Hiccup, also known as the uncontrolled contraction of the diaphragm or synchronous diaphragmatic muscles, is a common issue we face every day. Hiccups are created by contracting muscles that lead you to breathe fast, and it is followed by the sudden closure of your vocal cords. Hiccups can last for a minute, some minutes, or even hours depending on the cause of the disease. We can only recognize hiccups through the sound created or sometimes tightening in the chest. Hiccups can lead to chest pain and stomach cramps for suffers. If hiccups last only a minute, you may not care about them. However, with hiccups that last for a few minutes or hours, they can bring you troubles, especially when you are working or in the crowd. Hiccups may be caused by several factors, such as eating too fast, eating too many foods, drinking too much alcohol or gas drink, some sense of excitement or stress, smoking, thermal shock, and swallowing the air while chewing or eating something, and so on. Instead of taking medicine, there are many ways to cure hiccups with natural ingredients in your kitchen. Today, Effective Remedies will show you the most effective home remedies for hiccups in adults that work naturally.
Top 20 Effective Home Remedies For Hiccups In Adults That Work Naturally
1. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Cold Water
Drinking cold water will shock your system, so they will stop your hiccups in just a few seconds to a minute. Cold water will cause distraction to your nervous system, and make it no longer notice the hiccups, therefore, your hiccups disappear. There are several effective home remedies for hiccups with cold water that you can easily apply at home:
- Add 2 or 3 tsp. of honey in a glass of cold water
- Drink this glass and your hiccups will disappear immediately
- Rinse your mouth with cold water or hold a patch of ice in your mouth for a few seconds. These ways also help you get rid of troubles with hiccups quickly.
2. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Hold Your Breath
Holding the breath to cure hiccups has been used for a long time, and it is still very effective. Holding the breath not only distracts your mind like drinking cold water, but it also increases the amount of carbon dioxide in your blood. So, it can stop the hiccups very quickly. You only need to follow the instructions below to treat the hiccups:
How to do:
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
- Take a deep breath and keep the air in your chest as long as possible, and try not to let the air escape.
- When you reach your limits, exhale slowly and gradually.
- Repeat the actions until your hiccups go away.
3. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Vinegar
Vinegar is another considerable home remedy for hiccups. Just like cold water, vinegar will distract your mind and then cause the hiccups to stop. You can use apple cider vinegar, white vinegar or malt vinegar for this method.
- Take half of a tsp. of vinegar then swallow it and followed by a cup of water. Your hiccups will stop immediately.
- Mix 3 tsp. of water with one tsp. of vinegar in a cup.
- Swallow the mixture slowly then your hiccups will disappear.
4. Effective Home Remedies For Hiccups – Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is an effective method you should consider when catching hiccups. Peanut butter is sticky and gooey, so it will stick to your teeth and tongue when you chew it. In the process of trying to get it out of your teeth and tongue, your breathing and swallowing patterns will be interrupted. So, the hiccups go away.
How to do:
- Take a tsp. of peanut butter and put it in your mouth.
- Hold the peanut butter in your mouth in some seconds and then swallow it without chewing.
- If you find it hard to swallow it, you can drink some water.
5. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Sugar
Sugar is used as a simple remedy to treat hiccups because sugar graininess can irritate your esophagus and create phrenic nerves to redesign themselves. That, in turns, causes suffers to forget the hiccups. This home remedy for hiccups is especially useful for young children because they are especially safe and easy to follow. However, this method is not for diabetes patients.
How to do:
- Take a tsp. of brown or white sugar.
- Put the spoon into your mouth and hold it for some seconds.
- Let the sugar dissolve in your mouth slowly, and try not to chew it.
- Drink some sip of water, and the hiccups will disappear.
6. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Cardamom
When you eat too fast or consume too much fatty food or gas drink, there is airborne exposure to your esophagus and lungs, which causes hiccups. Using cardamom is an effective way to cure hiccups in these cases. This herb is a muscle relaxant and includes some compounds that help to remove gas from the lungs. So, it is very helpful in reducing hiccups.
- Add a tsp. of cardamom powder to a cup of hot water.
- Let it for 15 mins then drink this cup slowly.
- Take five fresh cardamoms then grind them well.
- Pour the ground cardamom into a pot of boiling water.
- Keep boiling this pot for five mins then strain the solution.
- Let it cool down enough then drink the warm infusion.
If you want to get a better taste, you can add some peppermint leaves.
7. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Chamomile
As we’ve mentioned above, one of the main causes of hiccups is the contraction of the diaphragm. Chamomile tea is very good relaxation. Chamomile helps relieve contraction in the diaphragm and causes the hiccups to disappear. Besides helping to solve the hiccups, chamomile tea also helps you relax thanks to its fragrance and relaxation properties.
- Add one tsp. of dried chamomile in a glass of hot water.
- Leave it for ten mins then drink the chamomile tea slowly.
- Drip some drops of chamomile essential oil to a brown paper bag.
- Hold this bag around your nose and take breaths slowly and deeply until your hiccups disappear.
8. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Ginger
Ginger is known for its outstanding anti-inflammatory properties that will help reduce diaphragm contraction, one of the main causes of hiccups. Besides, ginger is also very useful for hiccups caused by indigestion. It can be said that ginger is a great home remedy for hiccups. Using ginger also helps you to prevent some common diseases very well.
- Take 2-3 slices of fresh ginger and put them in your mouth.
- Hold them in your mouth and suck on the ginger slices for 1 min.
- Take some slices of fresh ginger and put them in a pot
- Boiling this pot for a min then pour it into a cup.
- Let it cool down enough then slowly sip it.
9. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Asafoetida
Asafoetida, known as hing, is the extremely powerful and effective home remedy for hiccups by relaxing the diaphragm. This is a unique method that is less known to cure hiccups.
How to do:
- Add a tsp. of asafoetida and a tsp. of butter in a small cup and mix them well.
- Put the mixture in your mouth and then try to swallow it.
- Then the hiccups will disappear right away
10. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Lemon
Lemon is the perfect ingredient in the list of effective home remedies for hiccups. The sour taste of lemon causes the nerves to become irritated, thereby distracting your mind and leading to stop hiccups. When using lemon as a material for treating hiccups, you should choose fresh lemon and ensure hygiene. People with gastritis disease or a history of stomach illness should avoid this method because the acid in lemon can cause pain for them.
- Slice a lemon
- Hold a lemon slice in your mouth. The overwhelming sourness of lemon will make you obliged to swallow it or spit out. During that time, you are distracted, and the hiccups disappear.
- Take half of a tsp. of undiluted lemon juice and put it in your mouth.
- The overpowering taste of lemon will distract your mind and then the hiccup stop.
- Squeeze a lemon and mix the juice with half of a glass of water.
- Drink this mixture quickly.
- Put a little salt on a slice of lemon.
- Put it in your mouth and slowly suck the juice out of the lemon slice.
11. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Breathe Into A Paper Bag
Another tip to cure hiccups is inhaling in a paper bag. When you perform this action, the amount of carbon dioxide in your blood will rise. That causes your diaphragm to contract deeper to get more oxygen. So, your hiccups will be stopped immediately. Although this is an effective home remedy for hiccups, it isn’t recommended for stroke and heart patients.
How to do:
- Press a paper bag around the mouth tightly.
- Inhale deeply and slowly into this bag.
- Repeat this action until the hiccups go away.
- Remember to keep the paper bag tightly until you stop performing this method.
12. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Inhale, Inhale, And Exhale
This method is recommended by Dr. Luc G. Morris. He said that to treat hiccups, what you need to do is to relax diaphragm, increase oxygen levels and reduce carbon dioxide levels and create a smooth and seamless airway. And this method will help you achieve all that things.
How to do:
- Inhale deeply and hold it on for 10 seconds.
- Breathe in slightly and hold it on for 5 seconds.
- Repeat this one more time and breathe out slowly.
In addition to the prominent home remedies for hiccups, we offer you more effective tips for treating hiccups:
- Sing or laugh loudly to reduce the attention to hiccups.
- Consume a little gas drink or something that can cause you to belch.
- Hold the end of your tongue and pull it out of your mouth.
- Place your fingers in your ears and breathe deeply and gradually for a minute.
- Cup the hands around the mouth and nose and breathe normally.
- Keep your knees on your chest until the hiccups disappear.
- Bend your body down from the waist and drink some water from a glass placed on the floor using a straw.
Above is the list of 20 effective home remedies for hiccups in adults made from all natural and familiar ingredients around us. In addition to giving these methods, we also recommend avoiding factors causing hiccups such as overeating, over-consumption of fatty foods and gas drinks, etc. Hope that the methods from our Home Remedies page will be helpful for you. All content provided are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you. Thanks for reading!