Dark skin, brown spots, wrinkles, oily skin, blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, etc. are the problems that annoy you a lot. Especially if you have acne-prone skin, you will be scared of this issue all the time. There is the fact that 3 in 4 people at the age of 11 – 30 get in trouble with acne very often. You may think about using cosmetics to heal acne spots; however, this way is not practical because cosmetics often contain harmful chemicals. Therefore, modern women turn into applying home remedies with natural ingredients. Our article today on Effective Remedies will go into detail about the best ways on how to get rid of acne spots on face and fast and effectively. Scroll down!
- Top 48 excellent remedies for acne scars
- Top 43 time-tested treatments for acne
- Top 33 foods that lead to acne breakouts
- 9 Best Natural Home Cures For Rosacea On The Face. This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Millie Lytle, ND, MPH.
21 Effective Ways To Get Rid Of Acne Spots On Face & Body Fast
I. What Causes Acne Spots?
There are many reasons for acne spots such as bacteria, inflammation, clogged pores, etc. Here are some of the most common causes of acne you may not have known:
- Spicy foods: Those foods are often rich in acidic lycopene, which can cause irritation and breakouts.
- Oily skin: People with oily skin can get acne easily. When the glands produce too much oil, it will clog the dust and impurities under your skin and cause infection – one of the leading causes of acne spots.
- The use of cosmetics: Using cosmetics without knowing their origins can cause acne in people with sensitive skin. It even causes many other severe skin diseases such as rosacea and skin cancer.
- Smoke: It seems to be unbelievable, but cigarette smoking can cause acne. When you have a cigarette, the smoke will absorb into your skin surface and reduce the elastin and collagen in your skin. Therefore, it causes aging signs, including wrinkles, age spots, and acne spots.
- When you get acne and pimples, if you cannot stop yourself from scrubbing the spots, the condition may become more serious.
II. Foods To Heal Acne Spots
If you believe that foods can help to repair everything, keep reading the following part. We will introduce to you some special foods that aid you in the process of treating acne spots.
Avocado is a significant source of vitamin E and monounsaturated fats; so it helps to keep your skin glowing and is a useful way on how to get rid of acne spots. The antibacterial properties of avocado can help to soothe the inflammation caused by bacteria and germs and prevent the damage of free radicals, while vitamin E available in this excellent fruit also contributes to both treating acne and nourishing your skin.
2. Green Tea
Green tea has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which may help to cleanse your skin very effectively  . Drinking green tea every day will help limit the production of sebum, while boosting your immune system to fight infectious diseases, including acne spots. Especially, matcha green tea is considered the most useful tea for acne treatment. You are advised to drink about 5 cups of green tea per day to keep your skin fresh.
3. Leafy Green
Leafy greens such as broccoli, kale, spinach, collards, and lettuce contain a large number of nutrients, soluble fiber, and vitamins, which can bring you healthy and glowing skin. Moreover, they provide your skin with antioxidants to fight against skin diseases.
EffectiveRemedies Partner Solutions
Ask a Doctor Online and Get Answers in Minutes, Anytime!
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
Spices and herbs such as cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, rosemary, and oregano help solve this problem from the inside to the outside. They have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties and contain protective antioxidants, so they help you overcome skin diseases very quickly, not only acne but also rosacea, wrinkles, aging spots, etc.
5. Fermented Foods
Fermented foods are raw sauerkraut, kombucha, yogurt, kefir, etc. These foods contain good bacteria, so it helps detoxify your skin and prevent the inflammation. Consuming them will help to maintain radiant skin and a healthy body.
6. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are crucial to your skin's glow and health. These healthy fats are found in salmon, walnuts, chia seeds, mackerel, trout, and flaxseed. They help to tackle the breakouts and detoxify your skin. Therefore, try to add more omega-3 fatty acids to your diet, at least thrice per week, to remove acne spots quickly and effectively.
III. Lifestyle Change To Deal With Acne Spots
1. Do Exercise Regularly
Exercising every day will help you to maintain both your health and appearance. Exercising helps to keep all of the organs in your body, especially your skin healthy. As stated by many studies, exercise can reduce anxiety and stress, both of which care causes contributing to acne  . Besides, it helps transfer oxygen to the underlying skin cells to keep them younger and younger. While doing physical activities, your body will sweat out the excess heat and toxins. Taking a warm bath after doing exercise will bring additional effects to your body and skin. The dust, impurities, and bacteria will also be removed; thereby, it helps deeply cleanse your skin and nourish it.
