GERD is not a dangerous disease and can be treated easily. However, if you let it last for a long time, you may experience some complications such as chronic sinusitis, reflux esophagitis, esophageal reflux, esophageal cancer, and even sudden death in some cases of young children. There are many ways for you to get rid of this disease such as going to the hospital or applying some of the home remedies for GERD that work naturally. In today's article, Effective Remedies will introduce to you 15 most effective home remedies for GERD symptoms in adults and children with familiar ingredients in your home kitchen.
- 29 most effective home remedies for heartburn relief that work naturally & fast
- 30+ unexpected home remedies for acid reflux relief in stomach – 100% natural
- List of 12 foods that cause acid reflux symptoms
15 Most Effective Home Remedies For GERD Symptoms In Adults & Children
1. What Is GERD?
GERD, also known as Gastroesophageal reflux disease, is a gastrointestinal disorder that affects the stomach, muscular ring between the esophagus and the lower esophagus.
2. Symptoms Of GERD
GERD can be identified through the following symptoms:
- Chest pain: Chest pain usually occurs due to stomach acid goes to the esophagus. This is one of the most significant symptoms of GERD. The pain can last longer and be stronger than imagined; therefore, some people mistake GERD for heart disease.
- Heartburn: This is the feeling caused by gastric reflux into the esophagus. In the typical case, heartburn occurs after meals or nighttime coughing due to lying posture. Heartburn will occur more regularly when drinking alcohol or consuming sour drink.
- Bitter mouth: In some cases, stomach acid can reflux into the throat, producing bitterness in the mouth. If you catch this symptom, especially at night, you should see your doctor.
- Nausea, vomiting: These symptoms usually occur due to a change of posture or an exertion. Gastric juice refluxed does not taste and can be mixed with undigested food.
- Difficulty swallowing: Over time, GERD repeats and cause certain damages to the esophagus. This disease can result in swelling of the lower esophagus, narrowing the esophagus, and then leading to difficulty swallowing.
When the disease is worse, you may notice other symptoms such as blood vomiting. To prevent complications, you need to know the initially symptomatic for immediate treatments.
3. Causes Of GERD
There are many causes for GERD as below:
- Eat too much
- Lie down immediately after eating
- Stress: This is a main cause of GERD that many people suffer
- Unhealthy diet: For people with abnormal diet as well as living, the risk of GERD will be higher than normal ones.
- Stomach ulcers, duodenal ulcer
II. Effective Home Remedies For GERD Symptoms In Adults & Children
1. Home Remedies For GERD – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps balance the acid level in your stomach and supports your digestion. It is considered as one of the most effective ingredients to make the homemade remedy for GERD. However, experts recommend not to use the organic apple cider vinegar.
- Add a tsp. of organic ACV to a cup of 4 ounces clean water
- Mix them well and consume it before the meals
2. Home Remedies For GERD – Aloe Vera
In addition to the effects for skincare and treating some simple skin diseases, aloe vera is also very useful in removing the symptoms of GERD. Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties, so it helps soothe inflammation in your esophagus and stomach thus, preventing GERD. The aloe vera leaves also help cool the stomach, thereby calming the heartburn. Europeans have used aloe vera as a homemade remedy for GERD for many centuries.
– Peel off an aloe vera leaf then cut it into pieces
– Put the pieces into a blender then blend them well
– Strain it to take the solution
– Consume the aloe vera juice 20 mins before the meals
It’s recommended to prepare aloe vera juice for one time. You should not keep the juice in refrigerator for next use.
3. Home Remedies For GERD – Licorice Root
Licorice root contains properties that stimulate releasing the mucous membranes of the stomach and at the same time protecting the intestinal mucosa and reducing stomach cramps. You can use licorice root to make the homemade remedy for GERD as the following guide:
- Add a cup of clean water into a pot
- Boil the pot and then add some pieces of dried licorice root to the pot
- Keep boiling for 10 mins then strain it to take the solution
- Consume the solution 20 mins before the meals
4. Home Remedies For GERD – Yellow Mustard
Mustard contains vinegar, a weak acid, and alkaline which help neutralize acid level in the stomach effectively. In addition, yellow mustard contributes to reducing the pH level in your stomach thus preventing GERD. When having this disease, try applying yellow mustard as the natural home remedy for GERD.
- Take a tsp. of yellow mustard and put it in your mouth
- Swallow it immediately to stop GERD. If you find it’s too hard to consume the mustard, use a glass of water. But for people with heartburn, this ingredient may make their condition worse
5. Home Remedies For GERD – Chewing Gum
Chewing gum to remove the discomfort caused by GERD has been shown to be effective by scientists. This study was published in the Journal of Dental Research. Chewing gum will stimulate the production of saliva to wash off the acid and neutralize acid level in your stomach. You can chew sugar-free gum after every meal to prevent GERD. However, you need to avoid mint gum as it will stimulate esophageal sphincter relaxation, which will cause acid reflux.
6. Home Remedies For GERD – Slippery Elm
Slippery Elm includes demulcent which contributes to coating the lining of your stomach and your esophagus. This herb also has anti-inflammatory properties and soothing effects that can relieve the discomfort caused by GERD. However, the secretion of mucus into the gut wall of the slippery elm will reduce the osmotic effect of the drugs. So you should use the slippery elm tea 2 hours before taking any medication.
