Diseases relating to skin deterioration always cause irritation and embarrassment to people who have to suffer from them. One of the typical skin problems that most of the adults easily get is warts. Warts are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). Warts can be found in hands, soles of the feet, or on the surface of the skin where it has to be exposed to intensive impacts. Factors that can raise the risk of developing warts include working with meat, use of public showers, a weak immune system, and eczema. People can be met with common warts (Verruca vulgaris), mole warts, filiform warts, plantar warts (Verruca plantaris, verruca), or genital warts (Condyloma acuminatum, venereal wart), which are popular kinds of warts causing so much trouble to people. It is undeniable that warts make people feel very uncomfortable, unconfident, and raging. If you are one of the patients sustaining this bothersome problem, follow the natural home solutions revealed in this article. We will show you the best natural home remedies for warts on hands, feet, and other body parts without any side effects.
However, before applying any of these home remedies, remember to make sure that what your skin is suffering from is warts. Because most warts will disappear on their own after a period of time, you need to wait for whether the disease mitigates or not; otherwise, if you are sure that they are warts, then you can apply these methods without any hesitation.
Top 27 Natural Home Remedies For Warts On Hands, Feet & Other Parts
1. Extract Lemon Juice
Lemon is one of the most excellent natural home remedies for warts removal. Lemon juice is enriched with citric acid that may help to destroy the virus causing warts. It will make your warts disappear after a few weeks of using it.
- Cut a lemon in half and slice them off into triangle wedges.
- Hold a wedge over a cotton ball and squash it until the extract from it humidifies the cotton ball.
- Use the soaked cotton ball to tap on a wart without rinsing the juice off.
- You can use a spoonful of chopped raw onions to cover warts. By doing this, the onions can boost the effectiveness of lemon juice treatment.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
Garlic is loaded with antibacterial and antifungal properties that may help combat warts . During the time of warts, you can apply crushed garlic to warts or eat garlic to prevent viruses causing warts.
Follow these tips for high effectiveness:
- Crush the garlic that you have.
- Use crushed garlic to apply to the wart and cover it with a bandage.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes and wash the area thoroughly
- Repeat this method twice a day for about one week.
- You can also use garlic capsules three times a day for similar results.
3. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a kind of natural herb with so many advantages; therefore, when applying it, you don’t have to worry about its undesirable chemical effects. Witch hazel can help eliminate the growth of warts by cutting off the blood supply to the tissues. Besides, it may be useful for combating HPV type 16, which causes genital warts.
- You can consider using condensed witch hazel in forms of gel or cream. But it’s suggested to use a liquid form of witch hazel.
- Apply this witch hazel solution to your warts.
- After 10 minutes, you wipe off the excessive solution by a dry cloth
- Repeat this procedure twice daily for 1-2 weeks until you get warts gone.
4. Aloe Vera
Because of its pain-free nature, aloe vera is used to treat not only warts but also many other kinds of diseases such as diabetes or psoriasis . Some recent studies indicate that aloe vera gel can combat the viruses together with other microbes. Aloe vera extract may help to destroy the HSV-1 type virus.
- Take a leaf and cut the tip.
- Let the juice drain and freeze them until you get a solution in the form of the gel.
- Take some aloe vera gel to rub on your warts area several times a day.
- Before going to sleep, remember to apply a large amount of aloe vera gel to your warts and then cover them with a bandage.
- Repeat this process for 2-3 weeks until you get your warts removed.
5. Olive Leaf Extract & Tea
Olive leaf extract is one of the most popular home remedies for warts on hands, feet, and others. According to a research, the olive leaf contains a powerful antiviral component, which may inhibit viral action in the infected body. This component is believed to interfere with the production of amino acid for viruses to stop viral infection. As olive leaf can directly get through the infected cells to stop the viral spread, it can remove warts efficiently. You can boost your immune system by taking 250mg to 500mg of olive leaf extract three times a day. You can also make olive leaf tea and drink it to benefit entirely from it.
- To make olive leaf extract, you have to take dried olive leaves from the herbal store. Or you can dry olive leaves on your own by oven drying them below 150°F. When you get dried leaves, crush them, remove the stalks, and put them into paper packs.
- Take one teaspoon of dried olive leaves and add a cup of hot water to it.
- Steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain it and take this tea 2-3 times a day.
Note: Pregnant and nursing mothers should avoid taking olive leaf extract. Plus, consult your doctor before using it since it can create an undesirable reaction to medications.
6. Banana Peels
Everyone has to admit that using banana peels is one of the best home remedies for warts removal. Banana peels contain a proteolytic enzyme, which can soften and dissolve warts away. Moreover, it contains antimicrobial properties. It is also beneficial for moisturizing and hydrating the skin around warts.