2. Sleep Enough
Sleeping according to a strict schedule also contributes to eliminating the acne spots. Going to bed late and sleep deprivation will make your skin dull and dry. It makes you look tired the next morning. So, balance your working and relaxing time to sleep at least 7 – 8 hours per day.
3. Cleanse Your Mobile Phone Daily
Scientists showed that your phone might contain many germs and bacteria, which can move from your hand to your face. Moreover, the heat from your phone can make the bacteria multiply faster. Therefore, to prevent the bacteria from harming your skin, cleanse your cell phone correctly by wiping its surface with a little hand sanitizer daily.
4. Drink Enough Water
Water is the cheapest but the best ingredient for beautiful skin. Drinking enough water helps your skin and body to flush out toxins. Especially, drinking water on your empty stomach every morning will help you lose weight and keep your body and skin hydrated.
IV. How-To Tips
1. Be Careful With Cosmetics
Cosmetics are sometimes useful for treating this skin issue; however, most of the time, they are not. Therefore, be careful when choosing skin care products. You should select the one with a good origin and brand. Also, check its ingredients before buying as it may contain chemicals that are harmful to your skin and may worsen your situation.
2. Exfoliate Regularly
As we said above, when too much oil is produced, the dust will remain on your skin, clog the pores and cause acne spots. Therefore, it is necessary to exfoliate your skin regularly to remove harmful germs and dead skin cells . It is acceptable to exfoliate several times per week. If you have dry hair, reduce the time of exfoliating.
3. Cleanse Your Face Twice Per Day
During the day, you may wear makeup or suffer from sweating and dust; therefore, cleanse your face two times per day, in the morning and before going to bed. If you do not, these elements will remain in your skin and cause acne and blackheads. Remember to wash your face gently and do not break the acne spots; or else, it will make your condition worse.
4. Apply Sunscreen Before Going Out
Do not hesitate to apply sunscreen when you have to go out. Even on rainy or cloudy days, there are still UV rays that can damage your skin. These rays will destroy your skin cells, increase the risk of skin cancer, and make the acne more serious. When buying sunscreen, choose the one with SPF of more than 30 and look for ingredients such as oxybenzone, methoxycinnamate, and zinc oxide to assist your acne treatment.
V. Home Remedies For Acne Spots
When being combined with the above methods, the remedies following will work very well to help you treat the acne spots.
1. Aloe Vera For Acne Spots
Aloe vera can help to treat acne effectively thanks to the rich content of antioxidants, gibberellins, and polysaccharides. Aloe vera also possesses sulfur and salicylic acid, which are commonly used in the treatment of acne. According to several studies, applying salicylic acid to your skin may significantly decrease acne  . It helps cleanse the sebum deep in the pores while improving collagen production. The zinc and vitamin C and E in aloe vera will help to relieve the redness and nourish your skin after treating acne.
Remedy 1: Aloe Vera And Lemon Juice
Things you need
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel
- A few drops of lemon juice
How to do
- Squeeze a fresh lemon to take the juice
- Mix aloe vera gel with lemon juice well
- Apply the mixture to the affected area and leave it for about 10 minutes
- Wash it off with warm and followed by fresh water
- Use a soft towel to dry your skin and apply a natural moisturizer.
Note: If lemon juice is not your favorite, you can use grapefruit juice instead.
Remedy 2: Aloe Vera And Garlic
Things you need
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera
- 3 cloves of garlic
- A half-cup of water
- A cotton ball
How to do
- Grind garlic cloves and mix the ground one with water
- Take 2 tablespoons of garlic juice and mix it with aloe vera
- Apply this mixture to your acne spots using a cotton ball
- Massage your skin gently
- Wash it off by using fresh water and dry your skin.
2. Papaya For Acne Spots
Papaya masks can help to remove dead skin cells and excess oil from your skin. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties, papaya helps relieve the redness and swelling caused by acne. The lycopene in papaya will protect your skin from free radicals and adverse environmental factors. Also, it promotes the regeneration of new skin cells after treating acne spots and makes your skin smooth and bright if you apply this mark regularly.
Remedy 1: Papaya And Apple Cider Vinegar
Things you need
- 2 tablespoons of papaya powder
- A few drops of apple cider vinegar
- Some water
- A clean cloth
How to do
- Mix papaya powder with apple cider vinegar and water well
- Soak the cloth into this mixture, wring to remove the excess water and apply it to the acne spots
- Let it stay for several minutes
- Spread the rest amount to your skin
- Wait for 20 minutes
- Remove with lukewarm water and dry your skin.
