Nowadays, sciatica affects many people. Sciatica pain treatment depends on the cause of the condition and the intensity of the pain. However, do not worry because there are many home remedies for relieving sciatic nerve pain that work really. Continue reading this article that shows you the best natural home remedies for sciatic nerve pain in back and leg on Effective Remedies and understand more about Sciatic nerve pain to know how to deal with it.
16 Natural Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain In Back & Leg
I. What Is Sciatic Nerve Pain?
Sciatic nerve pain (Sciatica) can result from the compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve. It is a severe pain that extends from your lower back to your thigh and down through your leg. Its symptoms such as burning or tingling in the leg, shooting pain make difficulty when you stand up or sit down. This pain also makes the leg and even toes numb and weak.
II. How To Relieve Sciatic Nerve Pain
1. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Turmeric
Turmeric is very helpful for relieving sciatica. As we know, turmeric comes from Asia and is famous for not only its flavor but also its medicinal value. Firstly, the presence of curcumin in turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce inflammation strongly . Moreover, curcumin offers analgesic properties. Nowadays, corticosteroids are drugs which can relieve the pain, but it has many side effects. According to several research studies, curcumin can replace corticosteroid on reducing the pain.  Surprising, curcumin can produce anti-depressant effects.
- Firstly, add a teaspoon of turmeric to a cup of milk. (add a small cinnamon stick if you want)
- Then, boil the solution
- After that, add honey to sweeten this drink (if you want)
- Drink it once or twice daily until you feel an improvement.
People who are taking medications for blood thinners or diabetes and suffering from gallstones should not use turmeric.
2. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Garlic
Garlic is a common ingredient because of its flavor and many benefits. Garlic can keep the body warm, improve blood circulation and relieve the body of aches and pains . Especially, garlic contains anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce inflammation and pain from sciatica. Furthermore, there are many opinions say that the garlic milk is extremely beneficial to reduce sciatica pain. It is very easy to make garlic milk.
- Firstly, mix the milk, water, and crushed garlic cloves
- Next, boil the solution
- Then, cool it
- After that, add a little honey (if you want)
- Drink it twice daily
You should ask the doctor to use garlic if you are taking medication like anticoagulants or having ulcers.
3. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Valerian Root
Anti-inflammatory & antispasmodic abilities found in valerian root not only relax the muscles around the sciatic nerve but also relieve the pain and inflammation.  Surprising, this herb can support sleep thanks to volatile oils in it. This volatile oil is also able to relax your muscles and reduce the tension, so it is very effective to relieve sciatica pain.
- First, add valerian root to water
- Then, boil it
- Cool it for some time
- Add a little honey (if you want)
- Drink it 3-4 times daily
4. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – White Willow Bark
Hundreds of years ago, people use white willow bark to relieve pain and fever. White willow bark is known as a natural aspirin that relieves pain. This medicine gives us analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties because of containing the salicin . White willow bark can also be useful for long-lasting pain relief.  
- Firstly, add white willow bark (2 tsp) to water (a cup)
- Then, boil it
- After that, cool it
- Add some honey (if you want)
- Drink it 3-4 times daily
5. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Fenugreek Seeds
You can use fenugreek to relieve sciatic nerve pain because it has anti-inflammatory & analgesic abilities   . Fenugreek also contains a petroleum ether compound that is good to reduce sciatic nerve pain.
- Firstly, dissolve the powdered fenugreek seeds in boiled milk
- Then, apply the paste to the affected area and let it dry
- Next, wash it off
- Use once or twice daily
6. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Elderberries
All parts of elderberries are useful such as fruit, leaves or flowers. They can help reduce inflammation and pain naturally. 
- Firstly, add a teaspoon of elderberry to hot water
- Next, wait 10 to 15 minutes for it to steep
- Then, drink this tea when it is still warm
- Add a little honey (if you want)
- Drink it 2-3 times daily.
7. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Horseradish
Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties, the horseradish can reduce sciatica. 