- Before hitting the bed, cut a piece from the banana peel and scrape the whitish inferior of the peel on your warts.
- Wrap and secure the peel with your warts by a bandage or tape.
- Leave it overnight, and the next morning, remove it.
- Repeat the method daily at night for 2 weeks until your warts discolor and fall off your skin.
Honey, especially Manuka honey, is one of the potential home remedies for warts. This is because Manuka honey contains antibacterial properties and antiviral enzymes, which have a positive impact on your skin. Also, it creates a kind of “occlusion therapy”, which is vital to deprive the wart of oxygen and kill it. It produces a resin-like substance known as propolis, which is made of plant substances, pollen, beeswax, and bee enzymes. Propolis comes with antimicrobial properties and stimulates skin cell production. It is used to treat wounds, acne, as well as the herpes simplex virus.
- You wash your warts area carefully, cover the affected area with a thick layer of Manuka honey, and wrap it with a cloth.
- Leave it for about 24 hours. Then change the bandages and honey daily. Wait till all warts go away.
8. Milkweed Sap
There are many types of weeds found to take effect on warts, including milkweed, dandelion, chicory, or wild lettuce. Among them, milkweed is an excellent solution for warts removal because it is very safe and convenient. It mitigates the damage on skin caused by warts. Because it contains a proteolytic enzyme, the sap is applied widely among patients of warts.
- Get your wart exposed a little bit by sloughing off a bit on the top layer.
- Take some stem of the milkweed plant.
- Cut it or squeeze it to get enough milky sap.
- Apply a relative amount of milky sap on your affected area.
- You leave it there and reapply once or twice a day to get rid of warts.
- If your skin is sensitive, you’d better steer clear of the milkweed.
Note: Weed can be poison due to its cardiac glycoside, so you need to keep it out of the reach of kids and do not put it on your eyes.
9. Hot Water
Hot water is beneficial for getting rid of warts. By using hot water several times, you not only have soft, strong skin but also have your warts weakened relatively.
For this treatment, soak your warts in hot water. You also can add some white vinegar or Epsom salt to get a better result. Just be careful and smooth in order not to hurt your warts. Before applying this method, you need to slough warts a little bit and make sure that your water is not too hot before applying it to your warts.
10. Pineapple Juice
Pineapple consists of a high level of acidity and a beneficial enzyme called bromelain, which is medically used to treat skin diseases such as acne, eczema or psoriasis . Bromelain is a mixture of several enzymes, which may dissolve the HPV virus, causing warts. This fruit also helps to prevent the scars on the skin after warts are gone.
- Take a fresh pineapple and squeeze it to get the juice.
- Soak your warts directly to the pineapple juice, or you can soak a swab with pineapple juice. Dab the swab on the affected area.
- Wait for about 10 minutes. You can use a tape or bandage to keep it secure.
- After 10 minutes, you wash away the juice.
- Do this method several times a week.
Because basil leaves contain antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, using basil will help to speed up the process of eliminating warts. Moreover, it can help to fasten the process of recovering your damaged skin.
- Take some fresh basil leaves.
- Crush them gently until they get juicy and mushy enough.
- You rub the leaves to warts and cover it with a bandage.
- Reapply this action daily or twice a day for 1-2 weeks.
The potato was used a long time ago to treat warts, especially genital warts. It contains many nutrients, such as vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants that can be used to remove warts naturally. The enzymes in it also help to remove warts effectively. The acids found in the potato juice may help dehydrate and destroy the virus causing warts.
- You can take 1-2 potatoes and cut them into thick slices. Then you rub these slices on your warts. Do this several times a day at least twice a week. Repeat this procedure for two weeks to let the potatoes take effect on warts.
- You can also use potato peel to apply directly to your warts. Be sure the peel is large enough to cover the affected area and secure it with a bandage or tape. Follow this every night and the next morning, remove the old potato peel. You will see the natural acid found in the potato will sweep away warts quickly.
13. Thuja Herb
There are two types of Thuja herbs; one of them is Thuja occidentalis, which is commonly used as one of the traditional home remedies for warts removal. It is also used by the Homeopathic medicine stream. It modulates the immune system to the extent that these warts shed thanks to the antiviral properties. Since the 19th century, Thuja has been used to make ointment and tincture to apply for the treatment of ringworm, thrush, and warts.
- Apply a little Thuja oil to your affected area at least 3 times a day.
- This may take you from 2 weeks to 3 months to get rid of genital warts.
- Male can also combine Thuja oil with other substances such as olive oil or castor oil to apply directly to your warts to maximize the effectiveness.
- Women can blend Thuja oil with fresh Thuja leaves to make a tincture and apply this solution to genital warts directly.
14. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit is widely known as a healthy immune booster due to its beneficial contents. Grapefruit seed extract consists of potent antioxidants granted by its vitamin E and vitamin C. It also contains strong antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, which are very helpful in treating warts.
- You put a drop of grapefruit seed extract on your wart.
- In case your wart is so small, use a toothpick to apply a drop of this extract to it.
- Use a bandage or medical tape.
- Repeat these steps twice a day for 2 weeks
- After 2 weeks, your warts will get white and fall off your skin.
Dandelion is loaded with potent phytochemicals, which can help remove warts. The milky sap found on dandelion leaves, stem or roots can be applied externally to warts to weaken operation of a virus and harmful bacteria. In the milky sap, it contains so many properties, which can help to reduce the effect of warts; therefore, it is also used by so many people with warts. According to a 2011 animal study, the dandelion extract may help to support collagen production, soothe irritation, and reduce skin inflammation. Besides, a 2012 study noted that dandelions contain antimicrobial properties. These properties may be effective at fighting warts.
- Take a stem, root, or leaf of the dandelion herb.
- Break or bend it to extract the milky sap.
- After you get the sap, apply this sap to your warts.
- Do this treatment three times a day for 1-2 weeks for best effects.
16. Fig Leaf
Fig leaf can be used as a simple treatment for your warts without causing pain or burning. People find out the ficin enzyme in the milky sap of a fig leaf, which may help irritate and delete your warts completely.
- Take a fig leaf on your hand.
- Break or cut it to get the milky sap.
- Dab a little of this sap on your warts and leave it there without doing anything more.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times daily for 2 weeks.
- If this remedy works for you, your warts will be removed thoroughly in 2 weeks.
17. Willow Tree Bark
The salicylic acid is among commonly used home remedies for warts removal due to its safety and effectiveness. You can find out salicylic acid on the willow tree bark which can deal with many common diseases such as acne or muscular pain because it contains anti-inflammatory properties. Willow tree bark, therefore, is also believed to remove warts thoroughly.
- Take a small piece of willow tree bark.
- Moisturize the bark with a little water. The bark will get an elastic form.
- Place this moist willow tree bark on your warts.
- You secure the area with a bandage or tape.
- Leave it for the day
- Remember to change the bark every day in 1-2 weeks to get rid of warts.
Another way to use salicylic acid is:
- After you take a bath, pat your skin with a towel to dry it but be sure it is damp enough to apply the salicylic acid. Or you also can soak your skin in water to soften your affected area.
- Apply the salicylic acid to your wart and cover it with bandages or tapes.
- The next day, you change the bandages and remove the dead tissues 1-2 times a week. Nevertheless, take care because this action can hurt your warts.
- Keep doing this method in 1-2 weeks.
18. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a fabulous source that helps to defeat warts approach excellently because it contains antiseptic, antiviral, and antifungal components. It is easily absorbed by your skin and then kills the virus causing warts. It can eradicate the most stubborn wart on your body without affecting the surrounding skin area. However, due to its intensive effectiveness, you have to dilute this oil with a carrier oil to avoid undesirable impact on your skin.
- Combine 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of carrier oil (almond or olive oil). Dab this solution on your warts several times a day and wait till your warts disappear.
- You can also pour 5-6 drops of tea tree oil into your warm bath water and then soak in it for 15-20 minutes. Repeat this process twice or three times a day. By doing so, you can speed up the treatment period to your warts.
19. Coconut Oil
Coconut is considered one of the most used home remedies for warts removal. You can use coconut oil to alleviate warts because it contains so many properties, which are antibacterial and antiviral. Besides, it also helps to strengthen and moisturize your skin. It further acts as a natural emollient and soothes your skin.
- You cut the coconut slice into small pieces and then shave or grind them to have shred form of coconut
- Squeeze it until oil is extracted and apply this amount of oil to your affected area. Cover with a bandage to save the area.
- Repeat this process several times a week, and then you will see a positive result.
20. Castor Oil
Castor oil can irritate warts, especially small and flat warts on the face or hands. It consists of many compounds, including ricinoleic acid, which can kill off bacteria and virus causing warts. Apart from this, it is loaded with anti-inflammatory effects and is enriched with antioxidants.
- Every night, before your bedtime, you rub the castor oil directly on warts with a clean cotton swab. Repeat this action twice a day.
- Alternatively, after applying castor oil to your warts, you take a clove of garlic and slice it off. Then cover the oil-treated wart with a slice of garlic. Hold the garlic stick with warts by a bandage or medical tape. Leave it overnight and remove the bandage in the morning. Repeat this remedy for 2-3 weeks. During this time, your warts will turn black and fall off your skin.