Remedy 2: Papaya, Sandalwood, And Honey
Things you need
- A few pieces of ripe papaya
- 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey
How to do
- Mix well all of the above ingredients using a blender
- Wash your skin and apply this mixture
- Let it stay for about 10 minutes
- Cleanse it off with fresh water and pat dry
- Do this process thrice per week; you will see the improvement soon.
3. Banana Peel For Acne Spots
Banana peel is a significant source of starch – a substance that helps remove excess oil and prevents acne. It also has antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties; so it removes the dead skin cells and kills the bacteria and fungus causing breakouts. Being rich in magnesium, iron, and calcium, the banana peel is useful in soothing the redness and irritation from acne spots. Your skin will also be nourished by applying banana peel masks as they provide your skin with vitamin A, C, E, B, and hydrating enzymes to maintain the glow and smoothing.
Remedy 1: Banana Peel And Turmeric
Things you need
- 1 ripe banana
- Turmeric powder
How to do
- Take a banana peel and mash it using a fork
- Add a suitable amount of turmeric powder to the mashed banana peel to form a paste
- Add water to the above mixture, drop by drop until you get a thick paste
- Apply this mixture to the acne spots on your face and body
- Combine with massaging gently
- Let it stay for 15 minutes
- Use cold water to wash it off and dry your skin.
- Repeat this remedy every 2 days to achieve the desired result
Note: If your skin is dry, apply a natural moisturizer for the final step.
Remedy 2: Banana Peel And Baking Soda
Things you need
- A rip banana peel
- A half tablespoon of baking soda
- A cotton ball
How to do
- Use a fork to mash the banana peel
- Take 1 tablespoon of mashed banana peel and mix it with baking soda
- Add a suitable amount of water, drop by drop until you form a fine paste
- Apply this mixture to the acne skin area using a cotton ball
- Combine with massaging your skin gently in circular motions
- Wash it off after a minute and dry your skin
- Apply this remedy every within a week to get rid of acne spots fast.
VI. How To Prevent Them From Reoccurring
In many cases, the acne spots come back after a short time of treating. To know what the reasons are and how to prevent it from recurring, keep reading this part.
- If you wash your face without cleansing your hands in advance, you may have trouble with acne again and again. The bacteria on your hands will transfer to your face during the washing process if you do not wash it off before. Therefore, remember to wash your hands first and then wash your face.
- The wrong face wash and moisturizer can cause acne and allergies, so you need to consider their ingredients carefully before deciding to buy them.
- Not removing makeup before going to bed will facilitate the bacteria to harm your skin. Besides, the cosmetics which are not removed will cause inflammation and breakouts on your skin surface. Thus, remove the makeup before bedtime in spite of any reasons.
- Touching your face with hands can also cause acne reoccurring. As we had said, the bacteria in your hands will transfer into your skin and cause diseases. This bad habit will also bring adverse effects to your skin layer and pores.
- You wash your face twice per day, remove makeup before going to bed, do not touch your skin with hands, but you still get acne spots; check your pillow immediately. The sebum and germs from your hair can be easily stored in your pillow; so they will harm your facial skin when you lie down. No one knows precisely how many germs are available in your pillow, but we can make sure that it is severe if you have not washed your pillow for two weeks.
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
1. Should I Limit Wearing Makeup When Getting Acne?
The answer is no. You do not have to stop making up entirely but try another type or brand as the old one may be the cause of breakouts. You should choose the cream or gels with the label “noncomedogenic.” These types of cosmetics will not clog the pores, so they help manage acne spots better.
2. Can Acne Spots Be Treated Completely?
Acne spots often disappear at the end of puberty. However, some adults still get trouble with acne. Therefore, if you are in this case, try the above-recommended remedies. If they are not sufficient enough, consult a dermatologist to find out the most suitable solution for you.
3. Why Does Acne Happen Most In Teenagers?
Acne happens most in teenagers because of the hormone fluctuation. Especially in men, the hormone testosterone starts to surge at puberty; that is the reason why most teenagers get acne.
4. When To See The Doctor?
If your acne spots last for more than six weeks, you have to see your doctor to check up and get advice. Also, before deciding to use any medication, consult a doctor to make sure that it is safe for you. Or else, the condition will become more severe and even cause skin cancer.
A straightforward remedy will not help, so combine some of the above methods at the same time: improve your diet together with changing lifestyle and applying natural remedies. If you have any other ways on how to get rid of acne spots, share your experience with us by commenting under this article.
All content provided is for informational and educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.