion extract applied every day to a scar aided in reducing inflammation and discoloration. Follow the steps below:
- Extract onion gel and use it to rub on your scars.
- This may take you a few months to get a good result from it.
15. Neem Leaves
Neem, also called Azadirachta Indica, is a good treatment for scars. Neem leaves have the properties such as astringent, antibacterial, aesthetic, antifungal, and antiviral abilities, which make them effective in treating most diseases and skin infections, acne, skin rashes, allergies, itch, pimples, scars, wounds, and inflammations .
For this treatment, take some Azadirachta Indica leaves to make a paste. Apply this paste to your scars for several times. Or you can make a face pack from it. By doing so, your scars will be removed, and your skin’s problems such as acne are also improved. Because neem leaves contain a great number of antifungal and antibacterial compounds so that it will work best on your scarred skin.
16. Almonds Seeds Or Oil
Loaded in almonds is a high level of vitamin E, which is very helpful for skin. Moreover, it is abundant in beneficial properties that can struggle with popular skin problems, such as acne, scar lines, pimples, scars, etc. Not just filled with vitamin E, almond also acts as an anti-aging agent, which can prevent your skin from getting wrinkly. Moreover, almond oil has the ability to decrease scarring occurring with surgery.
- Take 2-3 almonds and let them soak in water all night.
- In the next morning, peel the skin off from almonds and smash them to get its extract.
- Put some drops of rosewater in almonds and apply this mixture to your scarred area.
17. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is also among the best natural home remedies for scars removal as it can speed up the healing process of scars if it is applied to scars on the right way  . You can take creams and ointments that contain vitamin E to fight with scars caused by wounds, acne, and surgery. A study has proven that people with surgical scars, after applying vitamin E, improved the skin situation in a short time. For this treatment, apply vitamin E cream directly to the affected scar. Reapply this method several times a week to see the skin healing. You can also supplement vitamin E on your daily diet by eating vitamin E-rich foods such as green vegetables, nuts, seeds, cereal, and more.
Cucumber is not just an effective coolant for people but also one of the best natural home remedies for scars. As you may know, to deal with skin problems or just simply cool off your face skin, the women usually apply cucumber slices or use products made from cucumber. It is a good and safe way to bring about white, soft, supple, and bright skin . Cucumber has low content of acidic, so you will not be worried about its causing your skin irritation. To deal with scars, besides applying cucumber slices on your scar, the next excellent choice for you is making a paste from the cucumber.
- Prepare some cucumbers, get them peeled off, and have its seeds removed.
- Use a blender to blend the rest flesh of cucumber with 4-5 mint leaves.
- Beat an egg to get its white and add the white to the mixture.
- Apply this paste to your scar and let it sit there for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with fresh water and dry the area with a clean towel.
- Repeat this process several times to see the better situation on your skin.
19. Gotu Kola
Gotu Kola is widely used for skin infection removals such as wounds and scars . A study pointed out that gotu kola is effective in treating wounds, infected wounds, burns, and postoperative hypertrophic scar. When applying Gotu kola, your blood flow to the wound will be raised to mitigate the growth of scar tissue and raise the skin elasticity. It further contains steroid-like compounds that can take control of scar tissue. Besides, the triterpenes in it can enhance the integrity of the collagen matrix and promote the function as a glue to hold your skin cells together. Besides, in this kind of leaves, there are antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties; therefore, you will not be disappointed when using it for your scars.
- Prepare some Gotu Kola leaves and make a paste from them.
- Apply it directly to your scarred area.
- By doing so, your scar will be faded, and the healing process on the skin will be promoted. The blood circulation is also improved.
20. Fish Oil
When talking about the best natural home remedies for scars, we can not forget fish oil. For years, it is used by so many people for healing, fading the scars, and bringing back the light skin. It is rich with eicosapentaenoic acid and omega-3 fatty acids, so fish oil is an effective remedy to get rid of scar tissue. It can be taken in the form of the soft capsule, and you just need to puncture it to get its gel to apply to your scar. Fish oil can also be combined with vitamin E soft gel tablets to make a great treatment for scars.
- Prepare your own fish oil ointment with clean surroundings and a mirror set in front of you to see the scar reflection.
- Use a safety pin to puncture in a fish oil tablet, and then take its oil in a bowl. Squeeze it hard to get all of the oil
- Take off the vitamin E skin and do the same way, then put vitamin E oil on the fish oil.
- Shake the bowl to let oil mix well.
- Done! Now you have a great treatment for scars.
- If you do this regularly, it is sure that the healing process of your scars will be fortified at ease.
Hopefully, you can select for yourself the best remedy the treatment of scars. Moreover, you should carry out some activities such as massage or exfoliating to let your skin more elastic, making scars treated faster. In the end, you should remember that, do not pull the scar tissue off because it may hurt you. If you have any questions or know other home remedies for scars removal, leave them in the comment box. All content provided are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.