- You can also mix baking soda with castor oil to form a paste, and then you apply this mixture to the area affected by warts. Cover the area with a bandage. Leave it overnight and remove the bandage in the next morning. Repeat this process several times if necessary.
21. Pure Baking Soda & White Vinegar
Baking soda is another good choice to remove warts due to its strong anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a caustic agent that can destroy warts. Moreover, it is a widely used antiseptic. Repeat this method for some time, and you will see the satisfactory result. You can also use baking soda to make other kinds of solutions to prevent warts attack.
- You can mix baking soda with a teaspoon of white vinegar to make a thick paste. Tap the paste on warts twice a day (once in the morning and once before midnight).
- Alternatively, mix olive oil and baking soda to make a paste. Apply it to your wart and cover it with a patch. You leave it overnight and remove the patch the next morning. Repeat this method for several days until you see a better result.
22. Apple Cider Vinegar
Once you place a cotton swab soaked with apple cider vinegar on your affected area, warts’ virus will immediately be controlled. ACV is also used to heal the skin damage because it contains acetic acid, which is corrosive in nature . If it keeps contact with your skin for longer, it will help to kill off the tissue there.
- Wash the area of warts carefully.
- Soak a cotton ball into ACV. Make sure that it’s not too wet, be saturated enough.
- Place the little cotton ball over your wart and wrap it with a bandage or medical tape.
- Keep the wrapped area in place overnight. Next morning, let the area air out during the day. Repeat this method until all warts are gone.
- If you are bothered with ACV for a whole day, you can apply ACV and secure it with the cotton ball for 10-15 minutes at an interval of the half to 1 hour throughout the day
Note: When you first use ACV to treat your warts, it may cause you burning or stinging feeling.
23. Duct Tape
Duct tape has a light side and a dark side which holds the universe together. Its function is to get the attention of your immune system faster and send it to prevent warts attack. Moreover, using duct tape cuts off the supply of oxygen in the area, and thus helps to shed the wart. The way of using duct tape is also so simple.
- You clean the skin around the warts and dry it completely.
- Cut a patch to cover the area affected by warts, and then you leave it for six days.
- You leave it there and remove the duct tape on the sixth day.
- Soak warts in warm water for about one minute.
- You can use a pumice stone to scrape a wart.
- Leave this wart exposed to the air on the sixth night and reapply the duct tape in the next morning.
- Repeat this method for about 1-2 months. Besides, you can use duct tape with a little toothpaste overnight.
24. Vitamin C
You can use essential minerals such as vitamin C to apply to your warts because of its acidic nature and its direct impact on the virus causing warts. When using vitamin C, there is no reason for you to worry about the safety of the treatment.
Follow the instruction below:
- Prepare one vitamin C tablet.
- Crush it or grind it to get powder of vitamin C. Mix this powder with a little water or enough amount of lemon juice to make a fine paste.
- Rub this paste on your wart and cover it with a bandage. This method can initially cause a burning feeling, but it will soon disappear.
- Reapply this process daily to get a positive result.
25. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is one of the potent home remedies for warts removal. Vitamin E is often used for treating skin issues such as acne or skin malnutrition. Loaded on a vitamin E capsule is a kind of oil which is very helpful in forestalling virus that weakens skin, including warts virus.
Vitamin E oil is also rich in antioxidants and contains anti-inflammatory effects. It speeds up the healing process of these warts.
- Open a vitamin E capsule and rub the oil on the area affected with warts.
- Cover the area with a bandage. Reapply the method 3 times a day. During the night, let warts be exposed to air to help heal the flesh. Repeat this procedure in the next morning.
26. Maintain A Healthy Diet
Apart from following many remedies, you should also pay attention to your diet because it plays a vital role in strengthening your skin and restoring your skin damages. If home remedies for warts removal are launched to create external impacts on your warts, a healthy diet will help create an internal effect on your skin recovery.
To have good health to protect your skin from warts, you should follow the instruction of nutritionists. In general, you should consume foods with a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
If you eat a balanced diet, you will get all the vitamins and minerals you need, and you don’t need any supplement and overdosing can be more harmful. Besides, you should eat foods that help to enhance the operation of the immune system; thereby, it can kill off the virus causing warts. You should eat food with a high degree of beta-carotene, vitamin D, polyphenols, or garlic to promote the immune system. By obeying a strict healthy diet, you can contribute to minimizing the negative effect of warts on your body.
Hopefully, these home remedies for warts removal would partially help you to mitigate the effect of warts on your skin. Remember that these methods are referential if your warts are of typical types and easily removed. For more stubborn and complex types of warts, you should call your doctor to get more useful advice and prescriptions.