- Add a tsp. of slippery elm powder to a cup of boiling water
- Let it simmer for 10 mins
- Consume a cup of slippery elm tea thrice a day until you feel your condition is better
7. Home Remedies For GERD – Fennel
Fennel consists of a compound called anethole, which has anti-inflammatory effects for the gastrointestinal tract. Not only that, this herb is very beneficial for reducing stomach cramps and improving your digestion.
- Chew half a tsp. of fennel seeds after every meal
- Add a tsp. of fennel seeds to the pot of boiling water
- Continue to boil the pot for 10 mins and strain the pot to take the solution
- Use a cup of fennel seed tea twice a day after the meals
8. Home Remedies For GERD – Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural antacid that helps neutralize acid level in your stomach and reduce the symptoms of GERD rapidly. However, people with high blood pressure should not use baking soda as a home remedy for GERD as it contains sodium which will affect their health. Baking soda should only be used as a temporary method to prevent the symptoms of GERD instead of being used as long-term therapy.
- Add half a tsp. of baking soda into a glass of cool water
- Mix them well then consume the glass to remove the symptoms of GERD
9. Home Remedies For GERD – Marshmallow
Marshmallow helps protect your gastric mucosa and esophagus due to its high level of mucilage. Besides, it is good at soothing and anti-inflammatory effects. Especially, the taste of the marshmallow tea is great, so it is preferred as one of the home remedies for GERD.
- Add 2 tsp. of dried marshmallow root to a big bowl with 4 cups of water
- Cover the bowl and let it overnight
- Strain out this herb in the next morning and consume the solution
- You should use this marshmallow tea 3 times a day until your GERD is removed
10. Home Remedies For GERD – Ginger
Ginger tea is not only a main ingredient used in the home remedy for GERD, but also many digestive diseases such as abdominal pain, indigestion, or nausea. The recipe using ginger is quite easy to perform. You can use the ginger tea bag for sale in the market or make ginger tea from the fresh root.
- Wash a fragment of fresh ginger, peel and sliced it
- Add a glass of clean water to a pot and boil it
- Add the ginger slices to the pot and boil for 15 mins
- Let it cool down and then consume the ginger tea 30 mins before the meals
11. Home Remedies For GERD – Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea has been used as an effective home remedy for GERD. It helps balance the acid level in your stomach and relieve stress that lead to heartburn. Now making chamomile tea is very convenient as the dried chamomile is available for sale in the market. If you want to feel the pure flavor of chamomile, you can make this tea yourself.
- Boil a cup of clean water in a pot
- Add some chamomile petals to the pot and keep boiling for 5 mins
- Strain this pot to take the solution
- Add some lemon or honey as you like and consume the tea 30 mins before the bedtime
12. Home Remedies For GERD – Garlic
Some people think that garlic is one of the causes of heartburn or GERD. However, this is not entirely accurate. According to research, raw garlic is a great ingredient with anti-inflammatory properties and helps kill pathogenic microorganisms that cause gastritis. So, try using garlic as a natural home remedy for GERD.
- Chew raw garlic when you feel the symptoms of GERD
- Soak the garlic cloves in apple cider vinegar for about a week
- Use it every time you feel GERD
13. Home Remedies For GERD – Artichoke
According to a study about, the caffeoylquinic acid in artichoke stimulates gallbladder secretion and helps reduce GERD's nausea, heartburn and other symptoms. Artichoke is also recommended by doctors for patients suffering from GERD. In addition, this herb also helps a lot resolve simple digestive diseases such as flatulence, indigestion.
- Wash off the a artichoke, cut off its stalk
- Pit it into a pot with 2 glass of water
- Boil the pot for 30 mins, add some sugar then let it cool down
- Consume the artichoke tea several times a day to get rid of GERD’s symptoms
III. Must-Know Tips For GERD
We give you some other methods to prevent GERD's discomfort:
- Consume foods that are rich in vitamin C such as orange, lemon, tomato, etc. as they have very good antioxidant and antihistamine effects.
- Use foods rich in antioxidants such as berries and legumes for reducing GERD as these foods help to decrease ulcers, a major cause of GERD
- Add probiotic foods such as yogurt to your daily diet
- Eat a few almonds or a red apple after each meal to prevent acid reflux
- Determine the causes of your GERD and try to avoid them
- If you are on a diet, you must have a reasonable one. Do not leave the stomach empty for too long because it is easy to cause acid reflux
- Do not eat too much, especially before going to sleep
- High pillow when sleeping to prevent reflux
- Do not sleep on the right side as it will increase the acid reflux ability
- Do exercise to remove the belly fat. It also the cause of GERD as it can force the stomach acids
- Don’t wear too tight clothes, especially tight jeans
Here are 15 most effective home remedies for GERD symptoms in adults and children. These ways use easy-to-find ingredients that are 100% natural and safe. Try them now to feel the changes in your condition. If you don’t feel any improvement in your condition after applying a long time, see your doctor for help as you may catch some other health issues. All contents provided are for informational and educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.