Diabetic patients need to pay special attention to their diet. They have to consider very carefully before deciding to choose food for their meals. They always have to make the question of whether this food is good or bad. And the question of “is cabbage good for diabetics?” is still a big concern of many people, both diabetic patients and scientists. This article on Effective Remedies will give you the answer to the above question. Keep reading to learn more.
- Top 14 helpful ways to prevent diabetes naturally
- Top 20 time-tested treatments for diabetes (This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Millie Lytle, ND, MPH)
Is Cabbage Good For Diabetics? And How To Use It At Home
I. Cabbage – Nutritional Profile
Cabbage contains a rich source of vitamin B1, B6, C, K, fiber, manganese, copper, potassium, folate, etc. These vitamins and minerals are crucial to people's health. Moreover, cabbage has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help protect your body from infection and heal wounds fast. Glucosinolates and phytonutrients in cabbage will help to detoxify your body, while natural bacteria of this food create probiotics, which are beneficial for your digestive and gut health.
However, cabbage contains no-calorie and very little fat; so it is considered to be good for overweight and obese people.
II. Is Cabbage Good For Diabetics?
Firstly, it has a glycemic index of only 10, so eating cabbage does not affect the blood sugar. Moreover, a cup of well-cooked cabbage contains only 35 calories, which is safe for diabetic patients.
Secondly, the vitamins and minerals in cabbage will help your body recover fast from diabetes. Especially, cabbage has a high content of vitamin C, which is useful for boosting the immune system to help you fight against diseases better.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
A study conducted at the UAE University in 2007 gave much useful information about the role of cabbage for diabetes. They induced diabetes to rats. During the time of studying, all rats showed the symptoms of diabetes. Then, they added cabbage extract to these rats' diet within two months. After the research, the diabetic symptoms in those rats were relieved, even the most severe one. They realized that cabbage did not raise the blood glucose levels, but it helped store the renal function and reduce body weight. They concluded that the antihyperglycemic and antioxidant properties of cabbage extract contributed a lot to the treatment of diabetes.
To sum up, cabbage is low in calories, fat, and glycemic index but very high in fiber. So it is very good for people's health, even diabetic patients. Also, cabbage can lower blood sugar levels and assist in losing weight. This is an essential function because diabetic patients can be overweight or obese very easily.
III. How To Make Cabbage For Diabetics
1. Cabbage Juice
Things you need
- Organic green cabbage
- Two cups of distilled water
How to do
- Wash and chop cabbage into small pieces and put them in a blender
- To this blender, add water and start to mix at low speed for 3 minutes
- Blend at high speed for about 10 minutes
- Pour cabbage juice into a jar and drink a cup of this juice each meal.
Note: Please do not keep cabbage juice in the fridge; drink the fresh one for the best result.
2. Steamed Cabbage
Things you need
- One green cabbage
- One and a half teaspoons of crystalline fructose
- A half teaspoon of crushed hot pepper flakes
- A quarter cup of apple cider vinegar
- Two teaspoons of caraway seeds
- Black pepper
- A quarter teaspoon of salt
- One diced red bell pepper
How to do
- Core the cabbage and cut it into thin slices
- Add fructose, pepper flakes, vinegar, caraway seeds, black pepper, salt, and water to a small saucepan, boil for about 4 minutes to make a sauce and then remove from the stove
- Boil 1 inch of water in a kettle. Put bell pepper and cut cabbage in a steamer basket and place over the boiling water
- Cover and steam for about 3 minutes. Then, remove from the heat and put cabbage and bell pepper in a bowl
- Pour the above sauce into this bowl through a strainer
- Enjoy steamed cabbage you have prepared.
3. Cabbage Soup
Things you need
- One cored and quartered cabbage
- Canola oil spray
- One chopped onion
- A half-cup of peeled and cubed potatoes
- A quarter teaspoon of nutmeg
- Two tablespoons of flour
- Two cups of milk
- Two cups of chicken broth
- Some vegetables
- Salt and pepper
- One tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
- One tablespoon of fresh chopped chives
- Two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
How to do
- Boil water and put the cabbage in a bowl. Pour boiling water into this bowl and leave it for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, take cabbage, dry using paper towels and slice thinly
- Cover a saucepan with oil, sauté onion till tender. Add cabbage, potato and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add nutmeg, flour and stir for 2 more minutes. Gradually pour milk and broth into this mixture and keep stirring until boil
- Reduce the heat and leave it to stay for about 20 minutes
- Remove it from the stove and cool it down
- In a blender, puree vegetables until smooth, pour into the saucepan, add salt and pepper, and boil the mixture. You finish the process of making cabbage soup
- Ladle cabbage soup into a bowl, spring parsley, parmesan, and chives and enjoy.
IV. Tips And Precautions
- It is crucial to remember that cabbage contains phytochemicals, which are linked to cancer and heart disease risks.
- Cabbage can cause gas, bloating, and some other stomach issues after eating due to the harmful effects of sulfur and raffinose.
- Also, diabetic patients should pay attention to their daily habits such as checking blood sugar levels every day, keep doing exercises 30 minutes per day, managing stress, etc. to keep diabetes under control.
- People with diabetes should see the doctor at least once a year to get advice and to make sure that diabetes causes no further damage to kidneys, eyes, heart, etc.
Above is the answer to the question “is cabbage good for diabetics?” We want to reconfirm that cabbage is good for both people with diabetes and healthy ones. If you have any questions or other ways, you can leave your comment under this article. For other natural and effective remedies for health and beauty problems, you can visit our DIY Recipes to get more information.
The content available in this post is provided for educational and informational purposes. Therefore, you are advised to consult your doctor before following any method.