- Firstly, mince some horseradish to make a paste
- Then, apply this paste to the affected area after heating it
- Next, use a clean washcloth to wrap it
- Leave it overnight
- Do this method daily before going to bed.
8. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Lemon
Lemon is a common ingredient in every kitchen. Can you believe that lemon can treat the problem of sciatica? As we know, lemon is rich in vitamin C which is an anti-inflammatory vitamin.   Using lemon usually can ease soreness, swelling, and pain.  You should drink the lemonade every day and add little honey to increase the flavor if you want.
9. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Grape
Grapes are used commonly for health purposes. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties, the grape can help reduce sciatica associated swelling, pain, muscle tension and restore the normal mobility.
10. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has a large number of vital minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium. All these minerals are very helpful for sciatic nerve pain. Apple cider vinegar is also a natural anti-inflammatory agent, so it is effective in relieving sciatica.  
- Firstly, add some teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to warm water
- Next, add a cup of salt to this mixture and mix well
- Then, you soak your feet with this mixture for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Do this 3-4 times a week
11. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Ginger
A long time ago, the Chinese used ginger to relieve nausea, arthritis, headaches, menstrual cramps and muscle soreness. It can also reduce the inflammation and pain associated with sciatica . The ginger has many amazing benefits because of containing the anti-inflammatory and analgesic nature.
- Firstly, add ginger to a cup of hot water and wait for steeping
- Then, strain the ginger tea
- After that, when the tea is hot enough, add a little honey if you want
- Drink at least three times daily
12. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Water
Drinking enough water helps minimize inflammation and reduces the pain associated with inflammation. Moreover, water helps to strengthen the nerves and muscles.
13. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Hot And Cold Compress
Although these are the easiest ways, they are effective to reduce sciatic nerve pain. While a hot compress can help relieve inflammation and relax the tensed muscles, a cold compress aids in numbing the pain .
- Put a hot (cold) pack or heating (iced) pad on the affected area for 15-20 minutes
- Repeat the procedure until you see the reduction of the pain
- For the hot compress, make sure that the temperature does not cause burns. We do not use this method on the areas with open wounds. People with acute inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, active bleeding, cancer, skin infection, and venous ulcers and who have recent infection or fever should avoid this method.
- For the cold compress, people with circulatory problems should not use it.
14. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Massage With Special Oils
- John’s Wort oil: once or twice a day. This oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve sciatica pain and inflammation.
- Sesame Oil: a few times a day for a few weeks. You can mix a cup sesame oil and three teaspoons nutmeg, and then heat the solution.
15. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Sleep
For the patients with sciatica, sleep can help them relax your muscle, rebuild your nerve, balance the temperature and make sure that their body parts perform their optimal roles. Therefore, it is necessary to sleep in a dark room with no artificial light, which helps the body relax. The most important thing is that it is best to sleep on a firm surface.
16. Home Remedies For Sciatic Nerve Pain – Exercise
Doing exercise helps strengthen the muscles, especially back muscles and abdominal muscles, which is very useful for the patients with sciatic nerve pain because it can improve the healing process. However, before starting, you should ask the doctor for advice to have the right exercise program.
III. How To Prevent Sciatic Nerve Pain From Recurring
- Avoid sitting or standing for a long time
- Stand and sit with the good posture
- Practice yoga and exercises 
- Have an anti-inflammatory diet that including leafy vegetables, fish, water, egg, turmeric, and foods rich in magnesium & vitamin B12.
IV. When To See Doctor?
These simple treatments above will help you in case unserious problem. When your pain is serious, you must go to see the doctor, and medical professionals will suggest that you undergo a sciatica surgery.
Sciatica becomes common in the modern life and has negative effects on our health. However, knowing this pain makes it easy to protect ourselves and treat sciatica. We hope that this article is useful for you to have effective treatments for the sciatic nerve pain. Please share us your thoughts if you have ideas for treating sciatic nerve pain in back & leg. If you want to know more about the home remedies for other diseases, please visit the main Home Remedies page.